It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so much hatred against China?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Why so much hatred?

It stuns me every time when I come to ATS seeing supposedly 'denying ignorance'-people posting these biased and closed minded comments, or jumping to conlusions way before they did any of their own research.

Take the topic China for example, it seems like from the smallest thing to the more serious stuff the over-majority of these supposedly intelligent people will keep on picking on stuff which is based on half-truths or even more often full out lies. From having a quickly developing still-under-developed economy to Tibet issue, from a tragic earthquake killing tens of thousands innocent to a global 4-year returning sport event. It seems like the hatred against China would not stop.

Is this hatred because of jealousy for the growing Economic and Political power of China, or feel being threathened by something you do not understand and know enouh, I'm referring to the Chinese culture, modern Chinese society, our Chinese way of living and thinking.

It seems like with anything related with China these people will keep on insisting that there is bad will, or conspiracies involved. Only by spending a huge load of efforts and energy it seems like there is only a small amount of people on this board willing to listen and/or even understand the viewpoints from a Chinese like me. However, it seems like the anti-China propaganda is much fiercer and more active globally and at every corner.

I have the feeling certain evil powers really have won over these people's minds and have created a brainwashed army and even a platform for the start of something even bigger and worse to come. To those who probably have stopped reading for some time and will continue their crusade against China, my kudos for being part of a puppet of these evil powers. To those still willing to listen, I would only advise you to listen to the average people of China and put down some of your colored biased glasses when hearing the word China falls down in a topic.

To wrap this up, I just want to say that you can take my words or the other billion of Chinese people that we merely want to live and be able to enjoy the mere basics like being able to watch a color-TV at home instead of standing on th street watching a black/white TV. Do not be threathened by people who are merely wanting to live in peace and raise up a family....

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I believe there may still be some residual bad feelings for backing North Korea. Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I think China is really hard done by on ATS, its bordering on the ridiculous side

I have no idea why, apart from the obvious human rights issues in Tibet, which is obviously a problem. But it seems as though China cant do anything here without coming under some sort of scrutiny.

Some people need to take a good hard look at themselves before they judge a country which they know very little about

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Personally, I have absolutely nothing against the people of China, but I do have problems with how your countrys' government conducts itself in a few areas. Human rights, pollution control, exported goods quality control, etc. The chinese that I have met have always been a warm and appreciated experience for me.

I think a lot of people have a hard time (mainly because of media portrayals) separating the people from the government and thats where the angst come from mostly.

Welcome to ATS BTW.

EDIT: I thought I saw a '2008' on your registration date, whoops! Bah, welcome anyway....

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Lost_Mind]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I do not think that there is hatred for China. It is more - caution. People (including me) know very little about it and since China is growing in importance and weight - this caution also grows. Unknown is a little frightening.
Also personally i consider (maybe unjustified - but this is what i see and hear and read) Chinese social approach as a one i would not like to experience on myself. Nothing to do with hatred though. To hate any nation of people (not to mention more then 1000000000 one with many different groups) is wrong. But i think that it is OK for ATS poster from China to criticize my country as long as he/she is being objective ,or vice versa.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I like China, Chinese History, Chinese People, Chinese attempts to Modernize.

The antagonism on ATS is not necessarily against China or Chinese people but against what the Communist-Hive-Mind has done to cripple its people.

Communism has thrown Chinese standards of intellect and standards of living back by hundreds of years, squelching all sense of creativity, individuality and progress, turning a once great nation into a sprawl of unquestioning idiot-worker-ants.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Chinese people tick me off because of how far they have let their nation slip. You can buy a rain cloud in china for $1000 ( who the hell gave them that right)

China is dirty and do not deserve the title of first world, their gov. is immoral and unjust. Sentence to Re-education? Go F yourself.

Chinese people come to my country and stay loyal to china, they raise our cost of living which to me is an act of war.

They are not brave and daring, they are perfect drones for the global elite, and are making it harder here even to break the mold of power and control.

I wish they would start a fight so we can finish this nonsense once and for all.

P.S My wife and child are Chinese, no raceism here, only national pride.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I too like China, it's culture, it's rich history.. It invented nearly all the ancient discoveries and I love their food, it is my favorite. And I recently started watching 'The Water Margin' again. Tales from medieval china.

Peace

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

Is called misguided patriotism in America citizens has been geared to hate and disaprove anything that doesn’t follow the path of what our nations see and deem the term Democracy, the American meaning of( human rights) and the view of what American see as the right religion.

So any country that is not an ally in the American government eyes is an enemy of American citizens.

That goes for countries that do not practice Christianity, Democracy, or our views of human rights by government interpretations.

China’s prosperity is making a lot of American private sector very rich, but is killing America’s economy so to keep the private sector from the anger of the public, that anger and disappointment is geared to hatred for the new found prosperity of the Chinese nation.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Wow!

"Why the hatin'?"

Here is why. Tiananmin Square. Tibet. The Great Leap Forward. Support for North Korea. Support for Iran. Downing American Spy aircraft in international waters...

China has openly declared their distaste for freedom.

Who cares that you have your TV so you are happy?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The West needs an 'enemy' to focus their efforts of expansion and to measure their levels of progress. Formerly it was the Soviet Union but the US won that battle. China is the next opponent. It is all ideological.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

In answer to your question, I'd have to say that I have nothing whatsoever against the Chinese people. I believe in a world where diversity is celebrated. However, I have some serious issues with your government. First and foremost is the issue that followers of Falun Gong are persecuted...and have been imprisoned, killed, and their organs harvested because their religion threatens the primacy of the Central Committee. This is horrendous.

Secondly, there is no apparent premium attached to honesty in dealing with the West. Look at these Olympics, where the IOC was promised that limited protest would be permitted for the Chinese people as a condition of approving the Bejing Olympics...and that just ain't happening.

How about economics? And for that we have to fault our global merchants who export our jobs by forcing our workforce to compete with third-world labour costs. Say what you want about capitalism, but Henry Ford had a system that paid his workers enough money to buy his product...and we all did pretty good. It doesn't make me feel any good to see a product formerly made by my neighbour now being made in China. And my neighbour is out of work as a result. Not to mention the lack of quality control and safety issues that reduce production costs further. China is not adequately pressing those standards. We pay more for domestic stuff because it supports us. But we need to hold our Governments to account as well, for eliminating tariffs so their pals get rich...cuz somebody in the middle is making a pile of dough and trying real hard to pay avoid the taxes.

I could go on. Sorry..."Made In China" becomes an unattractive cachet.

No offence meant by all this, but I hope it helps.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Well first of all I have absolutely no problem with Chinese people.

But I do have problems with your government. You live in China yourself so please be aware your government is feeding you ridiculous propaganda, cencoring your news and deporting your fellow countrymen to "education" camps.

Labor camps reinforce China's totalitarian rule

Report: China human rights have not improved

China's Internet Censorship

These kind of things make me sick, so please don't come here and claim all this is based on fiction. You brush these things off as fiction and half truth but let's be honest, how do you know what's fiction and what's not as you are being mostly fed ridiculous propaganda? Your country blocks BBC news for crying out loud.

Wake up.

Edit: It's not my intention to offend you with my post. But your government is out of control and the Chinese people are the ones suffering because of that, and that makes me sad.

[edit on 22/8/08 by Fastwalker81]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Before I address some issues I do want to emphasize that there is almost no Chinese on Earth and even more especially those within the border lines of PRC thinking that China is a paradise or a perfect place to live, we have our own flaws and issues in our society, politically and economically. Same like any other country in the world. And if you do spend a bit more time doing some lesser biased research, then you will even be surprised to find out how much the ordinary people know about all these issues and problems we are facing on a daily base.

Second point is that in my holy opinion it is the people not knowing China well enough who should wake up because of propaganda etc. Come on, stop pretending as if over 1.3 billion people within are all brainwashed puppets who at the press of one button from a leader in Beijing would march brainlessly to attack USA or Europe or whatsoever. We are pretty normal and some even intelligent (:@@
people who are just like you living in the 21st century, and thinking very individually but also know very well when it is the time to stop.

Taking my first and second points into consideration then you will be very surprised and I know many of you will not even willing to listen or believe me on that, is that we know even more about these so-called "hot topics" like Tiananmen, Falungong, Tibet, Taiwan and so on than most of the foreigners who only occasionally pick up another extremely biased report pointing fingers at China. Information flow is now faster than ever, but even tens of yars ago without the internet the older generation talk, people talk and share information. However, you either call it ignorant or what, but for most of these issues for the majority of the people we could care less, because the story is always much more complicated than only saying one two three.

Yes, one two three... I was born and raised in Europe, I know very well how many are raised up in the way of supposedly thinking individually and "logically". However, it is too often too black and white, and even more way too easily affected by the flourishing media and people around you. This last criticism count for many Chinese people too by the way. Nonetheless over the past 30 years I do come to the conclusions that nothing as you see is merely black and white. My problem over here is that people pretend to be denying ignorance but if it comes down to certain topics they FEEL special about for whatever reason then these guys and gals can stay here for days and weeks or even months argueing about it, and it goes even so far that debated points and brough up "evidence" will be merely waived off as "disinformation" or propaganda. This is a criticism in general for all topics in ATS, not only about China.

Lahsa riot happened with more reasons behind it that we can argue about it for weeks or months long. Seen it, be there and eventually I think so far only one or two guys on ATS did actually changed their perspectives about this Tibet issue and see more behind it than some "peaceful living monks" trying to get independent. It is much more than that a Holy Dalai Lama being able to go back and rule some peaceful Tibetans with many childrenS (Did you even know it minority nationalities like Tibetans are exempted from the one-child-policy?)

Another example is about those supposed quality and safety issues with products made in China. There is always two sides on a coin, and if you are lucky enough when a coin falls it could even stand on the edge. Quality is as good as what the final consumer wants, and even more dcided by the importer rather than the manufacturer. APPLE is an American company giving quality a very important role. So for example the IPod Touch which is manufactured IN CHINA is one of the best quality for any electronic product you can imagine on Earth. Simply because Apple is willing to pay for it and spend the efforts, time, energy and resources to assure the quality. WALL MART is another American company, they are only asking for the best price and best leadtime. The results you see is that millions of Americans are buying crappy BUT CHEAP made in China products in their Superstores. Of course, there are also cheating fctories who are giving lesser quality than paid and asked for, but in OUR normal WORLD economic system, these are the factories who will not be able to cheat on the second, third or fourth time and probably get bankrupted because of lack of orders.

One last point I would want to address is that too often people will just mention, "ah it is about your government not about the people". So far if we talk about certain cricism about China, then too often it is said with double-standards. However, any opinion is getting important to the modern China, so come with CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. How do you want China to be ruled and regulated? What system is suitable for this immense (especially population wise) country with such a long and rich history? What is exactly what the billion plus Chinese really wants and need? My take on it is that most of these critics are blind for these kinds of questions, they only see their own ideology and believe that whatever they believe in should be universal and best for China, my apologies, best for the Chinese people. So what exactly is what the Chinese people wants and need? Unless someone comes with some real tangible and realistic proposal, so far most of the Chinese people are to some extend very satisfied with the direction we are moving to. A direction Deng had set the path on and the new leaders are continuing and especially fine-tuning in an ever faster pace. Fine-tuning is keyword, and it should be done gradually. After all if from what I understand, most of you and even the critics filled with hatred are nice people who just want the best for the people, innit?

My apologies if I did offend many of you guys, but eventually we the Chinese people were coming from the edge of total destruction and bankruptcy, even now with this supposed better fastly growing economy we are still an under-developed nation with hundreds of millions living in poverty. If you do not care about this, which nobody is obliged to and insist of keeping "jobs" at home, you can always refuse to buy "made in China" products. Because for a big reason that China is being hated on, it still seems like that it is all about the money. I hope for these kinds of people the tide my turn when China starts to import from USA or EU in a big volume. Hey, but did I even mention that most of the raw material and Machinery are coming from USA and EU?
Ah what a dilemma to pick on someone in nowadays global economic system....

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
If you do not care about this, which nobody is obliged to and insist of keeping "jobs" at home, you can always refuse to buy "made in China" products. Because for a big reason that China is being hated on, it still seems like that it is all about the money. I hope for these kinds of people the tide my turn when China starts to import from USA or EU in a big volume. Hey, but did I even mention that most of the raw material and Machinery are coming from USA and EU?
Ah what a dilemma to pick on someone in nowadays global economic system....

Two things...one, if I'm not mistaken, we are not allowed to import goods to China to the same extent as China exports to us...automobiles, for instance. Secondly, I put the blame on our governments for allowing this trade inequalityto occur.

However, I really appreciate you presenting your perspective and if we need to be educated on certain issues, well this certainly is the forum. Thank you for your singular input.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Two things...one, if I'm not mistaken, we are not allowed to import goods to China to the same extent as China exports to us...automobiles, for instance. Secondly, I put the blame on our governments for allowing this trade inequalityto occur.

Regarding imports, for example the automobiles, so far I know it is not a matter if it is restricted, it is more like that most of the people here can not afford or want an imported SUV from GM, so they rather buy the locally manufactured cheaper versions Toyotas or Volkswagens
Or if for those who can afford to and want to import, they rather import a Lexus or BMW
Just look at the Carrefour and Jusco, imported stuff is just too expensive right now. In a country with mostly poor people you have to understand that consumers are even more price-sensitive than consumers of Wallmart (USA) or ALDI (Germany).
I would be all for lifting all import tariffs and taxes etc though, and hate those VAT(value added tax, similar like in Europe) on ALL consumed products in China. But heck, that's the flaws we are talking about which need to be fine-tuned.

However, I really appreciate you presenting your perspective and if we need to be educated on certain issues, well this certainly is the forum. Thank you for your singular input.

My point about this forum is that it gets tiresome to discuss certain topics when some people are totally closed minded and obviously not willing to listen and stay being ignorant. I'm not even talking about those exhausting finger-pointing and accusations about spreading propaganda and disnformation...

If we are talking about propaganda, I have even more a feeling that a huge anti-China propaganda program is ongoing for many years. Like someone stated, it seems like after the Soviet Union break-down, and getting tired to invade countries to look for some hiding cavemen, it is time to have a new more exotic enemy. And the more we go by, the more it seems like this program is winning more people over. *Sigh*. The worst part is that it is also being noted in China by even the ordinary people who normally (like any other ordinary people of the rest of world) would care less what is going on outside their own province, town. Guess what an ordinary guy like me and my friends would feel when we are cheering for the Eights Gold medal of Phelp, but some filled-with-hatred dudes on the other side of the ocean keeps on fingerpointering how "unfair" this Olympics is blablabla, simply because he was being fed by the media some miss-informed information.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
When you're moving towards becoming a top world superpower and merging with the global community you have to expect a certain amount of criticism - especially since you are both feared & respected.

I guess since you're from China you're not used to the effects of Freedom of the Press and the criticism that comes along with it. It potentially gives allot of power to anyone who wishes to write.

It's not just China - you're just noticing it for the first time. It's part of life where people can speak their minds.

People have both loved and hated the United States since I was a kid, of course I never knew that until I began to travel around the world as a teen. Now many hate us even more because of Iraq.

Just goes with the territory when you're the biggest guy in the schoolyard you're bound to get unwanted attention from bully's & critics.Don't forget though, some of that criticism might be valid because the worlds morals may not be the same as the ones people are used to in China.

I'd love to visit China someday and I'm sure they're great people - just like the rest of the world, but I don't particularly like their government - then again I don't like most governments.

I'd be more worried if nobody was talking about China - their will always be critics for any subject here or anywhere else - gotta have some yin with the yang.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Well, us white folks better start having 12 children per family, if we are going to keep up !!!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'm not sure that there IS "so much hatred" for China. I think that the biggest CONCERN many people have is in the area of human rights, and freedom of speech and religion. These are two freedoms that Americans, Europeans, and many others cherish, and China certainly has a long way to go in those two areas. The second area of CONCERN is regarding a lack of stricter Chinese standards regarding manufacturing and exporting of goods to the world. We all know about the huge number of toys that were contaminated with lead paint, tainted toothpaste, tainted wheat gluten, anti-freeze components(diethylene glycol) in glycerin which was intended for drugs in the US, and the list goes on.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan My point about this forum is that it gets tiresome to discuss certain topics when some people are totally closed minded and obviously not willing to listen and stay being ignorant. I'm not even talking about those exhausting finger-pointing and accusations about spreading propaganda and disnformation...

Still, I'm not seeing any response to the issue of the Falun Gong and the harvesting of organs from live prisoners. This discussion can be seen at the following wiki entry:
en.wikipedia.org...
This ghoulish practice doesn't do much to promote China's reputation as enjoying a civilized manner of governance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join