It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival and medication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Hello all, first post from me

I apologise if this has been raised before but I did a couple of searches and found nothing.

I have often thought about how I would cope with pure self reliance such as finding my own food and whatnot but only in a generic way. I have never considered it as someone approaching a doomsday because I simply thought it was not worth it, with my asthma I highly doubt I could cope.

I have been in hospital with it many times but with age it seems to be getting better. Do any other survivalists here have illnesses they take into account?
I cannot go into the doctors and ask for extra inhalers (to stockpile) as I am already given my maximum. Aside from bringing up my overall physical health, doing yoga, breathing exercises what would people suggest?
I am aware of medicinal plants for the condition but frankly they don't cut it in the full throes of an attack.

It is very disheartening to think that no matter how prepared or practiced I became I could not cover that angle so I am really interested in what people have to say on this, both with asthma and other medical issues.

Pleasure to meet you all,

Tiggerwot X

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiggerwot

Hi Tiggerwot.

I think that herbal remedies are an answer. The site listed below may be helpful.

Herbal remedy information

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I have heard that drinking Coke or anything with caffeine can help slow down an asthma attack. I think I'd keep a 12 pk of soda on hand just in case.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiggerwot

Tigger,

Look up your local naturopathic doctor. IMHO they are a great alternative to western medicine BS, which mostly cover symtoms.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

I have a serious lung disease as well as asthma; I would not survive long without my medicines. Consulting a naturopathic doctor is an excellent idea.

Although I have never personally tried Indian-tobacco Lobelia inflata to treat my asthma I have heard it is a good herbal remedy for treating asthma and other lung ailments. Lobelia inflata is easy to grow from seed and enjoys sandy/loamy soil on the slightly clay side.

Some medications for treating asthma, for example, albuterol can be inhaled or swallowed as a liquid. I am going to ask my doctor to prescribe some liquid albuteral to have on hand in my emergency first aid kit. Prednisone is a must to have on hand for any serious asthma suffer in the event of a life threatening asthma attack as I know from experience after suffering a couple serious asthma attacks and barely surviving the ambulance ride to the hospital. Prednisone is cheap and can be stored for a long time in a cool, dry and dark location. I cannot think of one good reason why any doctor would refuse to prescribe a ample stock of prednisone as an emergency back-up. The 80 and 100 mg Prednisone tabs can be broken with a pill cutter so that a smaller dosage of 5, 10, 15 or 20 mg dosages can be taken as needed to treat and get your asthma under control. I doubt most insurance companies would allow/pay for 200 to 500 tabs of 80 mg Prednisone however, I am reasonably sure it would cost less then $50.00 to $100.00 at most out of pocket.

During the next few months I hope to have my survival medicine stocked-up and have enough to last 1 to 2 years. If your doctor is not willing to help you with this I suggest consulting with a different doctor with it in mind your life depends upon this.

top topics

join