It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intel cuts electric cords with wireless power system

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Intel cuts electric cords with wireless power system

news.yahoo.com

Intel chief technology officer Justin Rattner demonstrated a Wireless Energy Resonant Link as he spoke at the California firm's annual developers forum in San Francisco.

Electricity was sent wirelessly to a lamp on stage, lighting a 60 watt bulb that uses more power than a typical laptop computer.

Most importantly, the electricity was transmitted without zapping anything or anyone that got between the sending and receiving units.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This reminded me of Tesla's dream...wonder if it is his technology??

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I wonder if it is theoretically possible to power electic cars on a wireless highway??

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yes Tesla messed with this... and never got it working. They cut his funding off when they realized they couldn't put a meter on it and charge customers for the power usage.

No, it won't be deployed with cars... because you won't be able to know who to send the bill to.

Resonant wireless power couplings have been working for a few years now. Only, nobody has been really using it. A couple of companies realized they can use it to recharge cellphones when brought near the base station, but beyond that, nada.

The biggest problem with laptops at the moment is the incredible weight added by the battery pack. In many laptops, the battery is just as heavy as the rest of the computer, if not heavier in some cases.

Hence, if they use resonant wireless power couplings, you can plug the base station into a nearby power outlet, and wander around the room without worrying about battery power, and with the laptop being allot lighter.

Now comes the problem of keeping the base stations on separate resonances. Otherwise, you'll be powering other people's devices you have no intention of paying electricity for.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
WAIT A MINUTE!!!! Did not Tesla and edison have a very big fight about this last century with Rockafella ending by taking away Teslas' funding and launch a campaign of disinformation and US federal terrorism?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Tesla did so much back in his day it was unreal. And unfortunately, a good portion of it will probably not be real for us for a long time.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
remember, it was a serbian that brough you ! so many things !

oh yeh we got F117 yahoo

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Many years ago, I wonder how safe Tesla's airborne electricity really would have been ?
People of today still don't want to live near high tension power lines because of possible health problems.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
If Intel is working on this, then others might be working on this.
Maybe some day they will manage to supply us with power made from thin air, zero costs for the companies, yet they will bill it like they used to...

This is the only way it makes sense that these companies are researching this atm.

I can't start to imagine the benefits of this kind of technology in putting things to orbit since that with the relevant methods that will have to be applied, launch rockets may become totally independent of fuel. They could do all that and still have normal customers us to pay a fraction of what we used to for electricity bills. In a world where energy doesn't cost much, an economy is free to expand in other concepts that will also introduce some extra and probably unexpected benefits yet we haven't realized, like in space exploration.

No flag for this thread?
Shame!
Here's one!

[edit]
Tesla also had a design for a "wireless" powered aerial vehicle. I have lost the link though.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by spacebot]

[edit on 21-8-2008 by spacebot]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I thought the big concern today was ENERGY EFFICIENCY.
What is the efficiency of wireless power transmission versus copper?
They're making us convert to compact fluoresent to save a few measley watts, yet we're expected to believe the hype about eliminating hardwire connection? GET REAL!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

It could be possible to charge for electricity for cars by having the cars maintain an onboard regulated meter connected wirelessly to the highway network. Does anyone have a patent on that yet??

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
This reminded me of Tesla's dream...wonder if it is his technology??

It very well could be...But I wonder how Intel is going to arrange paying Tesla his due? Did Tesla actually have patents on his tech? And how can they pay royalties to a dead man?

Speaking of Tesla...
Tesla Motors
It should be pointed out that these cars don't rely on "wireless tech" though.

Originally posted by Orion Crystal Ice
Tesla did so much back in his day it was unreal. And unfortunately, a good portion of it will probably not be real for us for a long time.

Probably because the Big Oil Companies are trying so hard to gouge every penny of profit they can before the world oil supplies are exhausted. But you can also bet that they've already developed alternative tech that doesn't rely on oil...So that they can start gouging profits with that too.

It could be possible to charge for electricity for cars by having the cars maintain an onboard regulated meter connected wirelessly to the highway network. Does anyone have a patent on that yet??

Shhhhh! Don't give 'em any more bright ideas! Don't you think we're getting gouged enough as it is already?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

reply to post by johnsky

Yeah, I thought about that.

Problem I hit was, if someone simply disables the wireless meter, you can't exactly shut down an entire highway just to cut off that one car's usage of power.

And to MidnightDStroyer, yes, Tesla patented just about everything he had proven.
But your point still stands, there's no-one to pay royalties to.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I wonder what the possible range limit is, if there is one. Solar collecting stations in space beaming electricity to th ground would solve all of our power problems...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

reply to post by johnsky

Yeah, I thought about that.

Problem I hit was, if someone simply disables the wireless meter, you can't exactly shut down an entire highway just to cut off that one car's usage of power.

Couldn't it be something as simple as a wireless toll taker. It is obvious if you do not pay and photos are taken. Tickets are mailed to you home. If you are a chronic offender you are stopped and ofcourse it will all be tied in to your car's registration.

You know come to think of it I probably would not like the idea of the government knowing exactly when and where I am driving just on principle. Don't know if adequate privacy safeguards could be installed in the monitoring system?? But I love the tech!!

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Leo Strauss]

====
Mod Edit: Fixed quote tags

[edit on 10/30/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
I wonder what the possible range limit is, if there is one. Solar collecting stations in space beaming electricity to th ground would solve all of our power problems...

This was shot down quite a few years ago by the Treehuggers (environmentalists) because it was supposedly too dangerous etc.

Mehh.....The Technology for electric cars has been around for at least 100 years.

Let me make another point....... If they can make a SPORTS car that can go 220 miles on a single charge what do you think a Normal run of the mill non sports car could do? 300-400+ miles on a charge?

Probably a lot more.

The only thing that is preventing electric cars from coming out in any numbers is politics and money hungry oil companies. We have the tech etc to be able to offer free energy to the entire world..... The thing is .. No one is interested in something that doesn't make them money.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Yes Tesla messed with this... and never got it working. They cut his funding off when they realized they couldn't put a meter on it and charge customers for the power usage.

No, it won't be deployed with cars... because you won't be able to know who to send the bill to.

That never stopped them from making toll roads which charge everyone who take it.

The most certainly could and might create wireless highways for super hybrid cars. Once you are on them, you pay a toll, that would be less for what you would pay in gas normally.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
This is not a good idea. We do not need any amount of wattage pulsing through our homes and bodies. Mark my words : this will not end well.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LoveKnowledge

thats what they said about the devil machine...i mean the fax machine when it first came out

they said the same thing about the telephone

the television

basically - anything that transcends the common "word of mouth" process of communication is "not going to be a good thing"

I've heard, for almost 12 years now, that Cell Phones cause brain cancer

....12 yeras of accusations and not a single shred of proof.

This will be revolutionary.

No reason to fear it -- embrace it.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

I think I read they were working on this technology a year, probably more ago

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join