It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so much hatred against China?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

The West needs an 'enemy' to focus their efforts of expansion and to measure their levels of progress. Formerly it was the Soviet Union but the US won that battle. China is the next opponent. It is all ideological.

that's the real reason,china threat theory . trying upmost effort to scare people by hysterically demonize a rival country.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
actually in china we have less people spend their lives behind the bars and generally speaking ,china is a much safer country than the united states.and we just follow our long tradition to live our lives.that's why the majority chinese people give this government a very high approval rate according to independent international survey.

The Chinese are the most satisfied people in the world
www.upiasiaonline.com...

[edit on 22-8-2008 by haidian]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Is this not exactly what I have written? If you did bother to spend a bit time reading through my broken English (which is like my 4th or 5th language) then you will know I was born and raised in the West, The Netherlands, Europe, European Union, Continental Europe, or and did I mention it is a so-called free region with so-called democratic monarchs? You are explicitly implying and try to assume that in China nobody is speaking out our minds, or create our own opinions. It seems like you pretend to already believe everything your media and government is telling you that Chinese common people are brainwashed brainless people without our own thoughts and ideas. The fact we are striking, sending petitions to the Central governments, dragging corrupted officials to the courts, even having protests against certain inequalities and our own scandals, these are probably being waived off again as something non-existing by people like you. My thread is exactly directed to people who still believe and/or starting to believe these lies, wake up dude. In China we are certainly not more exposed to "media propaganda" then Westerners or other people in the rest of the world.

Of course many of the criticism are always valid, but that is dependent from which angle you look at it. My problem with "criticism" is not so much about the criticism itself, it is more about criticism without any construction, it is merely destructive in nature. We need constructive criticism and not merely some plain out yell out that this is bad or that is wrong, which are mainly based on your own standards and values. So please do keep on providing constructive criticism after efforts are done on understanding and listening first.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
i respect china's culture history etc. I like the people and i know they like their privacy. I have enjoyed everything to do with china, i like the spritiality however over the recent years i have seen the goverment their destory people's lifes and left them homless, now, i dont know the ins and outs of the chinese goverment i can only know what i see on the tv and the chinese i see ( take a away normally.) the people seem happy who live in the country and they make out china is happy to, so, is our goverment making propganda aganist china? since we do not know of the truth because of china's secercy which they have every right to we do not know the outcome. I don't think we shoud fear china and the west have a habbit to be nosey, just leave them to it.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

It seems like you merely want to discuss about specific topics, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid, because each topic has been discussed over and over again. Seems there is no end to it. But heck why not, I'm in a sleepy mood anyhow and feel adventurous. After all if I do write full out the names Falun Gong on my screen, I can expect any moment some special agents in black from my government breaking in my house and pick me up waiting in line for my organs to be harvested and sold to some dying teenagers, because there is a lack of donated livers.
Uhmmm... anyhow....

Well, I do hope you noted the sarcasm in my previous alinea. And here comes maybe something we will never agree on, and this is not so much because of who is being brainwashed more, it is more about the difference in norms and values. For me to hear complaints about convicted criminals to have their organs harvested is something like "what? why not? Especially if I can save another human being with that organ, in the hope that this saved person is not turning into a mass-murderer?"

The irony in this whole Falun Gong sect is that it was initially being supported and promoted by the Chinese government too, because QiGong (some kind of traditional common Chinese Kungfu) is something good for the physical health and mentality of the people. However, when this sect started to turn into a political movement, derailing from merely practicing QiGong, that is the moment a simple group is turning themselves into extremist terrorists. We can also discuss if it is right or wrong to forbid Falun Gong over here in China. But we would be discussing fundamentally ideals like if you are calling out a group a terrorist evil sect or a peace-making holy organization, or supposed religious freedom. As a Budhist I would not even bother to convince anyhow how free it is to have a religion, as long as you seperate that from the political stuff. Religion and politics should never be mixed. You just need to come to China and see how free it is for the religion part of life. Anyhow, you know. my first encounter with Falun Gong followers was when I was in The Netherlands. Let me tell you for the past several years my feelings for them have diminished more and more because to me they are merely some paid brainwashed extremists lacking any sense for the reality and what is required and needed for the Chinese people.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan

It seems like you merely want to discuss about specific topics, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid, because each topic has been discussed over and over again. Seems there is no end to it.

We have a maxim here, which states "Careful what you ask for...", and I say that to reference the title you chose for this thread: "Why so much hatred against China?" While nobody here goes so far as to express a hatred for China, you have been getting what you ask for...an accounting of why so many folks hold your government in low esteem. Don't feel slighted, though...most of the threads posted on ATS would seem to be critiques of governments by their own citizens, so we're more than entitled to takea poke at somebody else's

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I kinda fully agree with you on this one

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
because it is an american website and most people here are americans and they have been brainwashed for decades.but chinese are also to some point being brainwashed,so you see exactly the opposite opinions on chinese forums.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

22 Nation Poll Shows China Viewed Positively by Most Countries

China’s Economic Growth Considered Positive But Not Its Increasing Military Power Questionnaire A new BBC World Service Poll of 22 countries finds that China is viewed as playing a significantly more positive role in the world than either the US or Russia, a role more on par with Britain.

Asked about possible future trends, most are positive about China significantly increasing its economic power in the world but most are negative about China significantly increasing its military power. The poll of 22,953 people was conducted for the BBC World Service by the international polling firm GlobeScan together with the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) at the University of Maryland.

The 22-nation fieldwork was coordinated by GlobeScan and completed during December 2004 in most countries. The survey shows that China is viewed as having a mainly positive influence in the world by a majority or plurality of citizens in 14 countries. On average across all countries polled (excluding China itself), almost half (48%) see China’s influence as positive and just 30 percent see it as negative, with another 22 percent being noncommittal. In only three countries does a plurality view Chinese influence as negative—Germany (47%), US (46%), and Poland (33%). In no country did a majority of the public have a negative view of China. Boding well for China’s future, young people (18-29) worldwide are much more prone to view China positively (58% on average).

china is more of a positive role in the eyes of the world than america,which consistently being voted as the biggest threat to the world by many international polls.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
I think that the biggest CONCERN many people have is in the area of human rights, and freedom of speech and religion. These are two freedoms that Americans, Europeans, and many others cherish, and China certainly has a long way to go in those two areas. The second area of CONCERN is regarding a lack of stricter Chinese standards regarding manufacturing and exporting of goods to the world. We all know about the huge number of toys that were contaminated with lead paint, tainted toothpaste, tainted wheat gluten, anti-freeze components(diethylene glycol) in glycerin which was intended for drugs in the US, and the list goes on.

I agree with ProfEmeritusm, I don't think there's much hatred toward the people of china, but the chinese are certainly very sensitive about any criticism towards them. They are extremely sensitive people, I guess it's their culture.

And it's true, the chinese's standard on everything (human rights and manufacturing) is simply far under par compares to the international standards and rules, and that is why a lot of people simply don't like it. My take on this especially about chinese goods, hey if you want good quality, you gotta pay more.

I personally find china rather shallow spiritually, perhaps because it has been an atheists nation for a very long time. Maybe in the future the next generation of chinese will be a much better people when there's more freedom of religion and everything.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
the international standard is not set by america,that's why america's score is this low in international polls,we dont send our troops to every corner of the world to fight and to die.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by haidian
the international standard is not set by america,that's why america's score is this low in international polls,we dont send our troops to every corner of the world to fight and to die.

Perhaps the current governemnt in the US is problematic...but I'm betting I can still go anywhere in the States and register my disapproval...even as a foreigner myself, and not 'disappear'. AND...the American citizens can get rid of this government should they choose to.

How 'bout those legal protest areas at the Olympics? How they workin' for you?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by haidian

Sorry to burst your bubble there, but just like Johnny has stated, americans can always change their government and their stance in handling the world.

World views US 'more positively'

Yet the people of China cannot change anything about their government's stance, on Tibet and on Darfur, basically, on everything. They're not the master of their own country, rule by a bunch of people. I don't think I would ever want to live in such country, lucky for me I don't, I have choices.

The US, the UK, and my own country are not perfect, but I still consider them in such high regard compare to other non democratic countries. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
improved but might still trail behind other nations,why the world holds such a low opinion about the states?you guys should really to think about that,because you interfere other people's business too much.i got choice to live in several countries too,but i still chose to live in china,i lived in other countries but i still feel here in china in beijing is the home.and i dont feel anything restricts my freedom here,i actually feel much more safer and at ease here in china.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by haidian

i dont feel anything restricts my freedom here,

Maybe you do, but I know Christians certainly have their religious freedom restricted severely. China even closed down all churches for 90 days around the Olympics.

www.christianpersecution.info...

House churches asked not to meet during Games; new crackdown planned for October

More ominously, China has planned a new crackdown on four “troublesome elements,” including house church leaders, for October, when most Olympic athletes, tourists and journalists will have left the country, CAA reported on Monday (August 18).

In the lead-up to the Games, officials asked a number of house church pastors to sign a document agreeing to forego any activities at “Christian gathering sites” or meeting points while the Games took place, according to CAA.

Under this agreement, house churches were banned from gathering from July 15 to October 15, a total of 17 weeks. Those who broke the agreement would face “disciplinary action.”

The agreement asked that house churches “refrain from organizing and joining illegal gatherings and refrain from receiving donations, sermons and preaching from overseas religious organizations and groups that have a purpose.”

The Union of Catholic Asian News confirmed in a report on August 7 that officials had forbidden bishops and priests in unregistered Catholic churches to administer sacraments or do pastoral work during the Games.

Officials placed several underground bishops under house arrest and forbade them to contact their priests, the report added.

In Wuqiu village of Jinxian county, Hebei, police erected a small “house” in front of the cathedral presided over by underground Bishop Julius Jia Zhiguo in order to provide a facility for 24-hour monitoring of the bishop.

Additionally, Bishop Joseph Wei Jingyi of Qiqihar in northeast China received phone calls from government officials asking if he planned to hold any religious gatherings during the Olympics. Wei said he would stay at home and pray for the success of the Games.

Prior to the Games, police banned several Christians from meeting with visiting U.S. government officials and asked others to leave Beijing for the duration of the event.

Police in July repeatedly asked house church pastor Zhang Mingxuan and his wife Xie Fenlang to leave Beijing. When they refused, police on July 18 entered a guesthouse where they were staying and drove them to Yanjiao in neighboring Hebei province.

When Zhang granted an interview to BBC journalist John Simpson, police detained Zhang and Xie before the interview could take place. (See Compass Direct News, “Chinese House Church Pastor Detained,” August 7.)

On August 10, police seized house church pastor and activist Hua Huiqi when he attempted to participate in a service at the government-approved Juanjie Protestant church in Beijing, where U.S. President George Bush was scheduled to appear.

Hua, still in hiding, wrote a letter to Bush later that day, pleading for prayer for his personal safety and for freedom of belief for all Chinese people. (See Compass Direct News, “Chinese Christians Plead for Relief as Olympics Continue,” August 13.)

October Crackdown

More prayer may be requested in coming months. China’s Communist Party (CPC) will launch a nationwide crackdown on four “unstable social elements” in October, CAA reported on Monday (August 18).

These elements were listed as illegal Christian house church leaders, petitioners, human rights defenders and political dissidents.

Outlined in a secret government directive passed to CAA, the crackdown is designed to coincide with a new campaign for “20 more years of political and social stability” in China.

In a speech on June 16, Zhou Yongkang, head of the Political and Legal Committee of the Central Committee of the CPC, called for “extraordinary measures” to be taken against these elements in order to protect the CPC’s continuous rule and reform programs.

The Beijing Municipal State Security Bureau has also begun a new citizen informant initiative, requiring ordinary citizens to report individuals and organizations posing a threat to national security, including those who “engage in activities that endanger state security by utilizing religions,” according to CAA.

Plese don't insult the members of this board by claiming that there is no religious persecution in your country. A Google search using:
China persecution Christians
returns over one and a quarter MILLION hits.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I have spent way too much time in China and know the country very well to understand what is going on in that country more so than the average joe here in the US.

My take on human rights issues in China is that although their record is abysmal, you have to see it through their eyes. The unfortunate but real issue in China is that it is a country of 1.3 billion people. When you have that many people in a country, life is cheap. With that many people, many aspects of life are very competitive to the point where there is callous disregard for others. For those that live or have been in NY City, the mentality is the same. In areas where it is so condensed, it just becomes survival of the fittest for many people and that resonates throughout the entire country.

China has zero tollerence for insurrection. They know their history where unchecked insurrections has divided and crippled their country. The government there just is not going to let that happen again and they come down hard on people who participate in such acts as an example to others that are thinking about doing the same. If you are a Chinese citizen, you know the consequences of protests so you participate at your own peril. China treats insurrection as seriously as we treat child abuse.

As for Tibet, many people on here need a good history lesson regarding Tibet. History books show that tibet has been a state of China for at least 700 years and if you want to stretch it back even further, there is records showing that Tibet was under the control of China for over 1500 years.

This issue of "free tibet" became an issue when the Chinese threw out the Dali Lamma and his court because of their oppresive rule over tibetians. The Dali Lamma had a slave system where they owned people like they do cars. The British and Americans got involved because it was the perfect cold war issue to undermine communist China. Our CIA and MI-6 agents had been training and funding tibetian rebels since the 60's. The Dali Lamma himself is a CIA asset much like Osama Bin Ladin. This is hard to believe because the Dali is a nice figure, but it's true.

The tibet issue is a cold war issue concocted by British and American intelligence. If you think about this for one second, there is no way China is ever going to "free tibet." Just ask yourself this question if you are an American, does the United States ever plan to "free California" back to Mexico? It's never going to happen and ironically, the China/Tibet link has many more hundreds of years linked together than US/California.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by SeekingAlpha]

[edit on 27-8-2008 by SeekingAlpha]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by haidian

World Opinion on China More Positive than on U.S., But Slipping

My point, you can change the government of china, you don't have any control, they rule over you. If that's your kind of freedom, so be it.

Poll of Western and Asian Publics Finds Criticism of Chinese Policy on Tibet

International Public Opinion Says Government Should Not Limit Internet Access

World Publics Say Governments Should Be More Responsive to the Will of the People

Chinese Become Sharply Negative About U.S., Americans Mildly Negative About China

You see, american people don't hate the chinese, but it's quite the other way around. Why so much negativity about the US?

Between china and the US, the US is the better of the two.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekingAlpha

I agree with you in most of your statements, but here's what you don't understand. China is not a spiritual country, its government is far from perfect, but it demands 'too much' perfection. That is spiritual shallowness.

What I'm saying is, if you don't want insurgency, then do your job well as a government. But they don't, they're worse than the current US government, imagine that, worse than the US government, that's just pathetic. If you don't want people protesting, start doing your job seriously and don't contribute to the instability of your own country.

The way I see it, ever since Qin dynasty and long before any western foreigner came, china's own government has always been and still the major contributor of china's own instability and constant collapse, incompetent dynasty after dynasty. Why?
Because they're shallow, they're mostly focus on facade rather than substance. That is the core of their problem, and they never want to learn, they cannot handle the truth, they're weak.

As for the Dalai Lama, I won't comment on that, it might be true, but china's instability is not caused by tibet, but their own internal problem and they have a lot of them. But china always make tibet as an excuse not to listen to other legitimate criticism, and as a distraction, so they don't have to deal with their own weaknesses.

In my opinion, china and russia constribute too much of the world instability and mass crimes that happen in the modern times, far more than the ones that are caused by the US and the UK ever since the US was born. China and russia has always been empowering and energizing the wrong kind of leaders, the wrong kind of factions, the wrong kind of people, and I don't like that.

Besides, china should seriously thank the US and the UK (and other european countries) for their recent success. It's because of the western ideas and inventions, china can become more prosperous. If those inventions are not shared to the world (rather freely), the world (along with china) will not become a better place.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The major difference is that we are free to voice our feelings.

And we do so. No one and no thing is beyond comment.

Chinese people are very "Uniform" in their strong cultural beliefs. Some of us from western cultures see this as an artifact of centuries of mind control and domination. This is especially true when Chinese people recite the same canned responses, despite the obvious flaws in those responses.

I have been to China, and I do find much to admire in the people. But there is a certain Borg quality which comes through, and is supremacist but apparently blind to that fact that it is supremacist.

If the people of China were free to think for themselves and have their own opinions, we would not feel threatened when dealing with the China Collective.

When as a people China learns to respect differences in one-another perhaps we will feel less conspicuously different, and therefore threatened.
Although I must say that I have always been treated with more respect and dignity than I have received in America as an American.
None-the-less the aquward uneasyness is there.

To put it simply if a western person, were a Chinese person, in form but western in behavior, they would be enjoying their re-education or execution as a result of their persona.

Why would we believe you tolerate in outsiders what you do not among yourselves? China cannot even trust it's own people to view our media unfiltered without need for re-education. Why must you assimilate and destroy the cultures of the people you claim as Chinese? Leaving only the vestages of tribal garb for use in cultural displays.

Let me say that my wife is from Mainland China. I harbor no ill will.
You asked a question and I have attempted to answer honestly.

I truly love China and America. I hope that one day both grow up and learn better courtesy. In things social I think China has the lead on us. But I question the need for the high price you pay for it.

We have a long way to go too. We are blunt and rude, arrogant and many other things, but we have abandon the traditions of our ancestors and must re-invent ourselves. You have an ancient culture, actually many of them, if you would respect that, but you seem hellbent on leaving only one homogenous culture standing.

China had the chance to bypass the mistakes of the western world, pollution, urbanization, the automobile. Instead you rushed in and adopted every one of them. This most of all disappoints me.

Tse Tse!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
whatever you say china is still more favorable in the eyes of the world,america is still regarded as the biggest threat to the world peace,all the global polls precisely showed that,and why the whole world holds such a low opinion about the states and the government,america should really think it over.before trying to convince me ,try to convince the world.

china now is the fastest growing economy in the world,the people give this government the credit for that.how come so many so called democratic countries can not develop this fast?because this system works well at least in china.you call a five thousand year history and culture shallow,uh,ok,whatevery you want,when talking about world civilization,china always has a important place in the whole human history.in my home city beijing alone,there are 6 world heritage listed sites.but it is ok,cause what you said mean nothing in the world's opinion.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by haidian]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join