It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does VP matter? Is your mind already made up?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Looks like the BullyPulpit isn't quite up yet. Please try and not get too far off topic with this one..

I pose a simple question to all my esteemed colleagues here on ATS: Will Obama or McCain's choice for their respective running mates honestly affect your 2008 decision? Is your mind already made up?

If your mind is already made up due to your ideology that is an acceptable response. However, please state specifically how your ideology plays a larger role in your decision than either candidate's VP pick. You can talk about anything you want as long as you relate it to the primary question.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

I'll say this first and foremost. I will be voting for John McCain in November. However, there are still plenty of things about him that bug me in regards to policy and voting record.

I realize the VP is a minor role in the grand scheme of things, but a good choice for McCain will make me feel a little better about my decision. If McCain picks Romney, I will gladly vote for them. If however, McCain were to pick someone with Lieberman, I may have to vote for Barr or something.

And by the way...the Bully forum is up now.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by nyk537]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I don't know, if McCain picked Brock Lesner, I would be pretty pumped for that. And if Obama picked Rose McGowen, that would be equally impressive. But they are probably going to choose some old farts.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Since it is within the realm of possibility that neither canidate might not be able to complete a full four term then the choice of VP has some merit. Some choices would be more of a detriment than help to the respective campaigns. But as a famous American once said, "It ain't over until it's over."

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Ahabstar]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Thanks for your honest response. Your saying your mind is made up even if McCain were to pick Lieberman and Obama were to surprise everyone and pick a libertarian?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Since it is within the realm of possibility that neither canidate might not be able to complete a full four term then the choice of VP has some merit.

Why do you say this? I'm assuming your referring to McCain's age..

Why would Obama have difficulty making it 4 years?

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by Scramjet76

---------

No not really. I did mention in my post that if he were to pick someone like Lieberman I would probably have to vote for Barr or something.

I won't vote for Obama if he picks Jesus himself as VP.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
McCain- Paul would most certainly make my stance one of choice rather than happenstance...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'll give you one other too. One that has no chance of happening but would make my vote for McCain sooooo easy.

McCain-Thompson.

Considering Fred Thompson had my vote the day he entered the race, I would love that. Unfortunately he didn't garner the primary votes and wouldn't accept he job anyway.

McCain-Romney is my second choice, and one that has a good chance of happening.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Well, if Obama picked for instance Joe Lieberman, and McCain picked Ron Paul, I'd vote McCain in a hot second!

However, based on the various liklies, I'd say no, it won't really matter.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Thanks for all your responses so far.

I seem to have heard from a few McCain supports but not really a lot from the Obama camp? I've heard McCain called a "liberal democrat" many times. Are there any fence-sitters or conservative democrats who would consider McCain if he chose a moderate as a running mate?

You can use this thread as practice to stay on topic (or close to it) for the Bully otherwise you could lose all your ATS points!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
My mind is already made up: Obama. I was really torn between him and Hillary at first, but the more she spoke the less I liked her. There are things that Obama proposes that I don't like and disagree with, but it is always that way.

McCain was never a question, for me. He was always a big fat ringing "no".

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

Why do you say this? I'm assuming your referring to McCain's age..

Why would Obama have difficulty making it 4 years?

Thanks.

Age and general health and welfare for McCain. It is only natural after all for that concern.

As for Obama, not a pretty picture but let's be honest here, not everyone in America is ready for a black president. I have no problem myself but I have seen quite a bit of this country and I can honestly say that there is a significant number of people out there that are not ready.

Even a decorated veteran like Gen. Powell would not be aceptable to these kinds of people.

In 1992 in Jacksonville, FL I was an opening manager of a barbeque resturaunt and there was a leader of a local white supremists group that would place his hate crap in our bathroom. Stickers on the mirror, cards, pamphlets and stuff. I narrowed down who it was and followed him in and caught him in the act. Not only did I tell him to get the hell out and not come back I threated his...manhood. When he took a step towards me and I pulled a chef's knife. He said some things about how he was gonna get me so I took an aggressive step with full intent to back up what I said.

Two weeks later a black sailor on the USS Saratoga was murdered and the FBI suspected it was an initiation and they were looking for information on that very same guy. I was visited at the resturant the next day and asked a series of questions and given a contact card should he come in again. I said that he wouldn't and told them what I did. Fortunately he was eventually captured so I never had to deal with him again.

So yeah, eventhough that was 16 years ago, things haven't changed that much in this world to say that Obama would be perfectly safe as president. Yes that guy was a two-bit thug that was used to bullying and manipulating younger people. A big fish in a small pond but I know that there are far worse people out there. And I don't think they will all sit on their hands or be bluffed by a guy that was two seconds from wetting himself but was a good actor that stayed in character.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Ahabstar]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

McCain-Thompson.

We don't agree on everything nyk but I'm with you there. I liked Thompson a lot more than Mitt Romney.

I totally disagree with Romney's religious filled hatred of gays. He has said not only does he not support gay marriage, he also doesn't support civil unions.

Thompson on the otherhand wanted to leave it to the individual states I believe.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Scramjet76]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
NBC's Andrea Mitchell reported that Bayh and Kaine have been told that they are NOT the pick. And Clinton has not been vetted...

That leaves Biden or an "unknown".

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Wow so your calling out an assasination. Quite the wild story you gave there.. made the hairs on my neck stand up.

Thanks for your comments.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks for the update BH.

Anyone here really waiting for Obama or McCain to make annoucements or is your mind already made up?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

I do indeed believe it will be tried provided he wins the election. I could say with greater certainty if I was out and about more.

Back to topic:

Joe Biden...not exactly a compliment to Obama, more of a counterpoint. It will be interesting to see if Biden is not as smarmy as a VP candidate as he was during the primary debates.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Ahabstar]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
A good VP Choice in any election could change my vote. I could be swayed to vote for a Republican if a good Vice President was selected IF and only IF McCain was not the nominee. Ron Paul on the other hand I would definitely vote for, unless he was a VP which I would not vote for him as I think whomever choose him as a VP would most likely be using him.

McCain is too old, confused, warmonger and to hear a prospective President talk about Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran just makes my stomach sick.

Bottom line is, Most republicans will vote McCain because they are Republicans and Most Democrats will choose Obama because they are Democrats. It takes a lot for a person to want to switch parties and I believe I have been hurt by the Republicans and CANNOT give them another 4-8 years in the White House.

This is what I think should happen, If Obama wins and takes us into war then Democrats should be going to fight the war and not Republicans as they didn't pick him. If McCain wins and chose to go to war then Republicans should go to war and not Democrats.

nyk537 (among others), I would be the first to grab you by your leg and throw you in a tank straight to Iran.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by walkinghomer]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Joe Biden...not exactly a compliment to Obama, more of a counterpoint.

True but I think that's what Obama needed. Someone with experience and a more moderate image.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join