It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Warns Supervisors of Democratic Win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Wal-Mart Warns Supervisors of Democratic Win

elections.foxnews.com

“The meeting leader said, ‘I am not telling you how to vote, but if the Democrats win, this bill will pass and you won’t have a vote on whether you want a union,’” said a Wal-Mart customer-service supervisor from Missouri. “I am not a stupid person. They were telling me how to vote,” she said.

And from The Wall Street Journal...

Wal-Mart may be walking a fine legal line by holding meetings with its store department heads that link politics with a strong antiunion message. Federal election rules permit companies to advocate for specific political candidates to its executives, stockholders and salaried managers, but not to hourly employees. While store managers are on salary, department supervisors are hourly workers.

However, employers have fairly broad leeway to disseminate information about candidates' voting records and positions on issues, according to Jan Baran, a Washington attorney and expert on election law.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
online.wsj.com

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Higher wages....Better health care....

No wonder they are against this legislation. Anything to keep from treating lower middle class people from having a fighting chance...and keep the "working poor" working, and poor.

elections.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Grafilthy]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
If the only job they can do is Walmart, they need to get some skills. No pity here. They already get paid vacations, bonuses sick leave, medical and IRA's, WTF no wonder the mexicans can find so many jobs, all the americans are working at Walmart instead of infrastructure.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
If the only job they can do is Walmart, they need to get some skills. No pity here. They already get paid vacations, bonuses sick leave, medical and IRA's, WTF no wonder the mexicans can find so many jobs, all the americans are working at Walmart instead of infrastructure.

Uhm.... do you realize how many retired people have to work at Walmart to subsidize there social security benefits?

Do you expect grandma to go learn how to code perl and manage email serverss? Or do you expect Grandma to be entrepreneurial and start some businesses selling chockeys?

I think grandma deserves protection from big business how about you?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

That doesnt even make SENSE.

If Americans all worked in better jobs than walmart, wouldnt that just give the illegals MORE jobs?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Uhm.... do you realize how many retired people have to work at Walmart to subsidize there social security benefits?

Do you expect grandma to go learn how to code perl and manage email serverss? Or do you expect Grandma to be entrepreneurial and start some businesses selling chockeys?

I think grandma deserves protection from big business how about you?

Grandma is is not stocking the shelves or there would be lawsuits. Are you suggesting the whole chain is empoying nothing but retired people? If they are retired and need to work to get by then they probably rested on their laurels and worked in a low skill low wage job all their lives without the gumption to better themselves. No pity here.

Originally posted by MockedUnicorn

That doesnt even make SENSE.

If Americans all worked in better jobs than walmart, wouldnt that just give the illegals MORE jobs?

There are those that work there because they have no skills and there are those that work there because the benefits are better than their skilled jobs. Then there are those that work there because they didn't plan for the future and have to work after retirement as the other guy devicively pointed out.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by SectionEight]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

no, they do not employ only retired people. they employ people who may lack the skills needed to seek out a tech job. they employ people who may not have the memory needed to study medical texts and be nurses. People with different abilities.

I bet they also employe people who are capable, but desire to stay out of cubicle america, or are just happy to "get by" and enjoy a sense of freedom from it.

then there are those who live in smaller towns, and take the opportunity to become vested in a retirement plan with a huge corporation that happens to operate in their town. maybe the mom who couldn't get an education while supporting a family after dad left town with some floozie (i know a few of these folks, myself).

You are too judgemental. Your statements are a display of a lack of understanding of people, and a narrow minded and callous view of life in america.

Besides, who is going to stock the shelves so you can buy your IPod at wal mart?

[edit on 21-8-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

They already get paid vacations, bonuses sick leave, medical and IRA's

WalMart gives them none of these things. It does, however, encourage its employees to apply for medicaid, a government program. That allows them to get away with no medical insurance, and makes the taxpayer carry the cost.

And actually it takes a lot of skills to work successfully at a retail job: customer relations, advertising, full knowledge of the store's entire inventory, computer skills, and people skills of every kind, to name a few.

WalMart is justifiably afraid of the unions. If retail workers unionized they might actually make a living wage.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Good point Sestias. Star for you.

While few will always decry people who try to unionize under the banner that it would cost the business more and therefore coming to the conclusion that it would hurt the economy. I am not sure how that is the problem of the people that are just trying to make their lives a little better by getting themselves things like healthcare, PAID overtime (remember that one? Where the were locked in the stores after hours and made to work "free" overtime...), and maybe a livable minimum wage. Seems Wal-mart is more interested in doing business the way they always have, shady. There is one thing that unions WILL do for these people though.....give them a voice.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

They already get paid vacations, bonuses sick leave, medical and IRA's

WalMart gives them none of these things. It does, however, encourage its employees to apply for medicaid, a government program. That allows them to get away with no medical insurance, and makes the taxpayer carry the cost.

I work at Wal-Mart. I'm on paid vacation right now. I think next month or the month after is my next bonus check, which for my store is expected to be around $400 for the last 3 months alone. We get bonus checks every 3 months, which max out at $450 per check - but if the bonus is the full 450, we get an extra $150 even if the amount otherwise would have been less than that. I have 192 sick hours racked up, which now roll over into personal time, which I have 57 hours of. I don't have health insurance, only because I have turned it down every year. However I do have dental coverage, which costs me three dollars per paycheck. I haven't looked into anything retirement-related, because I don't plan on staying with the company long enough for it to matter.

The benefits aren't great in comparison to other companies, but the job isn't hard (although it DOES require the skills you listed, regardless of what anyone else says) compared to most of those companies, either.

WalMart is justifiably afraid of the unions. If retail workers unionized they might actually make a living wage.

Now that is something they don't offer to anyone but salaried managers. If they did offer it, they would have to actually hire people who have the skills you mentioned instead of hiring anyone who applies. Their current hiring process is basically like throwing pizzas at the ceiling and seeing which ones stick. The resulting job turnover means money that could be going to dedicated employees is instead going to hiring and training newcomers, and the resulting lousy sales team means money that could be going into our bonus checks and boosting our stock value is instead leaving with the customers and going to other stores.

I have no comments (here) on their non-HR related business practices. *cough*

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
There is an already existing thread on this topic here.

Please contribute any further comments and/or questions to the above linked thread.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

new topics

top topics

join