It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Thee Behind Me, Left Side of My Brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I just viewed this post which is several months old. Here is the link:

www.abovetopsecret.com

This was an extremely moving story this woman gave. But what was best about it was the fact that it made me realize something about myself that I have never been able to figure out.

I was going to respond to another post a few days ago that briefly mentioned meditation. I chose not to reply since it wasn't in tandem with the main topic of the thread.

My reply would have been something to the effect of my confusion over why it is that I cannot ever seem to meditate. Every single time I try I can't seem to shut up my mind. I can't get it to quiet the heck down!! and after about 15 minutes of cycling in and out of quietness, where I'm suddenly rattled by my thoughts, I just give up.

But after seeing this woman's speech, I realized that it's because, for some reason, I can't shut the left side of my brain up! It just keeps rambling. It's like a talkative teenage girl who you ask to please stop talking but after only a minute or two she just can't help herself. Like she has to hear the sound of her own voice to feel alive.

Except, for me, apparently it's not the sound of my voice but the sound of my thoughts that make me feel alive.

I consider my self to be a "dual brained" person with slightly more leaning to the left part of my brain. I definitely tend to over analyze things and can't seem to ever STOP thinking. Like my brain can carry on 3 different conversations at once. I understand numbers to an extent and science also interests me, to a point. But I definitely have a love of nature, art, music and other things that go along with the workings of the right side of the brain. I also can understand the metaphysical and at times feel like I am a tiny speck in an infinitesimal universe.

I wonder if any of you have or have had this problem. If so, how are you trying to or how did you over come it. I'm not saying I want to totally do away with the working of my left brain because obviously there are some things about it that are necessary in order to be able to function in this physical life. I just want to figure out how to strengthen my right side. To be able to just quiet my mind sometimes and just chill out.

Thought's, opinions, advice, ideas...anyone???

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
I wonder if any of you have or have had this problem. If so, how are you trying to or how did you over come it. I'm not saying I want to totally do away with the working of my left brain because obviously there are some things about it that are necessary in order to be able to function in this physical life. I just want to figure out how to strengthen my right side. To be able to just quiet my mind sometimes and just chill out.

I have this same problem actually, the only way I can seem to quiet my own thoughts is to daydream and exert constant control, or to have an outside input, either music or the tv.

I actually had to give up on a certain illicit substance because under its influence my brain went into what seemed like overdrive, and I would zone out into my own thoughts.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by eNumbra]
edit: What harman said below me too.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by eNumbra]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Heh, i have the same problem. Don't think about not thinking is the trick

Your mind will blabber away as long as you resist it. Like some person that loves any kind of reaction no matter what. Don't push the thoughts away but don't interact with them either.

Good luck!

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Harman]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This reminds me of a story I heard on NPR while driving north to Canada from Oklahoma last week.

The story teller, who was going through a depression at the time, was taking a bus to Oxford University in England when, as usual, a woman got on the bus.

She would always talk to herself and to somebody (invisible) else in an angry tone....argue back and forth in a conversation with her invisible friend.

This particular day the story teller decided to follow her and to his dismay found that she was a student at Oxford as well.

In utter shock and depression furthered by his little discovery he went into the nearest latrine.

The storyteller had held out hope that his quest for answers could be found at Oxford yet he had found only more questions upon his studies at Oxford and this crazy lady seemed to be the crowning jewel of the thorn in his side.

As he washed his hands he heard a voice say "well at least you’re not as crazy as the lady on the bus".

A fellow student in the latrine peered at him in a queer way.

It suddenly dawned upon him that he had just spoken his grievous thought out loud!

This gave him a eureka moment.

He has now penned a couple of books based on the initial idea.
eckharttolle.com...

(the story i told may not be exact...i was not paying full attention to it)

[edit on 22-8-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I like that...just let them be, right? Kinda like my analogy of the annoying talkative teenage girl. She'll shut up as soon as she realizes your not paying attention to her at all.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Very interesting indeed. I remember my boyfriend and I stopped at the convenient store so he could get some smokes. He got back in the car and commented on the old man sitting on the bench outside the doors (apparently, people over 40 are the exception to the "No Loitering" rule
) He was fervently talking to himself.

I wonder is some people aren't able to keep their conflicting thoughts inside their mind and have to speak them allowed. You know? Like your brain is of course "thinking" at any given moment. And I'm sure most can agree that you usually have an ongoing dialog going on. Maybe for some people, the "other voice" has to speak allowed.

top topics

join