It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Hacker Uncovers Proof Chinese Gymnast Is Underage

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
lol. Seriously, if she can compete against people who have had more training than her over the years... let her keep the medal.
Just make sure it doesn't happen again, we don't need parents forcing their 8 year old into it for fame.

This is what I thought at first as well. However, it then means that every other country that decided to follow the rules kept out their more flexible and less 'exposed' to failure kids. You see, it's a two way street. The U.S. has a nice group of kids between 14 and just under 16 that would have done very well in the olypics but were kept home for 2012. Why? Because it's the rules.

Why are the rules in place? Because these young kids (girls in particular) are at their most important developmental stages between 14 and 16. (Thus why they are more flexible) Most girls stop developing at 16. The high end tricks that these girls pull off are the cause of some very serious injuries. Injuries, that in a developing child, could cause very serious and permanent damage for the rest of their lives. Thus the age was raised first to 15 and then to 16 in 1997.

Many teams have been caught lying about the ages of their girls including the Chinese team in the Athen games of 2000.

Cheating is cheating. If the competition is not completed on an even playing field then it is NOT fair to the other competitors that participated.

Also, there is data showing that the age of the girls being reported as 10 through 13 as late as 2007. What I mean is, for the three to four years leading up to 2007 they were reported as being 10 in 2004, 11.....and so on.

Then all of a sudden they are 16. Sorry. Cheating is cheating. No matter how badly the host nation wants to do it is still cheating.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc

but why is it ok for there to be a rule for 14 year old males who perform gymnastic manoeuvres on the diving board to be allowed but not 14 year old female gymnasts? 14 years old is 14 years old regardless of the sport. all the games should have the same minimum age limit (which should be 16 in imho).

Originally posted by Sheeper

why is nobody making a fuss about the uk diving wonderkid tom daley? he is only fourteen! born in may 1994 so not even sixteen in the olympic year. why is it ok for him to compete?

[edit on 22-8-2008 by justyc]

The rules are different for that sport. The main reason this is imposed with gymnasts is because such extreme body devolopment will cause bones to stunt. Swimming is different in body development. But that point is all moot anyway when you consider that a rule that is being followed by one team will put them at a disadvantage if another team does cheat.

Am I on your ignore button or something, how can you ask that question when I had given you the reason IN THE POST RIGHT ABOVE! Some people are dense.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_

why is nobody making a fuss about the uk diving wonderkid tom daley? he is only fourteen! born in may 1994 so not even sixteen in the olympic year. why is it ok for him to compete?

[edit on 22-8-2008 by justyc]

Yeah.. He should not have been allowed to compete either.

OH my god!!!! YOu people are so dense it's not even funny. Their are different rules between diving and gymnastics.....for very obvious reason. PAY ATTENTION!!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheeper

But what about Tom Daley? He is only 14 and the rules state they have to be 16 to participate in gymnastics! Sheesh, I wish you would read.....wait, I take that back.

hehe

I hear you my friend. Many times I post something that should answer the question sufficiently and then the same question gets posted later on two or three times.

There is a very legitimate REASON for banning gymnasts under the age of 16 from this level of competition. Because the stunts are more dangerous and the injuries could permanently damage their growing bodies and cause deformations or a lifetime of pain. This just isn't the same kind of stress as one experiences in the water. Sorry people. As sheeper and many others have pointed out. It's a COMPLETELY different type of event.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
lol. Seriously, if she can compete against people who have had more training than her over the years... let her keep the medal.
Just make sure it doesn't happen again, we don't need parents forcing their 8 year old into it for fame.

Excuse me for not reading the whole thread, just wanted to touch on this point. It is actually easier for her to win those metals being younger.
Thats why. Height has a lot to do with gymnastics. As a gymnast grows
they will lose their ability to preform it perfectly and start stumbling etc...

It was a big big thing with Domonique Moceanu. Which was my favorite female gymnast of all times. I only watch the girls gymnastics. All ive ever been interested in. I also watch every competition I can get my hands on.
Just wanted you to see why people are complaining, I understand your point. If it did not contribute to her winning it would be fine, but in this case it severely does.

They will most likely strip her of her metal although they ask them to mail them back LOL! So she might just keep it. China definately needs to be banned from atleast one game thats striaght up turning a blind eye to cheating. They need to fix the metals now due to cheating.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
Produce the birth certificate and squelch the controversy. Simple as that.

They have.

They also produced her passport and her OLD passport issued 5 years ago. Her residence card and her ID card as well all dating back a couple of years

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

China should be banned from at least the next Olympic Games in 2010 and 2012.

The Olympic games are held every 4 years not 2 !!!!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I don't understand how this has even turned into a debate. It's simple, if any of the female gymnists were underage then they shoud lose any medals that they won.

The age rules in gymnastics are there for a very good reason, and the rules have to be followed. So yes if they broke the rules, then they must lose their medals and the medals must be given to the true winners.

Also if China lied about the girls ages then they must be banned from the olympics for at least one season.

For all the people that say, oh don't take the medal away from her, its not fair to her bacause she earned it. If she is only 14 then she did not earn it fairly, she won it through a great advantage that she had over all the other gymnasts that folowed the rules. And what about being fair to the gymnasts that folowed the rules ? Is it fair to them to lose medals that they would have won had China not cheated ?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by chinawhite

The investigation is NOT over...where are u getting you info from?..and Liukin did have a better routine..you should go look at the video again!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage

Report: Hacker Uncovers Proof Chinese Gymnast Is Underage

www.foxnews.com

A determined U.S. computer expert has delved into cached pages on the Internet to unearth Chinese official documents showing a gymnast who took gold in the uneven bars competition, edging the U.S.'s Nastia Liukin, may indeed be underage.

Controversy over whether He Kexin is under the minimum age of 16 has surrounded her participation in the Beijing Olympics. The latest challenge over the age of the tiny Olympian comes from the discovery through a cyberspace maze of Chinese official documents listing her date of birth.

Can't you determine someones age by looking at their DNA?
DNA tells us everything?

[edit on 21-8-2008 by LiquidMirage]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Do you have anything to add to this conversation other than posting those faces? What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
It is actually easier for her to win those metals being younger.
Thats why. Height has a lot to do with gymnastics. As a gymnast grows
they will lose their ability to preform it perfectly and start stumbling etc...

It was a big big thing with Domonique Moceanu.

People forget that Nadia Comaneci - probably the best balance beam gymnast ever - had difficulties after she began to develop. I believe her Olympics was prior to the age restrictions.

Bela Karoly - who has been out spoken about the Chinese Gymnast's ages - - and I trust his judgment - he's probably witnessed more gymnasts then anyone - - is against the age restriction.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goradd
The investigation is NOT over...where are u getting you info from?

The article below

All the Americans got were two inconsistant reports stating 13 and 14 years old while China provided a passport, a OLD passport issued 5 years prior when she wasn't even a star, birth certificate, residency card and HUNDREDS of documents ON PAPER stating her age as 16 years old. The Americans on the other land went to do a google search and came up with two inconsistant ages

IOC: Despite questions, no proof China cheated

BEIJING - Despite persistent questions about the ages of several members of the Chinese women's gymnastics team that won the gold medal, the International Olympic Committee said Friday there is still no proof anyone cheated and believes the controversy will be "put to rest."

The IOC asked the International Gymnastics Federation to investigate "what have been a number of questions and apparent discrepancies," spokeswoman Giselle Davies said. But all of the information the Chinese gymnastics federation has presented so far supports its insistence that its athletes were old enough to compete.

"We believe the matter will be put to rest and there's no question ... on the eligibility," Davies said. "The information we have received seems satisfactory in terms of the correct documentation — including birth certificates."

Chinese coach Lu Shanzhen told The Associated Press they gave the FIG new documents on Thursday to try to remove any doubts about He's age, including an old passport, residency card and her current ID card.

Lu said all the documents were issued by various departments of the Chinese government, and that he had nothing more to put forth as evidence.

"If these valid documents are not enough to clarify this problem, then what will you believe?" an indignant Lu said.

news.yahoo.com...

A old passport issued 5 years ago when He wasn't even dreaming of going to the olympics and hardly planning to go there underage. She was a unknown at that point so why go through all that trouble to change a unkown child's age so she can compete at Beijing. She was not even a particulary gifted gymnast at that point and didn't even win any world titles for her event which blows even more doubt as to whether China would go to all that trouble to issue passport when she was barely even able to lift herself up let alone do all those routines. And the fact that EVERYTHING on paper and NOT on the internet says she is 16 while the Americans only hawk back to some misguided internet page. People are proclaimed dead on internet pages, people who died ages ago still are listed on some internet files as being alive.

How is the Americans proof that she is underage. One report states she is 14, a Chinese offical said she was 13 and the HUNDREDS of other documents state she is 16. None of that smoking barrel stuff people thought that was going to occur

..and Liukin did have a better routine..you should go look at the video again!

No she didn't. She even admitted she made mistakes. Her legs was flopping everywhere and the only thing she did right was her landing but apart from that didn't make up for all the other mistakes she made

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
More edvidence to disprove a few google searchs the sour Americans provided. A 2003 documenty about the future of Chinese gymnast.

With the Chinese winning the gold medal the Americans being sore losers as they are claimed that the Chinese athletes were underage and thus "cheating", as this documentry from 2003 proves, they are the correct age and trained in their correct age division. The funny thing is, a few small mis-reportings somehow overruled the fact that they had so much MORE REGISTERED ages in PREVIOUS competitions and yet the US media tried to point at some incorrect records to somehow make a point

With respect to the cases of Deng Lingling and Jiang Yuyuan, there is a 2003 documentary film about how China was preparing for the 2008 Olympics. This 89 minute documentary even includes the then unknown hurdler named Liu Xiang. In 2003, China was already screening young girls for the 2008 Olympics, and the group included Jiang Yuyuan and Deng Lingling (but not He Kexin). While birth certificates, passports and newspaper reports can be faked, it is unlikely that this documentary was faked back then because the Chinese sports authorities were just guessing who among the large group will emerge as eventual Olympians five years down the road.

Quote " This is for girl athletes who will be at the right age in 2008"

Still looks the same even when she is 16. This was when she was 12

Quote " Deng Lingling is the child who loves to cry"

www.zonaeuropa.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It's a shame if this all turns out to be true. The chinese gymnast will grow up in shame and if she does ever return to the Olympics, that's all the news will talk about.

That being said. screw them for cheating. I think the information will come out and they will deny everything. Since China is a locked society, they will produce documents showing that she was of age and we will never know for sure. Too bad.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage
reply to post by Badge01

She was asked her age in an earlier interview. First she paused and then stated that she is 16. So again, if this new evidence turns out to be true then she lied knowing that she was breaking rules. Even kids have the responsibility to be honest and not cheat; not just adults. Taking the medals from her will be appropriate.

Your 14, taken from your parents, and controlled by the government. Of course she will lie... if she doesn't she will never see her parents! No, its not her fault no matter what she said. The blame and fault lie with the Chinese.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
All logic suggest that China has more proof. China provided a passport, a OLD passport issued 5 years prior when she wasn't even a star let alone given the all clear by a sinister commie bastard to go to the olympics underage, birth certificate, residency card and HUNDREDS of documents ON PAPER stating her age as 16 years old.

There was even a documenty made in 2003 about up and coming gymnast for the Beijing games when they were knowns out of a field of hundreds or even thousands of athletes training for Beijing.

But if people want to hear something they want to hear then they'll believe anything. A old internet page for instance. Birthdays, deaths and marriages are wrong on most computer databases so I dont see how this is close to anything resembling proof

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Far out!!! Why do you Americans always choose to ignore facts that work against your accusations? It's like, you choose to filter out most of the information provided and only choose to believe what you wanted to believe in. Do I have to bring up Iraq to proof a point?

Also... what's with the hate emails sent to the Aussie judge? Oh she's not an American so she must be bias towards Americans? Learn this simple fact my American friends, not everyone has to give in to your demands and not everyone has to side with you.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Case in point

Helen Colagiuri, the australian judge is listed as being born on Janurary 1 1900 by NBC when she is CLEARLY not 108 years old. Another example of why these type of documents and list and not trust worthly

www.nbcolympics.com...=72842/bio/index.html

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
Case in point

Helen Colagiuri, the australian judge is listed as being born on Janurary 1 1900 by NBC when she is CLEARLY not 108 years old. Another example of why these type of documents and list and not trust worthly

Not Case in Point.

It is very common for adult women to do this. To list their age at some ridiculous number. Business is still a sexist world - - its tough enough to play on an equal field with men - - without age discrimination too.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join