It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rode the bus with an Iraqi today

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I gave you a star. What an interesting perspective you've found. Whether or not we're there for the right reason, that's a great story. I don't know how I feel about the war... but I hope that guy has a good life from now on. I guess he earned it.

Is it possible that this is propaganda and./or the guy was just a US Military asskisser? Maybe... but it's nice to hear something good, regardless. All I ever hear about Iraq is dead children and depleted uranium and neo cons and NWO.... and I get frickin' tired of it... even if it is true, which it is, it's just too much negativity to focus on sometimes.

I mean... there's enough # I gotta deal with that's bad. I actually want to believe that this is the way it really is over there. I wanna believe that the US is generally doing good things for the people.... because the world is so #ed up, and my life isn't a bed of roses, either. I can't decide. Truth or happiness?

Happiness feels better sometimes, even if it isn't completely true. At least it's something to smile about.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Here we are turning over Al Anbar, a historically dangerous provence that we once struggled to maintain control of, to the Iraqis due to a stable security situation.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteOneActual

Want a cookie?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by spookjr

Thanks for sharing your experience, I think it makes a great topic. The details of the conversation you provided are encouraging, insightful, and sadly rare to hear. I would very much like to believe Rafid, and to an extent I do.

But, after reviewing your original post for a second time, I can't help but ask myself why Rafid, who is implying iraqi life has improved since american intervention, would take his family and move to the states? Another thought I have is that it seems likely Rafid's work as a guide and interpreter for General Petraeus's command unit would require a certain amount of bias towards the situation in Iraq. One could argue his perspective should come as no surprise.

There is an HBO documentary, Baghdad High, that paints a similar picture but it is much more critical of american efforts. It was filmed a few years ago by four highschool students in Baghdad and although its main focus is not that of popular Iraqi opinion on current events, you get a feel for what people over there think of whats going on.

Shortly after September 11th, I was perparing for my drivers license. I had the fortune of having a certain iraqi driving instructor. After some time spent behind the wheel with him, he told me a little about his life in Iraq. He shared with me stories of Saddam Hussein, who killed many of his family and relatives. One story in particular I remember him telling was of him having to carry his dying brother to saftey across the desert because Saddam had wanted him dead. Somehow down the road he joined the marines and became a US citizen. This guy had no reservations that what we were doing was the right thing. Then again, that was in the beginning, and alot has happened since then. Still, I thought I would share that since its on topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join