It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting internet to work in windows with a usb cable instead of ethernet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I reinstalled my computer yesterday, as I was sick of windows taking about 15 minutes to start up to a useful state, and it wouldn't let me resize it's partition either, so I reinstalled, which immediately allowed me to resize. Anyway, I need to connect to the Internet, through a router, via a USB cable. Linux has no problem with this, simply install a driver and it works about 2 seconds later. Windows, on the other hand, has the incredibly patronising software from BT (it's a BT router) to install and run the USB connection with. And for some reason that it doesn't actually state, it doesn't work, despite that being the entire point in that piece of software's existence.

So I have no idea what to do, unless there is some handy software to install from somewhere else, but I don't seem to be able to find any.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
What router is it? You should be able to install just the USB driver by itself (which will then make your router appear as just another network device) , bypassing all the crap that BT like to fill your PC with.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
it's a BT Voyager 220V ADSL router.

At least, thats what it says. And I did try the driver off the disc as well, but it still didn't work. I'll try again I don't think I restarted it after that, and I daresay you know how XP needs restarts.

Edit: Working in XP, used ethernet line for other computer to download the driver.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by apex]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Lozzo had it. It's essentially just a usb ethernet adapter. Look for small print anywhere on the router that might clue you in to who actually makes it. Find a driver, connect it and you should be all set.

I'd like to think you could just install the driver yourself without using their software, but I know that may not be the case. I would browse the disc and see what you can find though.

[edit]

I have to ask...Why would you rather use a USB connection instead of using the ethernet port?

[edit on 27-8-2008 by an0maly33]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by an0maly33
I have to ask...Why would you rather use a USB connection instead of using the ethernet port?

[edit on 27-8-2008 by an0maly33]

Because the router was designed with idiocy in mind, and has a USB cable and an Ethernet cable. which would be fine, but for two people and two comps for LAN, it is necessary to get the USB port working.

new topics

top topics

join