It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Man on Mars.... Earth Atmosphere?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
So, I am probably too young to have been around when the first men took off in a space ship and left earth's atmosphere for the first time. I am probably not the only one.

Curiosity just hit me. The earth's atmosphere burns up debris that enter it. Were the first astronauts unsure of whether the earth's atmosphere might do the same to them when the first spacecraft was leaving or re-entering?

Come to think of it, they probably tested other objects first to figure out what would be safe to leave and re-enter the atmosphere... Does any other planet have such an atmosphere??

Weird questions, I know.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yes they fired many rockets, then satellites before they sent man up... There was many years of testing, trial and error.

As far as other planets having atmosphere.. yes.. well we at least know of a moon which has an atmosphere. Saturn's moon Titan has some kind of atmosphere. And given that, you can pretty much assume there are exoplanets with atmosphere similar to our own.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
You're right that they did many tests before actually sending a manned spacecraft out of (and then back into) our atmosphere. This included wind tunnel testing and basic aerodynamic analysis (modeling). The first astronauts were probably unsure of a lot of things when they went into space, but they had a lot of confidence in the scientists and engineers that designed their vehicles and planned their missions.

Other planets do have significant atmospheres, particularly the "gas giants" (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune) which are so named because they are made almost entirely of gas. Here's a link that lays it out in table form. Of the rocky planets, Venus has the most dense atmosphere with a pressure at its surface 92 times that of Earth. Mars, on the other hand, has a very thin atmosphere, less than 1% of Earth's.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

i couldn't figure out how to put the video in the thread so u wouldn't have to click the link, but here is a page that shows mars with a bluish sky, and also a time-lapse movie of clouds in the martian atmosphere, along with a photo of the same type of cloud here on Earth nelow the movie for comparison...Enjoy!
www.astrobio.net...

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Enigma Publius]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Thanks so much for all of the answers.

Sometimes someone just stops, and thinks about things. Good to have people around who have done the research I should have.

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join