It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experimental (home-made) Airplanes Dangerous To Neighborhoods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I have heard of so many of these type of airplanes crashing lately in or around neighborhoods. I believe these type of crashes endanger innocent people that never agreed to have an experimental home made aircraft flying over their head. I am sure if they had the choice they would have opted out of this.

Today's crash:
Aug. 22, 2008 LAS VEGAS
www.startribune.com...:

Bottom line is that retired, aging airplane maker/pilot wannabees have no business putting others lives in danger by flying these rinky dink planes around innocent people and should be out-lawed.

ALL THESE HAPPENED IN 2008....AND THE YEAR IS NOT OVER YET. There may be more but I was so disgusted I stopped searching for more. I think these make a strong point.

www.10news.com... MURRIETA, Calif. -- MAy 31, 2008

www.dailycamera.com... Erie Colorado aug 5th, 2008

www.sun-sentinel.com... West Boynton beach florida aug 10th

www.knbc.com... Aug 12, 2008 Los Angeles CA

www.muskogeephoenix.com... aug 11, 2008 Muskogee OK

www.examiner.com... July 31, 2008 ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla

seattletimes.nwsource.com... RICHLAND, Wash

www.nj.com... February 21, 2008 new jersey

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Fathom]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
'Experimental' aircraft are usually just home built kit aircraft built in someones garage, they're usually no more 'experimental' then your average average light plane; so you may as well ban them too. Either way, you've lost out on the prime hiring method for airlines, & a multi-billion dollar industry... for what? Saving a couple of lives of mostly people who were doing there hobby.

So, you may as well ban fast cars, lasers, model rockets, bikes, skateboards, swimming pools, showers, food, alcohol, & boating....because they're 'endangering innocent people' at far higher rates than aviation EVER would or could. Don't you think the Government should actually govern rather than limit? Because I don't think it's in the Governments prerogative to limit individuals over something as benign as kit - aircraft. Might as well lock people in there houses to so don't 'hurt innocent people.'

Just my opinion of course.

Btw, someone who owns there own aircraft is not a wannabe.

[edit on 23/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I would like them banned from flying over populated areas. I don't give a rats ass if the home-made pilot wannabees crash and burn it is their option but when they crash and burn in someone's living room and kill the homeowner's kid is when we have a problem.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Fathom]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I have been flying since I was big enough to see over the cockpit and I would think that if someone does not use proper judgment and fly over unpopulated areas with their experimental aircraft they should not be flying. It is just wrong to endanger others for you to have some fun. It is just as wrong as racing around in cars or ATVs in populated areas and often ends in injury and death of the riders and innocent bystanders.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

• Someone who owns there own aircraft is not a wannabe.
  • 'Experimental' aircraft are usually no more experimental than any light aircraft.
  • The same logic could also apply to fast cars, lasers, model rockets, bikes, skateboards, swimming pools, showers, food, alcohol, & boating. Ban them too?

Do you have a grudge against aircraft owners?

[edit on 24/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
reply to post by Fathom

• Someone who owns there own aircraft is not a wannabe.
  • 'Experimental' aircraft are usually no more experimental than any light aircraft.
  • The same logic could also apply to fast cars, lasers, model rockets, bikes, skateboards, swimming pools, showers, food, alcohol, & boating. Ban them too?

Do you have a grudge against aircraft owners?

[edit on 24/8/2008 by C0bzz]

wow...we are really not communicating here. ok we'll do it your way,

• Someone who owns there own aircraft is not a wannabe. I disagree
  • 'Experimental' aircraft are usually no more experimental than any light aircraft. I don't care
  • The same logic could also apply to fast cars, lasers, model rockets, bikes, skateboards, swimming pools, showers, food, alcohol, & boating. Ban them too? I don't understand how this has anything to do with the subject, do swimming pools fly over neighborhoods? model rockets shouldn't be flown over populated neighborhoods either

Do you have a grudge against aircraft owners? only when they fly "experimental" aircraft over neighborhoods and crash in someone's living room

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Fathom]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
The whole tone of this thread sounds to me like the people who wanted the Blue Angels banned because they "made too much noise."

I don't know WHY they're flying over areas like this though, regardless...my assumption is they'd test them out in the opening, where maneuvers can be pulled.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
The designation "Experimental" does not mean that just anyone can go out, design, build, and try to fly an aircraft. It does not necessarily mean "home-made". Experimental Aircraft are certified by the FAA in the same way all other aircraft are certified. It is a painstaking process, the primary purpose of which is not to protect the pilot but the public.

FAA Link

I notice that several of the accidents you list involve Ultralights and Light Sport rated aircraft. These are not Experimental aircraft. At least two of the incidents you list are probably attributable to weather conditions. Did you notice the words "under investigation" in the articles you list? In your search, how many accidents involving non-Experimental aircraft did you find yet ignore? You are drawing a gross generalization based on sensationalized reporting and ignorance.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Someone who owns there own aircraft is not a wannabe. I disagree

So, someone who is fully qualified to be where they are, in there OWN aircraft, is a wannabe? Hm. Well, the English language disagrees with you.

1. Pilot - One who operates or is licensed to operate an aircraft in flight.

www.answers.com...

'Experimental' aircraft are usually no more experimental than any light aircraft. I don't care

Well excuse me, then why only ban 'experimental' aircraft then? The ONLY difference, is 51% or more of the aircraft is assembled at home. The SAME safety standards apply. There are true experimental aircraft - but none in the articles you linked. Banning 'experimental' aircraft is akin to banning car restorations... after all, they crash too... right?

I don't understand how this has anything to do with the subject, do swimming pools fly over neighborhoods? model rockets shouldn't be flown over populated neighborhoods either

It has everything to do with the topic. You want to ban aircraft despite other forms of transportation / recreation being a FAR greater threat to 'innocent people.'
Why aircraft?

Swimming pools? I don't care. Innocent children can accidentally wander into them and drown. It can and does happen. Cars also can plow through peoples living rooms, killing people. 17,419 died from drink driving in 2002 in USA alone. Aircraft? Pssssht.

[edit on 25/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
Well excuse me, then why only ban 'experimental' aircraft then?
[edit on 25/8/2008 by C0bzz]

I don't want to ban experimental airplanes.
Let me make this perfectly clear...
I want to ban experimental airplanes FROM FLYING OVER POPULATED NEIGHBORHOODS.

unless the experimental pilot wants to go door to door and get all the homeowners, in a neighborhood he wants to fly over, to sign a "release of liability in case of crash" waiver.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
The whole tone of this thread sounds to me like the people who wanted the Blue Angels banned because they "made too much noise."
the only similarity is that the experimental aircraft make too much noise WHEN THEY CRASH THROUGH YOUR ROOF!

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom
the only similarity is that the experimental aircraft make too much noise WHEN THEY CRASH THROUGH YOUR ROOF!

By contrast Type Certified aircraft never crash in populated areas and when they don't do that they are very quiet.

www.kptv.com...::292

www.cnn.com...

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT UNDERGO RIGOROUS INSPECTIONS BY THE FAA AND CERTAIN ASSEMBLY PROCEDURES MUST BE PERFORMED BY A CERTIFIED A AND P MECHANIC. Your argument is invalid when you try to paint these craft as rickety and ill made. They are inspected and certified through every step in the process. There are far more automobiles which crash each year. The only reason you don't want to ban them is that it would inconvenience you personally.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

So should we ban the thousands of shade tree mechanics working on their hot rod cars with "experimental" after market parts with no liabilities driving on our public freeways?
With no "dept of transportation" regulations.

I see Aviation a much more strict entity with regulations that even "experimental" homebuilts complying.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by 38181]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 38181
reply to post by Fathom

So should we ban the thousands of shade tree mechanics working on their hot rod cars with "experimental" after market parts with no liabilities driving on our public freeways?
With no "dept of transportation" regulations.

I see Aviation a much more strict entity with regulations that even "experimental" homebuilts complying.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by 38181]

so you are saying you are okay with these experimental abominations flying over your home? knowing how often they crash compared to regular airplanes?

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The first crash in the series occurred June 20, when a homebuilt Harmon F-1 Rocket carrying an Atlantic City police officer and his wife went down in the parking lot of the Belleplain Fire Department in Cape May County. Both were killed.

Two days later, two Gloucester County men died when their plane, a former Czech military training jet, crashed shortly after takeoff from the Millville Municipal Airport. On July 5, a homebuilt Van's Aircraft RV-7 plane fell into a Neptune river, killing the pilot.

And Sunday, a 70-year old-pilot and his 67-year-old passenger emerged without serious injury when their homebuilt plane ran out of fuel and crashed on the front lawn of a Winslow Township home.

Each of the four planes was designated experimental by the Federal Aviation Administration. Homebuilt planes make up a majority of the experimental fleet, but the designation also applies to craft used for research, racing or exhibition, as was the case with the former Czech military plane.

www.lasvegasnow.com...

The experimental plane had just taken off and had about 75 gallons of fuel on board. North Las Vegas Fire Chief Al Gillespie says that created the intense fire, "This one would be the equivalent to having a large SUV crash into the house with a large fuel tank at a high rate of speed."

[edit on 25-8-2008 by Fathom]

[edit on 25-8-2008 by Fathom]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

so you are saying you are okay with these experimental abominations flying over your home? knowing how often they crash compared to regular airplanes?

Abominations are right, but none fly over my house. I encounter more wreckless drivers in one day than I do my entire life to wreckless flyers.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

knowing how often they crash compared to regular airplanes?

And how often is that? Here is a link to incidents in the past ten days. Looks to me that Experimentals have fewer incidents than other types, only about 18%.

Instead of inventing statistics based on scattered reports on the 'net or pulling them from someplace the sun don't shine have a look Here. Do some research before making claims. Isn't that what ATS is about?

[edit on 25-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
As others have pointed out, "experimental" is somewhat of a misnomer. When the FAA first created the rules to allow homebuilt aircraft, "experimental" was the most convenient category to put them in. Some are truly experimental, but most are proven designs, built from kits or published plans.

Despite that, when a builder finishes building his aircraft, it must be inspected by the FAA, and then he is asigned a restricted area (i.e. away from populated areas, wherever possible) in which he must fly the airplane during the test period (usually 50 hours of flight time, if I'm not mistaken). Only after the test hours are flown off can he fly anywhere else, and the statistics show that experimentals that have completed the test period are just as safe as factory built airplanes.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
So called Experimental aircraft are no more rickety or risky than any other plane out there. They are required to fly under the same rules as other planes in the sky, and the pilots are required to undergo the same training as other pilots, with the physicals. I agree with the others, I teach a defensive driving class for my company, and in 2006 there were 46,000+ deaths attributed to cars. That's an average of 118 a day every day. Why not ban them from driving through populated areas too. They might lose control and crash into a house.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join