It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we know what real Freedom is? Or is being told we are Free enough?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
What is Freedom? Do we Americans really know what this word means? There are many discussions on this board about us Americans and all of us in the Western world including Europe and Australia that we are losing our rights, personal freedoms and liberties. Many counter this argument by comparing us to another country like Iran or North Korea, but is this how we measure or should we measure our freedoms in this way?

Have we always been a free country or is it just propaganda? We are all raised in a public school system that teaches that we are “the land of the free and the home of the brave” but is this accurate?

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" is not in the Constitution, it’s in the Declaration of Independence.

It’s also said that we are free because we have the right to choose, or we have choices. Well people in these other countries like Iran and North Korea and all countries also have this right, they can chose to obey the laws of the land or not, it’s not something special or something given, it’s a individual choice.

During the American Civil War Habeas Corpus was suspended and many journalists where imprisoned for writing negative things about the government. The Posse Comitatus Act and the Insurrection Act limited the powers of the federal government to use the military for law enforcement against the citizens of the USA after the Civil War. Today it seems that both of these are a thing of the past, if they are not completely gone yet, they soon will be.

During WWII thousands of Americans were rounded up and put into prison camps based on their race, is this what a free country does?

Are we really a free people, or have we been duped into believing that we are?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Most people wouldn't recognise freedom if it jumped up and bit them in the head. They would just be frightened. Our capitalist society makes us believe that freedom = freedom to consume. Choice between pepsi and coke is freedom for most.
Nevertheless, for a life of "freedom" we are forced into labor to be able to consume. Freedom, as our society would have us believe it is, is a joke.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
No way are we all free! We who choose to strive for freedom are kind of free. Any system big enough to supply all you need can take it all away. They are watching us and I know it is for a bigger purpose than they say. I saw this online film the other day APatriotAct.com and am stunned to how my thinking has changed. It sounds so typical but this is a big election. Yes the big distractions keep people's attention but we must stop and look with our own eyes and make sure they know we are watching them too!
If anytime is ours it is now. Share your insights. There are tools are around to make a difference. It is up to each of us engage them. Let's get fired up

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think it depends, freedom can be very subjective. It comes down to your definition of freedom.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

good question...

we are not free at the moment....most people think they are free,but they are not..

example..

we are not free to cruise around the streets naked & smoking pot

we are not free...we have to work for paper(money) so we can eat...we have draconian laws...we are slaves..sorry to tell ya

this short video will explain it for you..
www.youtube.com...

i'm sorry if you do not believe this,but it is true..

also..do you want some frredom?

check out NESARA
www.nesara.us...

www.white-knights911.net...

have a wonderful day

Love/Light

(^_*)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well, I dont think you all want to live in a society where everybody is free to do exactly what they want. Thats called anarchy.

Because there is a limited amount of resources, humans are forced to compete for those resources. Its the same with animals hunting for food.

What makes us different is that we could set the rules of nature aside and create societies where nobody has to go hungry or sick, because the rest of the population would make sure everybody has enough to get by. But we rarely do and instead ignore the hungry, specially if they live on another continent.

Freedom to me is being able to do what I want with my life without breaking the law. Freedom to get a higher eduction is one example. Freedom to pick a career.

You are not free if you are born into poverty and never has a chance to get out of poverty. I view the American system where people have to pay for a higher education as being not free, and encouraging crime for the people who dont have the money. Its not about the individual skill, its about his parents having money or not. Thats bad in my book.

But there are of course other countries much worse than America. Im just taking it as an example since they are so great at some things and also have the power to care for its population if it wanted to. But they dont. Partly because Americans dont want socialized systems of help it seems. Its viewed as being bad. People want to get by on their own and think everybody should. Which is kind of strange, considering you always see the Hollywood heroes say "nobody gets left behind" when it comes to fighting.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I happen to be an anarchist.
People have strange ideas of what anarchy really is.
It became a "scare" word during the end of the 19 th century, when anarchists were a danger to the powers in place.
Nothing wrong with anarchy... !

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
What exactly are you not “free” to do?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jake the Dog Man

What aren't Americans free to do. Well, in some states I think homosexuals aren't free to get married.

I think certain sex acts are illegal in some states.

I know my family wasn't free to belong to a certain political party back in the first half of the twentieth century.

It's illegal for people to smoke marijuana for recreation.

It's illegal to take a walk in New York's central park after 3am.

I'm sure there are a few other things Americans aren't free to do.

[edit on 26/8/08 by Fuggle]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jake the Dog Man
What exactly are you not “free” to do?

I'm not free to express my opinion publicly unless I have the proper permit or am standing in the proper zone.

I'm not free to start my own business unless I have the proper licensing and permits.

I'm not free because I do not have ownership over my own body. I can't sell my body or parts of it, the governments limits what I can or can't put into it, and if I chose to end this life It's against the law.

We don't have real freedom, it's just a illusion. We have the ability to purchase privilege. Meaning if we pay x amount of dollars the government will allow us to do something.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skipper1975

good question...

we are not free at the moment....most people think they are free,but they are not..

example..

we are not free to cruise around the streets naked & smoking pot

we are not free...we have to work for paper(money) so we can eat...we have draconian laws...we are slaves..sorry to tell ya

this short video will explain it for you..
www.youtube.com...

i'm sorry if you do not believe this,but it is true..

also..do you want some frredom?

check out NESARA
www.nesara.us...

www.white-knights911.net...

have a wonderful day

Love/Light

(^_*)
i went through an read the whole sight that is by N.E.S.A.R.A and was blow away this is the greatest thing since slice bread i think we all should get behind this. man you want to talk about taking this country be storm could you amagine all the stress that would be gone in seconds it would be like one big exhale. this the way life was intented to be. just by reading the criterias of the plan, the more i read the more life i felt come back into me. it was like a breath of fresh air. a man/woman could really determine there self worth, and all people would have a true chance of living the AMERICAN DREAM. I incourage everyone to go to www.nesara.us
read this information from the start to finish this is a well thought out plan.
thank again for the info,
crawgator406

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Freedom is abcent when more than 50% of a populations wishes or oppinions go unheard. But hey... leaders know better then us what's good for us... no?
Everytime we elect a leader, a piece of currency magically travels from our wallet to theirs. Currency is nothing more than time made a concrete object, a measurement. Now ask yourself: Why is their time worth more than mine? Am I not the cogs that keep this engine running? Leaders are replaceable... nations are not.

You choose the amount of freedom you want. Unfortunately, you often choose it based on economy.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jake the Dog Man

I think we are duped in to believing we are "free". We are not free to picket or go against what mainstream wants us to believe. Have you not noticed all the recent arrests of demonstrators at political rallies? There was a time when you could voice your opinion, even if it did not go along with what others may agree to, and you did not have to worry about repercussions.

Now, it seems if you speak out against your leaders, you are in danger of being investigated. I thought this country was built on freedom of speech, religion, etc...
I do not think this is the case anymore. Or perhaps it never was the case, but the farse was easier to believe when we were less informed. I think we have more access to information (today) than people did in the past. So, I think the "lie" of freedom is easier to expose now than before.

top topics

join