It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Military book blacklist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I have been trying to find the list of books on the military blacklist, as I have heard that books like The conquest continues by Noam Chomsky are forbidden to be read by active duty officers.
I ask because I want to join the army and I want to be sure I can read the Bhagavad Gita when/if deployed. If anyone has info in this, please let me know. Also, any info on military life / experience is very welcomed.
If this thread is out of line, please forgive me and delete it, thanks.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
No offence meant to you at all but why would you want to join the military if your a krishna?
Isn't it against its teachings to pursue violence?
I'm pretty sure they don't accept pacifists!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Where did you hear of a blacklist? I was in the military until not too long ago, and I don't ever recall being told I could not read certain books or literature. I know you couldn't partake in certain anti-government events or production of propaganda, but nothing about restricting study of anything.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I've never heard of a blacklist of books. In fact, it would probably be the opposite.

You know, "Know your enemy".

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Ive heard it a few different places, here is one link.

english.hani.co.kr...

And I want to join because of my beliefs, I am not pursuing violence, I am pursuing to serve my homeland, my country, whatever that entails. To defend the innocent is not against hindu belief, its basically what the bhagavad gita is all about, hence, 'Bhagavad-gita, krishnas counsel in time of war'

not a pacifist either, I am willing to do what and where the universe takes me, and upon contemplation, I feel it is selfish of me not to join. To reap the benefits of the vanity here, and not put in my time regardless of what people say the intentions are. This way I will feel I have a voice when it comes to speaking of things government/military related, and I will not feel guilty sitting on my perch while people die for me to do so, I will have put in my time to reap such benefits as vanity.

Also, I want to try and prove to myself that the government is not evil, and if they are, and Im correct, then I at least have some say having served.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by the way
No offence meant to you at all but why would you want to join the military if your a krishna?
Isn't it against its teachings to pursue violence?
I'm pretty sure they don't accept pacifists!

Im not exactly sure, but I am pretty sure, that is buddhism, not hinduism. YEs hinduism expresses peace etc, but it also justifies defending the innocent.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
There isn't any blacklist, you can read what ever you want: the Koran, Mein Kampf, The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, The Communist Manifesto, and plenty of other controversial material.

Some stuff might set off red flags with the DHS though. The DOD on the other hand doesnt really care. They would like people to read Starship Troopers and Sun Tzu though.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by psychedeliack

Ummm, the link you provided was NOT to a blacklist of the U.S. military.

The United States has no Ministry of Defense and certainly no Defense Minister "Lee Sang-hee".

Military expands book blacklist
It was discovered that the Ministry of National Defense has labeled books about culture and best-sellers as “seditious publications” and taken them off the shelves...
Action was taken following an order given by Defense Minister Lee Sang-hee on July 19, the document said.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by psychedeliack

The link you provided is not about the US military. I am not sure, but I believe it is about South Korea. The US doesn't have a Ministry of Defense, but a Defense Department.

Also, I want to try and prove to myself that the government is not evil, and if they are, and Im correct, then I at least have some say having served.

That is wonderful! There need to be more people like you. Typically, people who bash the system, have never worked in the system. Experience it for yourself. What I learned in my experience, military men and women aren't evil. In fact, you have a smaller ratio of 'evil' to good types there than in civilian life. Typically, the greater 'evils' that occur in the military are made by top ranking people. That's where you come in. If you stay smart, and willing to follow the rules before just following orders, you can help prevent such things.

I had the same logic you mentioned. If it is bad, and you being good can be in it, thus making it less bad, the more good people who get involved the better it would be.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Thats good to hear, I wonder what that article is founded on? I thought it was a little weird that I couldnt find anything else on it. thanks ATS fam.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Youre right, and have a good point, im just sick of having to hold my tongue about issues, so Im going to do it. I do plan on being a very loyal soldier, and I dont think most people in the military are evil at all, just folks like you and I. So yes, every bit of good that joins makes it all the better. Thanks for your support!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by eaglewingz

haha, my bad. I thought it was a little off. Thats weird they ban books tho. Thanks guys for helping me realize the dumb*** I can be!

sorry to waste anyones time. and thank you for responding.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
When I was in the military I never heard anything about such a reading list. Lots of things have changed since then, but I've never heard anything about it.

As for military advice. My best advice is to get the shortest contract you can possibly get. Probably a 2 year contract, which will no doubt be extended to 3yrs by default(happened to my little brother).

You are either gonna love it or hate it. And if you love it, they will be all too happy to give you another contract, and when you re-enlisted you will be given a fast track on promotions because they feel you will stick around. And if you hate it, then you get out quick.

When people sign up for 3 years, they are usually around the rank of E-4 at the end of it. I never seen anyone go to NCO school before re-enlisting. But I did see people who re-enlisted early and got to go to NCO school while others weren't even mentioned.

You said officers, but I'd be willing to bet it's a similar situation. They don't want to waste money sending someone to NCO school or other forms of training if they are going to leave 6 months later.

Another thing is you can usually make a change in your MOS on re-enlistment if you want. My brother went from a NBC guy to a medic in his first re-enlistment.

new topics

top topics

join