It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing considers exiting US Air Force tanker rebidding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US aerospace giant Boeing said Friday it may exit the rebidding for a massive contract to build US Air Force aerial refueling tankers unless the Pentagon allows more time to rework its proposal.

what a load of bull

they`re playing for time now since they want to new administration to give them the contract rather than the current one.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
GOOD, Please Boeing pull out and stop wasting the American taxpayers time and money. Norhtrop Grumman already has a prototype built and ready to fly and will create 48,000 American jobs. The United States cannot wait for Boeing to first design and then build a prototype. If something happened in the world today, what would we do? Oh yea, we are still waiting for Boeing to decide what to build. BOEING, Think about America first.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Boeing, like every big company, should think about Boeing first. Problem is they act and lobby like they were thinking of America.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US aerospace giant Boeing said Friday it may exit the rebidding for a massive contract to build US Air Force aerial refueling tankers unless the Pentagon allows more time to rework its proposal.

what a load of bull

they`re playing for time now since they want to new administration to give them the contract rather than the current one.

Thats exactly right.
Boeing really are SOOKS.
They will lose again the 767 is just TOO small

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

As Boeing reportedly considers alternate platforms or withdrawal from the US Air Force's KC-X tanker competition, the Northrop Grumman/EADS North America team may also consider upgrading its tanker offer.

The US Department of Defense plans to release a final request for proposals during the last week of August, in defiance of Boeing's public requests for an extension period

and here we go again - game playing at its best - NG might want to wait for the next government

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
It is just fair to award the contract to Boeing. We don't want any Part-Russian built aircraft flown by the airforce. Go Boeing!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
and here we go again - game playing at its best - NG might want to wait for the next government

Very possibly.

What better way for the new administration to try and be seen to right the foreign policy of old by buying a large number of European jets.

I think that would be more the case if Obama wins.

I'd imagine McCain would go down the Boeing route - but then thats a completely new topic.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Ex-US Arms Buyer Faults Boeing Tanker-Delay Request

linky

A former chief US arms buyer urged the Defense Department on Thursday to reject a Boeing push for more time to bid on supplying aerial-refueling planes valued at up to $35bn.

"I think there's a time urgency to this programme," said Jacques Gansler, undersecretary of defense for acquisition from November 1997 to January 2001. "And Boeing – if they say they're not going to bid unless they get an extra six months – well fine, don't bid."

Saying he did not have "any dog in the fight," Gansler argued the government had already obtained the benefits of competition when it tapped Northrop Grumman Corp over Boeing for the aircraft in February.

"I mean I don't care whether Northrop or Boeing wins" a renewed competition, he added in a telephone interview. "But I do care about good government."

In the redo, Chicago-based Boeing is vying against a transatlantic team of Northrop and Airbus parent EADS for a contract to build 179 tankers used to refuel aircraft in mid-air.

The deal, valued at $35bn, would start phasing out the US Air Force's KC-135s, which average more than 46 years old.

Boeing said last week it may walk away unless the Pentagon agrees to extend by four months the currently projected 60-day deadline for new bids. The Pentagon's goal is to award a contract before the next US administration takes office on 20 January.

found this interesting article.
What would the difference be before or after elections.
We will see i suppose

[edit on 31-8-2008 by Jezza]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
i can see the DoD actually pushing ahead with what IT wants and not be bullied by boeing

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well the DOD has cancelled this project until the next administration is in the White House. Boeing cried loud and got their way. Boeing does'nt even have a prototype to show the Air Force, whereas Northrop Grumman has a plane that is ready to fly. Gee thanks Boeing. Why don't you think about our military? They need this new tanker now, not in 12-24 months.

Northrop Grumman

Boeing

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Some interesting news has arisen today regarding the bids -

1. NG/EADS are to receive a multi-million dollar payout as a result of the canceled contract.

2. NG/EADS committed to delivering the initial contracted aircraft 2 years ahead of schedule (the planes essentially already flying, its not a huge difference to the MRTT being delivered to the RAAF, plus EADS could take an orphaned A330 straight from the production line)

3. The price difference between the Boeing and EADS/NG contract for the development aircraft plus first 68 frames was ~ $3billion - NG/EADS was cheaper.

www.latimes.com...

The plot thickens.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Mobile won`t be getting the A330F production line now - would take a miracle to move it since it was part of the package of the original deal - me thinks a few senators will be trying to scupper boeing`s offering

new topics

top topics

join