It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do with it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If you happened to stumble across ‘lost’ top secret information as with the case of the British document left on a train recently ( Read here ) or the missing memory stick containing all of the UK prisoner details ( read here ) proof of aliens, or other ‘interesting’ secret info, how would you deal with it?

Would you notify the authorities, the media, or as a dedicated ATSer would you race to the nearest computer and post the find on ATS?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Without a shadow of a doubt I would contact a paper not aligned with the ruling party, maybe two and do a bit of an auction, but I would get it safely to the established media to both safeguard the data and ensure that the issue was raised in the public arena. Our government is sloppy.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Me? Well I'd probably post the find on ATS if it had something to do with aliens etc etc. I don't trust the govt. or the media. Report something like this to the media or the cops, and expect to see guys in black suits at your front door.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Why not sell it to the tabloids and make a a few $$.

I have to agree with Striker. I don't have much trust for the media and government as well but then I am sure if you post it here everyone would scream hoax.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'd contact the Amigo's quietly and get some advice from folks that are actually in the business. ATS would get a scoop, tons of publicity and with a little bit of luck, they wouldn't sell me out and send me off to the detention camp in Cuba.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Thats a tricky one-risk breaking the official secrets act and spend time at her majesty's pleasure or make some cash or post on ATS?
It would depend what it was, I suppose?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'd talk it over with my Bride, and we'd reach a strategy, and I speculate it would be like this:

I would first copy it, photograph the evidence, store the data on a flash drive, and hide it someplace that would be safe and concealed for a long time. I would then contact two people in different locations that I know I can trust, and send them a copy as well, as well as a signed note from me attesting to where and how I came by the information, with as much data as I could remember.

I would then bring it here to ATS, possibly as a masked IP, but contact ATS staff first, let them know who I am and how to verify it.

Then I would post it here. If it had merit, it would be picked up by the other sites anyway, so there would be no need to disseminate it widely. After it had garnered web attention, I would contact whatever my most favorable news agency of the moment was. I would let them carry it. If Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart or Glenn Beck wanted me, they'd have to pony up some serious protection as well.

Then, I think we'd hide. I know how to do that.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I don't think I would have gone to that much effort for security, but like the way said, it would depend on what it was.
Depending on what info was contained in the 'found documents' this kind of security might be necessary. Even if you did not open or access the info, it would be hard to convince the owner too.
I guess it should have added in my original question. If you saw a document pouch that had a government seal on it marked top secret, would you be tempted to have a look Before reporting it? Then, depending on the nature of the info, how would you deal with it?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

For some reason this story reeks of B.S. , I mean first of all my understanding of "top secret" meant that documents never left the building. I have a hard time believing that twice in the same short period, very sensitive documentation found its way into a newspaper. Again,PHEEEEW...!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by spookjr

That may be so, and is the general gist of the threads about them, but I was just using these news stories as a basis for a hypothetical.
What if you were the one that came across this type of info?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I have had sensitive info in my hands before,but I never could imagine having it outside of the setting I was in.
I think if I were to find such info I would anonymously send it to a member of this site's board and see that it was posted for all to see. Especially if it was relevant to current or recent events. I think that this would be the best way to get the info out there in a safe manner while also getting it in front of a lot of people, then youtube,then everywhere...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Now you are in the spirit of things…

You also have my curiosity.

Originally posted by spookjr
I have had sensitive info in my hands before,but I never could imagine having it outside of the setting I was in.

I may be risking my life even asking, but what is your setting? Any of that info ATSworthy and have you ever been tempted?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I would not even pick it up.

That's too much like volunteering.

I volunteered once on my own, then hundreds of times whether I liked it or not! It can take years to get over that.

The true meaning of NAVY
_______
Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

OK. So what if you found it not knowing what it was at first and then realised? Would you pretend you never saw it? Trash it? put it back?...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I would have a good look and see what it was. Check the media to see if there were any reports of "it" being missing but would doubt it depending on what it was.

If it turned out to be legit I might sit on it for a while to see how much interest there is for it.
Not for financial gain so much but I would never say no if it came to that.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

When you realise a true secret. You will also learn why it has been kept a secret.

Experience is worth so much more than knowledge.

That is the very reason knowledge can be dangerous if shared.

If you know both knowledge with experience then you will keep a secret no matter how unbelievable because you understand the importance of journey.

To answer your question. I already have.

top topics

join