It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Spent Years as a POW with John McCain, and His Finger Should Not Be Near the Red Button

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This is a great article written by a man who KNOWS McCain and what he is capable of...

A fellow Vietnam POW of McCain's warns of the candidate's "quick and explosive temper" and suggests McCain is exaggerating his imprisonment.

4) John was awarded a Silver Star and Purple Heart for heroism and wounds in combat. This heroism has been played up in the press and in his various political campaigns. But it should be known that there were approximately 600 military POW's in Vietnam. Among all of us, decorations awarded have recently been totaled to the following: Medals of Honor -- 8, Service Crosses -- 42, Silver Stars -- 590, Bronze Stars -- 958 and Purple Hearts -- 1,249. John certainly performed courageously and well. But it must be remembered that he was one hero among many -- not uniquely so as his campaigns would have people believe.

Continue reading

www.alternet.org...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
So, the alternative is to put someone in there who knows little about politics, which we already currently have and are threatening to put another in there with Obama, and absolutely nothing about the military?
Yeah, that makes sense. :shk:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
So, the alternative is to put someone in there who knows little about politics, which we already currently have and are threatening to put another in there with Obama, and absolutely nothing about the military?
Yeah, that makes sense. :shk:

NO! The alternative is to leave the button under the control of a responsible person under the leadership of a responsible executive!

WRITE IN RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

Don't give in to peer pressure, misdirection, and criticism. Stand your ground.

Truly,

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I think it's funny that all the Anti-McCain people think he's going to blow his top and order a nuclear strike.

Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, if this happened one of his advisors would put a stop to it?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dnbaudio

DNB, I've read a few of your posts and you seem like a rational level headed individual. My question is this... Doesn't Ron Paul come across a little cooky sometimes?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
if we go ahead and write in Ron Paul then that will just secure McCain in the WhiteHouse..........because Obama will not have enough support.

We CANT put another Republican in there right now its ridiculous to go on in the same vein we have been going.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, if this happened one of his advisors would put a stop to it?

Ummmmm. I am speechless. Surely this post deserves some type of response. I just don't have it. I usually try to stay out of the political debates but surely we expect more from a President then someone whose advisors would be placed in a supervisory role. In a role that would require them to possibly prevent the President from initiating a nuclear holocaust. Maybe John McCain's advisors should be President...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
People would do well to read the original link:

It is also disappointing to see him take on and support Bush's war in Iraq, even stating we might be there for another 100 years. For me John represents the entrenched and bankrupt policies of Washington-as-usual. The past 7 years have proven to be disastrous for our country. And I believe John's views on war, foreign policy, economics, environment, health care, education, national infrastructure and other important areas are much the same as those of the Bush administration.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Anyone you put in there is going to enforce a "politics as usual" policy. Remember, Bush was supposed to "change" Washington? Yeah, that's worked out well.

Honestly, the all talk about change, but few actually follow through with it once they get in office. As a matter of fact, I can't think of one that has done so.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
No child left behind. The old gray goat buries his head in the sand in shame.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
reply to post by buddhasystem

Anyone you put in there is going to enforce a "politics as usual" policy. Remember, Bush was supposed to "change" Washington? Yeah, that's worked out well.

All I can say is that Bush indeed brought an unprecedented change of regime to Washington DC. From Iraq war to wiretapping to staggering deficit, the changes were all dramatic and ruinous to our country. So he kept his campaign promise alright.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Tapped In

The person writing this is obviously a left leaning liberal democrat that spent "years" with McCain as a POW in Vietnam. Please allow me an opportunity to balance that propaganda peice with one of my own. How about another "POW" story you won't read on the net.

Here you go:

It came to me while I was having dinner with Doris Day. No, not that Doris Day. The Doris Day who is married to Col. Bud Day, Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, fighter pilot, Vietnam POW and roommate of John McCain at the Hanoi Hilton.

As we ate near the Days' home in Florida recently, I heard things about Sen. McCain that were deeply moving and politically troubling. Moving because they told me things about him the American people need to know. And troubling because it is clear that Mr. McCain is one of the most private individuals to run for president in history. When it comes to choosing a president, the American people want to know more about a candidate than policy positions. They want to know about character, the values ingrained in his heart. For Mr. McCain, that means they will want to know more about him personally than he has been willing to reveal.

Mr. Day relayed to me one of the stories Americans should hear. It involves what happened to him after escaping from a North Vietnamese prison during the war. When he was recaptured, a Vietnamese captor broke his arm and said, "I told you I would make you a cripple." The break was designed to shatter Mr. Day's will. He had survived in prison on the hope that one day he would return to the United States and be able to fly again. To kill that hope, the Vietnamese left part of a bone sticking out of his arm, and put him in a misshapen cast. This was done so that the arm would heal at "a goofy angle," as Mr. Day explained. Had it done so, he never would have flown again. But it didn't heal that way because of John McCain. Risking severe punishment, Messrs. McCain and Day collected pieces of bamboo in the prison courtyard to use as a splint. Mr. McCain put Mr. Day on the floor of their cell and, using his foot, jerked the broken bone into place. Then, using strips from the bandage on his own wounded leg and the bamboo, he put Mr. Day's splint in place.

Years later, Air Force surgeons examined Mr. Day and complimented the treatment he'd gotten from his captors. Mr. Day corrected them. It was Dr. McCain who deserved the credit. Mr. Day went on to fly again.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I'd rather not vote for anyone. To get involved in politics (governmentally speaking... I don't believe in that. You could just communicate effectively and not need to call it politics) is to get involved in something I wholeheartedly don't agree with.

If nobody voted and somebody was elected anyway, there's a sure fire way to know the whole thing is rigged!

Seriously, if we don't like the way things are done, we should do what the politicians do to us all the time. Ignore them! Don't give their opinions credence. Instead of doing something, do absolutely nothing. Pursue what makes you happy, don't vote, don't give the corporations your power, don't ACT. Just BE.... and little #er#s like this would never be able to have the potential to rule over individual sovereignty again.

It's a hard thing to do. I don't expect everyone to go "Yes, easily done!" and then like completely shut themselves and their families and friends off from participating in trhe massively entangled lie... but I guess I'm just making suggestions. For everyone who complains about people talking about solutions but not following their own advice, I suggest you try following my advice... How easy is it?

It's a process.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Tapped In

In Nevada we like to gamble, so I'll see your POW story and raise you another, read on:

Another McCain story, somewhat better known, is about the Vietnamese practice of torturing him by tying his head between his ankles with his arms behind him, and then leaving him for hours. The torture so badly busted up his shoulders that to this day Mr. McCain can't raise his arms over his head. One night, a Vietnamese guard loosened his bonds, returning at the end of his watch to tighten them again so no one would notice. Shortly after, on Christmas Day, the same guard stood beside Mr. McCain in the prison yard and drew a cross in the sand before erasing it. Mr. McCain later said that when he returned to Vietnam for the first time after the war, the only person he really wanted to meet was that guard.

Mr. Day recalls with pride Mr. McCain stubbornly refusing to accept special treatment or curry favor to be released early, even when gravely ill. Mr. McCain knew the Vietnamese wanted the propaganda victory of the son and grandson of Navy admirals accepting special treatment. "He wasn't corruptible then," Mr. Day says, "and he's not corruptible today."

The stories told to me by the Days involve more than wartime valor. For example, in 1991 Cindy McCain was visiting Mother Teresa's orphanage in Bangladesh when a dying infant was thrust into her hands. The orphanage could not provide the medical care needed to save her life, so Mrs. McCain brought the child home to America with her. She was met at the airport by her husband, who asked what all this was about. Mrs. McCain replied that the child desperately needed surgery and years of rehabilitation. "I hope she can stay with us," she told her husband. Mr. McCain agreed. Today that child is their teenage daughter Bridget. I was aware of this story. What I did not know, and what I learned from Doris, is that there was a second infant Mrs. McCain brought back. She ended up being adopted by a young McCain aide and his wife.

"We were called at midnight by Cindy," Wes Gullett remembers, and "five days later we met our new daughter Nicki at the L.A. airport wearing the only clothing Cindy could find on the trip back, a 7-Up T-shirt she bought in the Bangkok airport." Today, Nicki is a high school sophomore. Mr. Gullett told me, "I never saw a hospital bill" for her care.

[edit on 8/21/2008 by TheRooster]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I cannot wait any longer for the political forum!

And honestly why does any of this matter? Not all but it seems allot of people use this war hero POW thing as some sort of ticket of achievement. Honestly I would rather have a president that did not get caught ever think of that? Honestly and quite frankly the guy is a loser he was caught he did not win and wont. This logic maybe flawed but no more than those who say he should be a better president because he spent some time in the hotel.

fnord.
hail eris.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
People don't seem to remember the way Bush demonized McCain in the 2000 GOP primaries. They had vets coming out against McCain almost like they went after Kerry in 2004. Then there's the story of him juicing the afterburners and killing over 100 men on the aircraft carrier he flew off of. So what IS the truth?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Stories like this cannot be mulled on.
C'mon, how hard is it for some regular joe to come out and say

'' huck, yes sirree I was a POW with mccain an by golly he's a maniac ''

Any hill billy hick can make up some bs story, if the 2004 election showed anything, the gullable public will believe anything, so long as someone says it on camera.

Im sorry, but any man who sings
'' bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran ''

SHOULD NOT BE PRESIDENT!

no matter what bs story comes out, singing that as a joke to press just seals the deal that you are not fit to lead a nation with nuclear weapons!

As for Obama?.. as much as I 'liked' the guy, he's starting to appear as dirty as the others...

Ron Paul? .. Im yet to see this man tell a lie, or say something for personal gain.
I saw movies last night of him stating in 2002 that the Iraq intel was false, and the war would blow out to hundreds of billions of dollars and it would be a war without end.

who ever says thats cooky obviously cant do simply maths.

because to date, Ron Paul is right and if America has any hope of starving of death.. that mans your ticket.
he'd pick the right advisors and he'd be honest on the camera.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
Then there's the story of him juicing the afterburners and killing over 100 men on the aircraft carrier he flew off of. So what IS the truth?

You mean where another aircraft on his carrier had an accidental firing of a Zuni rocket that blew up and killed a butt load of sailors? I've always wondered how this got attributed to McCain doing something wrong?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tapped In

Continue reading

Before I take your advice, does the linked article contain any factual information on contemporary issues of importance to the U.S. citizenry, and McCain's platform/strategy related to those issues?

If not, why should I read it?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
Maybe John McCain's advisors should be President...

No that doesn't work...look how it turn out for Bush...Cheney is the real President, Bush is a mouthpiece.

top topics

join