It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Political Forum Coming Soon: The ATS Bully Pulpit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
great idea, i may not be to active there but i would love to be able to contribute at some time, so sign me up.

"I, ___sheila947__________, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'" Acceptance of this pledge affords a member with the ability to post in the Bully Pulpit Forum... where only few can post, but all can read.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It stems from Lockheed Martin's skunk works. Skunk Works was the top secret division responsible for the F-117, SR-71 Blackbird, and many of our other high tech military toys. "Kelly" Johnson started it with LM's top minds to have a place where anything was possible. It was so secret that even their coffee mugs, which featured a skunk's tail peeking out from behind the LM logo, were classified.

For more I'd suggest reading Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years of Lockheed by Ben R. Rich (Johnson's sucessor).

Sorry again for the off topic post. [/off topic]

[edit on 8/21/08 by redmage]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

The pledge states, "I will support my statements with confirmed facts." That pretty much takes care of one-source blogger opinions. At least that's how I interpret it.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

As have I.

Which really narrows down the field of what can be used as a source. I'd imagine there are those of us who would refute reports from even the biggest news outlets.

Either way, this should be a good area for some civil discourse without the constant nagging and bickering from passerbys.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This is another great addition to the boards. I personally am glad to see this site grow and change as it does. My personal political views are rather in the middle of the road, but it should be interesting to see both sides of real genuine concerns.

Thanks again for making ATS the best site on the internet

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Last thing, I promise.
Take this thread for example.
The OP doesn't but could argue that this is a valid political issue. Who's to say what's in his heart? And though I disagree with nyk537 on the topic itself, I do concede to him in my posts that he has a right to think this issue valid.
nyk537 has already taken this pledge. So where does his thread belong?
I don't know, we're going to need a trial month just to identify the baseline, with the fear of god we don't cross this line while doing it . By then the election are almost over.

Not for nothing but has anybody here given some thought to sweet and kind weedwhacker? He's going to sign this you know. I for sure don't want him to lose his points. He's so harmless and tries to please everyone with his humor. He has to be given some kind of exemption.

I guess I don't get it. We're trying to discourage hate filled divisive threads and deny ignorance. Not let ignorance flow, we'll be in our VIP room if anyone calls. How does that improve anything?
I'm done. Pending edits.

[edit on 8/21/2008 by schrodingers dog]

[edit on 8/21/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yes, but that thread would not have been created in said new forum.

I do contend that this is topic for discussion. I never said it should be a political issue though, only that it had a right to be discussed.

Don't worry about things like that creeping in from me. That's an ATS only thread.

JSR

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I can not in good conscience sign anything. it goes against my gut feeling. oh sure, I signed the T&C, but that is just a list of website rules.

this is a pledge to be apart of a group within a group. a cut above the rest. more intellectual the the others.

most of the time I can agree with what your doing S.O. but on this one, I am left wondering.

I understand the current state of political bickering in the politics threads and forums. but, how will this solve that? you have just create another forum to go to. leaving the one in question to thrash it out, problem still exist.

sorry, I cant sign anything.
and, I felt my disslike of this new addition was important enough to post.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Thank you for the new forum, there must be a lot of extra work for the team and I'm glad that ATS went for this instead of going the easy route and scrapping a bunch of forums.

I, Multiple Junkie, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.

MJ

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is a fine ideas. Let the grown-ups [and you mature youngters too!] kick the ball around for awhile...

"I, ItsTheQuestion, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'"

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Excellent, ATS isn't a place where I post prolifically. I enjoy reading other peoples contributions. ATS is a place of research for me, a place I come to find out the real substance behind the real issues of the world. Because of ATS, I'm pretty much up to date with what's going on in the world. Sometimes, I'm not sure, if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

This new forum will only enhance the quality of debate. Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of banter, but having a specified forum with a zero tolerance can't be a bad thing in my opinion.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
count me in! ...this sounds promising

"I, adrenochrome, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'"

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
A political forum without trolls? I'd love to participate.

I, Frankidealist35, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
"I, Cuhail, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'"

I'll sign anything!

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I, Open_Minded Skeptic, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignorance.'

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
And how...

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by burdman30ott6

The pledge states, "I will support my statements with confirmed facts." That pretty much takes care of one-source blogger opinions. At least that's how I interpret it.

You are correct... Sourcing some bitter basement dwelling hack who has a blog of bile and battery acid isn't going to cut it in the Bully Pulpit... I think the best contributions within this forum will be member centric analysis devoid of the partisan rhetoric.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Me too.

"I, __Sestias___________, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'" Acceptance of this pledge affords a member with the ability to post in the Bully Pulpit Forum... where only few can post, but all can read.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

In that case I'll have to pass. One thing I've learned as a member here is that there's always a contradictory source for political information and even with the best intentions you can never guarantee the accuracy of information. All political parties have experts to spin the facts, we're just the dumb suckers that parrot them.

Agreed! There is a reason why, when writing a college level research paper, professors look down upon internet sources in favor of good old library work. Very few internet sites truly meet the required criteria.

To SkepticOverloard:

I fully respect your effort to attempt to make ATS a better place but the penalties for simply making an honest mistake are really going overboard considering the point I made above.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I avoid posting on any political forum because of useless attacks, and very rarely ever focusing on the topic at hand, so I welcome this idea, and will make the pledge.

I, damntheptb ,an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'" Acceptance of this pledge affords a member with the ability to post in the Bully Pulpit Forum... where only few can post, but all can read.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Those who wish to participate in the forum will post a public acceptance of this pledge: "I, _____________, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'"

I would love to participate

"I, Andrew E. Wiggin, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignorance.'

also as a side note, I, Andrew E. Wiggin, will fix S.O's spelling mistake on the very last word in that passage: "ignorance"

[edit on 8/21/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join