It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanair MD-82 Crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Pilots on the plane that crashed in Madrid yesterday, killing 153 people, had reported a faulty valve on its first attempt to leave Madrid airport, the flight's operator, Spanair, said today.

The jet was cleared for a second takeoff by technicians who had turned off the air intake gauge in accordance with standard procedure, a spokesman for the airline said.

Source

Aw, nuts. I hope the families get a good explanation for this.

Unfortunately...

Spanair said that fault had been successfully fixed by turning off the valve. The company said it could not be the cause of the fire in the plane's left engine which led to it crashing on the second attempted take-off.

Source
What do you guys think about the older MD-82 variants? Are they getting a little bit long in the tooth, or do you think they'll be around for a while?

Personally, I'm surprised to see so many MD-80s still around at the local airports. I would have thought that jets such as Embraers or Bombardiers would have been commissioned to replace them. But those are just my thoughts.

Again, I do hope the families find out exactly what happened.

[edit on 8/21/2008 by Darkpr0]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
Personally, I'm surprised to see so many MD-80s still around at the local airports. I would have thought that jets such as Embraers or Bombardiers would have been commissioned to replace them. But those are just my thoughts.

I would have thought the Dash-8s would have been selling like hot-cakes to replace them...

Much much less fuel use.

new topics

join