It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I smell a new debunking coming.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Just when I thought natural phenomena was off the cards for UFO's I found this new video on New scientist.

I'm sure these effects exist but I can just imagine all the cries of haloes being responsible for lights in the sky. I also find it both amusing and sad at the same time that these have to be named after mythical creatures (you can argue about that in the mythical beasts forum) thus reinforcing the fantastical nature of lights in the sky.

I sure hope this doesn't become a new rallying point for skeptics and debunkers.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

Very pretty Shere Khaan - however this should be posted elsewhere on the board as they're a well documented natural phenomena that have absolutely nothing to do with UFO's or Aliens.

IRM

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   

These are Sprites. As they call them. They are wholly natural. They are usually only found in extremely powerful lightning storms, and are a sort of rare event. Not every thunder or lightning storm will produce these.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
elves and sprites came from World of Warcraft

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

These phenomena could explain the flashes of light that have been witnessed. This does not count for all sightings, but it is an interesting idea and does belong here as it is a possible explanation for some. I have not heard of this before, and if I saw it, I would call it a UFO.

Thank you for posting this.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalek
elves and sprites came from World of Warcraft

Hey buddy try adding to the conversation.

No one is talking about elves and sprites.

This is the name given to the phenomenon. It happens when really powerful lightning and thunderstorms move to a higher altitude and begin charging the air around them, then when a lightning strike happens any charged particles and air become the crown of the bolt hitting Earth. It's like a gun backfiring.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Bottom line: The Earth is a bad - a$$ mo fo. Don't F with it! It'll break yo stellite grill!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Yep I know they are natural phenomenon but with renewed investigation and first time satellite footage I expect that the push for natural causes will be renewed.

This was more a warning of arguments to come against the UFO phenomenon. Arguably if they can get these pictures why are there no UFO pictures from satellites? (we all know why).

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

yeah it was a Joke

sry u had to spend 30mins composing and writing your reply

new topics

top topics

join