It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Athletes And Judging

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Why is it that in a sport at the Olympics where points choose the winner America is dominating. But in sports where judges decide who "won" China is dominating?

My theory is that the judges know they are in a country not exactly known for civil rights. If a Chinese athlete in say, gymnastics falls flat on her face while another lands her dismount, they still give the medal to the Chinese athlete knowing if this athlete fails they may very well be taken out back and shot. Or the judges may be taken out back and shot.

Of course it might not be that blatant. It could be say, a random Chinese man stabs an American coach then commits suicide to intimidate the American team. Oh wait, that happened...

But yeah, my theory anyways on why China is doing so well in judging sports. The judges don't want the death of a Chinese athlete on their hands because even though the athlete fell off the uneven bars they will get a higher rating so they aren't executed for disgracing their home country.

Also, I'm not paranoid. China told a little girl she was too ugly for TV even though she won the competition to sing at the opening ceremonies. Just imagine what might happen to an athlete who "disgraces" China on national TV.

BTW, Not sure where this would go, and since Olympics are Current Events put it here.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
eh? it was a coaches family member who was shot.

therefore im obliged not to give the rest of your post any credibility.

sorry.

bigmoose

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Thats exactly what everyone I know whats been saying about the points.

Almost EVERY single event China has won gold in has been on judging.

While i still believe china would be in the lead, I do seriously believe the US and other countries were robbed of several gold medals.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Was anyone surprised by it? I don't think it was this bad during the Olympics under Hitler. I read today that the conspiracy over the gymnasts age is under investigation. If they do end up disqualifying the girl and the team for the team medal they won, how will the government react? That is my big question. Considering the allowed ages were based on government issued passports, that will be an open admission of government corruption and cheating. For a nation that values saving face, that wont be good.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

table tennis,badminton,weight lifting,shooting,archery....,dont be such a sore loser,that's pathetic.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
not used to be No.2,eh?dont worry ,from this olympics ,you will get used to it.win is win,lose is lose,china has a huge lead in gold,you cant even narrow the gap by any single event.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
saying the olympics is in china so the judges from all over the world will favor china is loser's theory,un has had many olympics,L.A,Atlanta,when those olympics are in your country when none of those questions were raised.
as for this olympics,ukraine fencing team won chinese team to get the gold by just one point,and everyone says the last point should be given to chinese team,but was given to ukraine.and men's weightlifting,it was so clear chinese weightlifter successfully lifted the weight,but was declare a failure by the jugde....,we lost many sure win god medals too,you win,youwin,you lose ,you lose

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB

The actual figure is 23. So 23 were won in judging events and 23 won't. But to suggest that judging was the reason China won is really absurd. China didn't win by little margins in the majority of them, they won by LARGE margins. Look at the diving for instance, a clean sweep and no competitor in sight. I woouldn't blame the competition either since all the Chinese drivers are the world leaders already. In gymnastics the men did a clean sweep through a combination of being world champions in their events and having harder routines.

Anyhow, I dont see what all the fuse is about. America has MORE medals in womens gymnastics then China does.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krieger
If a Chinese athlete in say, gymnastics falls flat on her face while another lands her dismount, they still give the medal to the Chinese athlete knowing if this athlete fails they may very well be taken out back and shot.

That is the worst fantasy I have ever heard.

Athens 2004 - China was primed to take a clean sweep of the mens gymnastics, they didn't and barely was able to get one. What happened, were they taken out and beaten?, stabbed to death, labour camp?. No, they were welcomed as heros in China for their effort, yes people were disappointed as were the gymnast but what did the gymnast do?, they trained themselves like never before and won every minor and major title before the games began and made a clean sweep of the mens gymnastics except for the vault.

This is how gymnastics scores are worked out

Part A for dificulty eg 6.8 difficulty

Part B for execution - Always begin with a base value of 10 deducted by the amount of imperfections. A fall is 0.8 and most others are under 0.3.

Cheng Fe fell and got a very low score of 15. But the Competition is done through the AVERAGE of TWO attempts. Her first attempt was the HIGHEST in the competition which was 16+ so thats why she had a higher score.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

The actual figure is 23. So 23 were won in judging events and 23 won't. But to suggest that judging was the reason China won is really absurd. China didn't win by little margins in the majority of them, they won by LARGE margins. Look at the diving for instance, a clean sweep and no competitor in sight. I woouldn't blame the competition either since all the Chinese drivers are the world leaders already. In gymnastics the men did a clean sweep through a combination of being world champions in their events and having harder routines.

Anyhow, I dont see what all the fuse is about. America has MORE medals in womens gymnastics then China does.

Its called statistical anomalies and there are many of them here. There has been several acts that have shown it too.

I dont see why you and haidan are getting your panties in a bunch, I've admitted china would still be in the lead. Sore loser? No, not really. China one more fair and square, thats not to say there arent a handfull of medals that belong in the hands of others (not neccesarily americans fyi).

Its funny though because in 4 years you'll see China is not #1 anymore, simply because they wont be held in a corrupt nation with biased or paid off judges.

I guarantee you something will come out proving the theory.

At the start of the olympics China still had a lead. I was still happy, I added you as a friend haidan and was overall pretty happy with the way things were headed, then china showed its real face....

Needless to say.... your actions have proven where you stand. You are the typical propaganda machine and for that you lose all my respect.

See you in 2012 when the playing field is level.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   

thats not to say there arent a handfull of medals that belong in the hands of others

And some other medals should have belonged to China. The fencing, some faluts in volleyball and other events with judges. But whos complaining?. China has lost a lot of close ones aswell but China isn't going on about how we should have won them. Bronze and silver has also been decided by a few decisions as well. Sometimes you get some and some times you lose some

simply because they wont be held in a corrupt nation with biased or paid off judges.

So decisions dont go Americans way so the other country paid the judges off? Valeri Liukin, Nastia father thinks is because of an Australian vendetta against her daugther NOT because judges are being paid to give better scores. Anyway, what is the difference between paying them off in these olympics and being paid off in say, sydney or athens when Chinese gymnast won a total of 3 gold between them even though most of them were world champions?. The Americans paid them off in athens????.

If China is paying the judges off then one gold medal for women doesn't seem to be worth it. The Womens team gold was won easily after American failed so much of their routines and Zou's routine was clearly harder to perform. If China did cheat then its disappointing that she only got 1 contentionius gold for it

Amid the uncertainty and confusion over a complex tiebreak system that few initially understood, Valeri Liukin then accused Australian judges of "consistently" thwarting his daughter's title chances. It is a grievance dating back to 2005 and also aired at last year's world championships in Stuttgart, when Nastia was denied the bars title by just 0.050 while Australian Jill Wright was on the judging panel.

"Gymnastics Australia has full confidence in our judge," Allen said. "She judged what she saw and she believes that the gymnasts were ranked correctly. This is not the first time that Valeri Liukin has targeted Australian judges, and he obviously looks at the judge who has not given the result he wants for his daughter.

www.smh.com.au...

Hopefully its even. Then China can reclaim those 2 other gold America stole off her

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
china suffered humiliating failure in1988 olympics,got only 5 gold.but we only blamed ourselves,not korean judges.and from that devastating defeat,china learned a lot and determined to make things better,and in 1992,china got 16 gold,in 2000 we got 28,and in 2004 china got 32.basically big big progress every single olympics,with that trend persists,i believe in 2012 the lead can be only bigger.

in 1982 china overtook japan narrowly as the top sports power in asia at asian games,and stay on top ever since ,the lead is bigger and bigger and now is unsurmountable.i think the same thing will also happen for the olympics. i m pretty optimistic about the result in2012 olympics,let's wait and see.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Yes, China's large gold medal tally surely is a big strange,

I always thought it was because of the right cocktails pumped into the veins, but that cant be the case 100% of the time.

I think what we're seeing here is a mixture of American athletes not being able to handle losing, and the judges favouring the home team..

In saying that,

I saw a report last night where an American gymnast actually accused the judges full on of cheating, and giving the chinese points she didnt deserve. she said she landed perfectly, where as the chinese faulted.

The replay showed this to be true, what the replay also showed is that a lot of her movements on the bar were sloppy, legs bent, not together, arms not right etc etc etc...

but she didnt comment on that!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
america has hosted several olympic games ,should other countries also complain about no level playing field?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
AndrewTB,

Both the American 4X100 teams are out, men and women. That is their bread and butter event and they fumbled that one.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   

In Athens in 2004, the USA edged China in the gold medal race 36-32

even 4 years ago,the gold tally was very close bt china and the united states,so the result of this olympics was predicted by many people and organizations,it is not at all a surprise.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Can anyone smell must in the air?

That's the smell of sour grapes.

Get over it - no country has a right to win medals, and that's what this smacks of.

Read and understand the rules, watch the events, instead of whining.

geez

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
what the replay also showed is that a lot of her movements on the bar were sloppy, legs bent, not together, arms not right etc etc etc...

I'm a little bit confused. Did you mean the Chinese one or American one?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Its funny though because in 4 years you'll see China is not #1 anymore, simply because they wont be held in a corrupt nation with biased or paid off judges.

Most countries who host the Olympics tend to find themselves higher in the table/ score chart then they usually are (For various reasons, Patriotism, Emphasis on the events leading to better training, bribes, steroids and so forth). I expect that in 2012 UK or atleast the "English" side of the Athletes will do better than they normally would. But as for the bias and bribing, for the most part just about all countries (especially the major countries) are guilty of it at some point. No country who hosts the event wants to suck that year and make themselves look worse after all.

That is assuming that the Olympic buildings in England are even finished by the time it comes to using them in 2012. Considering our record with these types of things in the past few decades I wouldn't be surprised if there where delays especially after the delay we had with the new Wembley Stadium.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
That's the main case in point that proves the conspiracy.

The Chinese Athlete LANDED ON HER FACE! The American lands cleanly both times. The American gets a lower score then the Chinese who LANDED ON HER FACE! its amazing to see. Surprised she didn't break anything. But sure enough she gets the medal over someone who landed cleanly.

But you know, it's not like China is KNOWN for human right violations. Burning people alive for handing out Bibles, running them over with tanks in a certain geometry shape...

Also, sorry, it was the father of a coach who was killed by a *random* Chinese man who then committed suicide so he couldn't be questioned.

*Random, yeah, just happened to find a family member of a coach of an American team, kill him, then jump off a building so couldn't be questioned.

Also, I wonder where the families of the Chinese athletes are. I can really see it.
"You win gold, no die. You win silver, mother die. You win bronze, mother and father die. You win none all family and you die."

Cause again, you know, China has a great human rights record...

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Krieger]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join