It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New FFXI boss could take 24 hours to kill L O L

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
www.joystiq.com...

first let me say FFXI is ultra lame.

2ndly haha.

3rd Well it took an uber boss to make people finally make the right decisions in life hahah.

4th: LOL LOL LOL

5th: FFXI sucks.

"People were passing out and getting physically ill," guild leaders said. "We decided to end it before we risked turning into a horrible new story about how video games ruin people's lives."

6thly: Warhammer > WoW > a huge turd in the toilet > FFXI

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Perhaps they wanted to accumulate some feedback from their failing at KH2 (terrible game, 22 hours to beat). Still 24 hours for a boss? Square Enix fails.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
it also cracks me up! they were so screwed by that boss that some started to make responsible choices about life...
LOLZ!!!!

whats that supposed to mean!

but anyhow, how is it possible that a boss takes so much time to beat? what is wrong with the developers or the players that they cant take him in less time?

I'm curious, I'll try to find out more about it....

JbT

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Im on the other side of the fence.

I applaud the developers. FFxi has always been a hardcore game, if you play(ed) you know.

This game has never been for every one, just the crazy hardcore MMO type.

It takes balls to develop content this tough in the face of the carebare-ish, give-everything-to-everyone, type mentality of WoW. Also the reason WoW does so well. As we can tell by this post, people would rather have it easy (WoW) than hard (FFxi).

I can tell you there will only be a couple people world wide who ever see loot from that boss (If they ever see it, there is still another boss in FFxi that has never been killed - Absolute Virtue, I belive), and that in its own right is every hardcore MMO players wet dream.

When I read that first... I myself almost went back to the game.

Bravo! FFxi Devs!

[edit on 21-8-2008 by JbT]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
you've got a point there man!
from a hardkore perspective the unbeatable boss is really something!

But why is it unbeatable? is he simple overpowered? are the PC's not tough enough? does it require a party playing like clockwork?
Does it appear when the Pc's are too weak??

JbT

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Here is a quote from the joystiq.com page in the OPs link

Vajra
Aug 14th 2008
1:13PM
Pandemonium Warden has 20 different forms, so it's not the same boring boss for 18hrs straight. It uses this move called "Hellsnap" (Dvergr family special move) as soon as you pop it, and then transforms into one of the Aht Urghan bosses, and spawns 8 lamps (which are different looking depending on what form he's in. Like say if he's Gulfur the Menacing (TOAU Troll King), you'll see Troll Destroyer type lamps under the name "Pandemonium Lamp", If it's in Hydra form, then you'll see "Dahak" type lamps under the name "Pandemonium Lamp" If it's in Cerberus form, then it'll be "Bomb" type lamps etc...Anyways these forms take can take 1hr+ JUST TO BEAT 1. They are alot harder than the original TOAU version.

Vajra
Aug 14th 2008
1:34PM
Bleh not sure why my comments are so hard to post here...anyways forgot to mention, "Hellsnap" is an (Area of effect: Stun) move. It uses it before each transformation after u beat the previous form etc...The final form (form 20) is the original Dvergr form in which he has lamps that are mini versions of himself, The BTL ls was on their 18th hour when they reached the final form, but it was impossible to beat because of it's difficulty (Used a move called Thundris Shreik) which is an (Area of effect: Terrorize (Stop magic)) and causes constant intimidation effect. Most of them were passed out or couldn't continue on any longer, Anyways that's all I wanted to say, hopefully this comment posts.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
thats some crazy neo psychedelic human - software interaction!

I attended to some pretty hardkore LANS back in the day, I can testify, people pass out after 16+ hours in front of a computer NONSTOP...

back when the world was a kindler gentler way

JbT

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Just an update:
ffxi.allakhazam.com...

From PlayOnline.com:

The past two weeks have seen considerable feedback from players regarding the amount of time required to combat the Pandemonium Warden, a recently implemented Notorious Monster (NM). Discussion has spread significantly throughout forums, and it has become apparent that this is indeed an issue of major unrest in the community.

We would like to assure players that the development and management teams place a high value on their feedback, and the issue has since been taken under serious consideration. Together with Absolute Virtue, it has been deemed that the combative techniques for weakening these NMs are too difficult. As a result, some players have engaged these enemies using unanticipated methods which led to extended battle times. It is by no means the desire of the development team to see players involved in encounters that require an excessive amount of time and effort to complete. It was for this reason that previous measures were put into practice which prohibited NMs from being held in battle for prolonged periods. In response to these events, we have determined that further alterations are required to prevent such battles from exceeding a certain predetermined length of time.

Included in the version update scheduled for early September will be modifications to the degree of difficulty of Pandemonium Warden (and associated pets), Absolute Virtue (and associated pets), and Jailer of Love. The aim of these changes is to create battles where a decisive outcome may be reached within a shorter period of time.

The development and management teams would like to take this opportunity to express their commitment to a healthy and wholesome game environment for players everywhere to enjoy, and to thank them for the continued feedback.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by JbT]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
thats some good news to all the FFXI junkies that had to kill that boss!
I believe that no developer will ever know how "creative" the playerbase can get!

they weren't expecting that some kids would try it!
A sign of the postmodern times we live in...

thanks for the update!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JbT
Im on the other side of the fence.

I applaud the developers. FFxi has always been a hardcore game, if you play(ed) you know.

This game has never been for every one, just the crazy hardcore MMO type.

It takes balls to develop content this tough in the face of the carebare-ish, give-everything-to-everyone, type mentality of WoW. Also the reason WoW does so well. As we can tell by this post, people would rather have it easy (WoW) than hard (FFxi).

I can tell you there will only be a couple people world wide who ever see loot from that boss (If they ever see it, there is still another boss in FFxi that has never been killed - Absolute Virtue, I belive), and that in its own right is every hardcore MMO players wet dream.

When I read that first... I myself almost went back to the game.

Bravo! FFxi Devs!

[edit on 21-8-2008 by JbT]

ffxi for me is just too fantasticaly gay looking to stomach.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Dude... Don't use the word 'Gay' to describe something negative...
You might piss off the Gay Reighcts Groups...

On this issue of the boss...

I think it could be cool...
Im not a MMORPG player at all, but the concept of SUPER-Challenging parts of games is cool...

In Call of Duty 4, the bounus mission in the game, You have to save a hostage on the plane, is SUPER hard on the Hardest setting...
You have 60 seconds to do everything...
I've spend HOURS trying to beat this mission and havent...

Very challenging Games are a good thing...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
yes they are, but not games where trying to beat them is some kind of torture...
Do it for the shorties, some cant help themselves!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Wow.. yea this kind of thing is getting out of hand. World of Warcraft is like this as well. Not as bad but damn close. And people wonder why kids nowadays are so screwed up. lol.

I'm glad I haven't played any Final Fantasies after IX. From the sounds of this thread looks like I won't be starting any soon either.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
yup, they want kids to be just sitting there, grinding their way to better content, and when you get there , you find out you need to grind some more...

thats a big turn off for me, specially with MMO's , grind=content=time=money so sad...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneEyedProphet

Yep once I hit 70 the game started getting boring. It takes way to long to get all that gear too. Basically all you do now is do dailies and instances (if you can find a group without waiting 2 hours)

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero

Originally posted by Lysergic

Dude... Don't use the word 'Gay' to describe something negative...
You might piss off the Gay Reighcts Groups...

IMHO they can tell it to the judge.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Player vs Player FTW in any mmo.

If you want to grind play a single player game :p

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

Dude, FFXII and FFX(And kind of X-2 though it was pretty bad) are nothing like FFXI. FFXI is a online Multi game the others are single player with decent to good storylines.

Anyways, I play WoW and if I can't kill something after 5 minutes I stop and go do something else.

join