It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web Browser to get 'Privacy Mode'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Web Browser to get 'Privacy Mode'

news.bbc.co.uk

Microsoft is planning a "privacy mode" for the next release of its Internet Explorer (IE) web browser.

By clicking a button, users of IE8 will be able to limit how much information is recorded about where they go online and what they do.
Microsoft watchers have spotted two patent applications covering ways to manage the amount of information a browser logs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Seems like Microsoft is threatening to join the 21st century. On the other hand, would you entrust your privacy to MS, going on their security record to date?

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Lol, from the looks of it, the new privacy option will make it run exactly as it is right now, and with it off it will record EVERYTHING.

This is just a cheap shot trick to make you think you're more secure.

Here you go MS, I wrote the explanation for ya.

Privacy on : The browser will do everything your current version of internet explorer does, exactly the same way.

Privacy off : The browser will record everything you do.

Privacy button is default off when internet explorer starts.

lol.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought

Seems like Microsoft is threatening to join the 21st century. On the other hand, would you entrust your privacy to MS, going on their security record to date?

news.bbc.co.uk

Makes me all the happier to note that I use Firefox.

I doubt Microsoft cares about our privacy.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
A little trick with Firefox:

Click Start/Run, then type "firefox -profilemanager". This will open a little dialog box where you can create a new browsing profile.

Then, create a shortcut to firefox, and edit it to run "firefox -P [profilename]". This will start that profile you created.

You can create a 'safe' profile, with flash disabled, java disabled, no cookies accepted, no recording of site visit history, etc., by starting the profile and editing the settings under "Edit / Preferences". You can install different sets of plug-ins (eg, Ad block) for different profiles.

This is useful for more safely browsing random web sites, that you might want to randomly drop cookies on your machine, etc.

Agree with the previous posters: if you're at all concerned about privacy, security, or robustness, avoid Microsoft products.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Errr, no thanks, I'm quite happy with Firefox and Safari.

You couldn't friggin pay me to go back to IE.

reply to post by Ian McLean

Ah, thanks for the helpful info Ian

[edit on 21-8-2008 by ben420]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Reply to ben420

No worries mate. I haven't been an IE man for donkeys' years.

Any software company that has to provide an endless stream of 'security updates' rather than create a secure product in the first place isn't worth its salt. Some people seem to think the 'updates' service shows a commitment to security. In fact it simply exposes the degree of incompetence of the world's largest software company.

...Which all goes to prove they didn't get where they are today by doing things better than others. (Did I hear someone say anti-competitive practices?)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Wow, what's even sadder is that someone at the BBC considered this to be news.

Either that, or the people watching the patents - and how and earth can Microsoft patent such a thing anyway???

Safari had that feature since version 2 I think, way back in 2005.

I don't think I've even used IE since... Well, a very very long time

new topics

top topics

join