It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Hacker Uncovers Proof Chinese Gymnast Is Underage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRooster
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Not a fair assessment? I respectfully disagree with you. The Chinese team captain (an 18 year old I think) lands her vault on her knees and kicks Alicia Sacramone out of medal contention? What a joke! Add to that entering an athlete below the minimum age requirement established for all teams. Hardly a level playing field.

[edit on 8/21/2008 by TheRooster]

I totally agree with you. I think the judging was insanely skewed in favor of the home team, as you can see where I jumped in here. That's a different subject completely. Don't think that I'm trying to sway you in sly debate, I'm just stating what I believe. If you're 14 and you're the best at what you do, that's incredible and more power to you. It must be ridiculous the kind of maturity you would need to train that hard and to maintain that focus and composure at 14 years old on a national stage, absolutely awesome. At 14 I was skateboarding and getting to second base with girls. Their commitment is stronger to that sport than I've ever been to anything in my life. For such a young girl, I think it's incredible and I commend her for the amazing job she's done. You think it's outrageous, I think it should be applauded. That's where this disagreement ends.

The willingness to win means nothing without the willingness to prapare.

And that's the coolest line I've heard in a long time.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Not sure where to put this, as there are a couple of threads on this topic....but here is an update about the IOC:

sports.yahoo.com...,102564

Thursday, Aug 21, 2008 4:42 pm EDT

IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age
By Chris Chase

The International Olympic Committee has ordered an investigation into the age of Chinese gymnast He Kexin, The Times of London reports. Faced with almost insurmountable evidence which suggests that He is two years younger than the birth date listed on her Chinese passport, the IOC has launched an inquiry that could result in the stripping of He's gold medals.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I can't believe the pure moronic words coming from some peoples minds on here.

Regardless of age, she/he should be allowed to do what she/he does best.
If they luckily managed to get in, after faking their own age, and won a medal, then let them keep it!! They freakin' earned it.

I'd like to see you earn a bloody Olympic medal at such a young age.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

How can it be considered "fair and square", if it turns out they were cheating? She won, yes, but "fair and square"? Remains to be seen.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
She should have to give the medals back, and as punishment she should be forced to sign a multimillion dollar advertising deal and tour the world, demonstrating her beautiful gymnastics.

It will teach her a valuable lesson. A very valuable lesson.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Badge01, the rules should be strictly followed. Did she not edge someone else out of the gold by some "arbitrary" rule that pushed her out of the tiebreaker? If the rule states something, then that is what should be followed. If the girl is 14, then her medal should be taken away. It's not like she can't do it again in 4 years, right?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
But what they didn't tell you is that she is really a MAN!
As are some members of the US Team...
...and Michael Phelps father is a dolphin.

Well her name is Ms He. So you are likely correct !!

Thing Im wondering is the title of this thread and the articles state PROOF that China lied.

Yet

If incontrovertible evidence that Ms He is underage were to come to light,

so it's still not undeniable proof, yet everyone is calling China out for it and saying the girl should hand back her medal and all sorts of things.

*IF* the IOC finds that they lied and has the proof to act on it, THEN all of the above. But people here are acting as if one guys cached articles found on the internet are all there needs to be in order to effectively ruin this girls future in the olympics.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not like we've not seen things like this before (Chinese female swimmers who looked like body builders, etc) so I would not honestly put it beyond reason.

Just making an observation, is all..

[edit on 8/21/2008 by bloodcircle]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
BTW i hope this HACKER is going to be extradited to face 70 years in prison? after all did he not just break into Chinese Government computers?

its ok for him to break the law, but a little Girl can't keep her glory?

No? He used an online cache of chinese webpages as far as i could determine from the article.

First he tried google - no go.
Then he tried google cache - her name was removed.
Then he tried Baidu and found the documents with her name and age.

Baidu Search Engine

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage
However, the title of this thread is misleading in that light but ATS rules state the title of the article being posted is to be the title of the thread.

Is that so?

That's very interesting, as I've seen at least 2 titles edited by a MOD in the past, one because it contained a censored swear word as it appeared in the original article (logic used was it was a form of swear filter evasion) and another where the title of the article was "Chinese still flay animals alive" and was changed to "Some chinese still flay animals alive" with a "warning, graphic content" added.

Hmm. So given that I would say a precident has been set that the rule in question there, is not enforced?!

[edit on 8/21/2008 by bloodcircle]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightmare_david

The opening ceremony featured some CGI fireworks. Nothing to really complain about, but it was really obvious to me when I was watching that.

The girl who was singing wasn't the actual singer. She was chosen because she was "prettier". That's just pathetic and a complete insult to the actual singer. If that was never found out, that little girl would be sitting at home doing nothing while the "prettier" girl would be soaking up all the glory for doing nothing but lip synching.

China has been lying and cheating any chance they get and it's all being ignored by the IOC.

Well, in my opinion the CGI fireworks and the miming have nothing to do with the IOC in terms of athletes or teams cheating.

I would think that the CGI fireworks and the singing were a part of the Presentation of the display for the opening ceremony. All that counts there is how well it is pulled off to those in charge. The whole world was watching.

I would consider it similar to a movie production team trying to make a movie look as good as they could.

Look at the movie 300, for instance. All the blokes had CGI Abs done post production.

Look at the movie King Arthur. Kiera Knightly's breasts were made to look larger in the US version of the Poster. (That is a crime btw, she is perfect IMO)

It's got little to do with how the actors act in the movie, just appearance post production.

Much like airbrushing a model for a magazine shoot doesn't affect the articles of interest in the magazine, nor does it negate the magazines overall reputation - if it has one to start with, lol.

Sure faking the fireworks is scammy and arrogant, and having the little girl who did the singing replaced due to her looks is an absolute insult... but neither should have any baring on the athletes. They should be considered on their own merits or lack of.

If it does turn out that they lied about her age, then as it is a rule, bring the hammer down. No questions asked.

And Im still not sure that the evidence here is proof undeniable. Definitely cause for investigation, but the posse here has already got the rope and mounted up!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

Hot topic at the moment... apparently has these hackers fearing for their lives. I found it truly amazing this guy was able to get that data from google and baidu
and expose that lie.

You know everyone feels bad for the athlete in this whole thing, however everyone has to play by the same rules. For me, its no different than say.. doping. You break the rules, you risk being disqualified.

I am willing to bet the IOC does nothing... however this whole event is being documented on Wikipedia so there is no way they can sidestep the issue. Will China fess up? or cover up. Me thinks they need to held accountable.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by mapsurfer_]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
reply to post by TheRooster

... If you're the best at in the world at something at 14, fine with me. ...

So it's okay to cheat? I mean where do ya draw the line? All athletes have to play by the same rules. Would doping for example be fine with you?

Nothing against her being great at 14.. she is still great and now famous regardless of the outcome of the IOC investigation. However you have to view it like this... A 14yr old drives a car, they run the risk of being busted by the cops. No difference here. A violation of the rules.

They let this slid would be sending a message the rest of the world that it is Okay to break the rules and sets a precedent for current and future protest.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
reply to post by LiquidMirage

You know everyone feels bad for the athlete in this whole thing, however everyone has to play by the same rules. For me, its no different than say.. doping. You break the rules, you risk being disqualified.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by mapsurfer_]

I don't feel sorry for her one bit. She herself lied during an interview. She is old enough to know right from wrong. Rule are rules and if she is caught it will be a good lesson for her at an early age.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

But they broke the rules. Last night we saw an American 200m sprinter get DQ'd for stepping on the line, while an Antilles sprinter got away with it when he did it at the exact same time. .

Churandy MARTINA - the Antilles sprinter was also DQ'd

Moving Walter Dix up to win a Bronze for USA.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
This article is 7minutes old so its the latest news

A old passport issued 5 years ago when He wasn't even dreaming of going to the olympics and hardly planning to go there underage. She was a unknown at that point so why go through all that trouble to change a unkown child's age so she can compete at Beijing. She was not even a particulary gifted gymnast at that point and didn't even win any world titles for her event which blows even more doubt as to whether China would go to all that trouble to issue passport when she was barely even able to lift herself up let alone do all those routines. And the fact that EVERYTHING on paper and NOT on the internet says she is 16 while the Americans only hawk back to some misguided internet page. People are proclaimed dead on internet pages, people who died ages ago still are listed on some internet files as being alive.

IOC: Despite questions, no proof China cheated

BEIJING - Despite persistent questions about the ages of several members of the Chinese women's gymnastics team that won the gold medal, the International Olympic Committee said Friday there is still no proof anyone cheated and believes the controversy will be "put to rest."

The IOC asked the International Gymnastics Federation to investigate "what have been a number of questions and apparent discrepancies," spokeswoman Giselle Davies said. But all of the information the Chinese gymnastics federation has presented so far supports its insistence that its athletes were old enough to compete.

"We believe the matter will be put to rest and there's no question ... on the eligibility," Davies said. "The information we have received seems satisfactory in terms of the correct documentation — including birth certificates."

Chinese coach Lu Shanzhen told The Associated Press they gave the FIG new documents on Thursday to try to remove any doubts about He's age, including an old passport, residency card and her current ID card.

Lu said all the documents were issued by various departments of the Chinese government, and that he had nothing more to put forth as evidence.

"If these valid documents are not enough to clarify this problem, then what will you believe?" an indignant Lu said.

news.yahoo.com...

How is the Americans proof that she is underage. One report states she is 14, a Chinese offical said she was 13 and the HUNDREDS of other documents state she is 16. None of that smoking barrel stuff people thought that was going to occur

[edit on 22-8-2008 by chinawhite]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
you newbs do realize that accessing search engine caches isnt hacking right?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
As usual.... another case of sour grapes.

Typical American mentality, if I can't win it nobody can. If someone else wins it, he/she must be cheating. The chinese have provided evidence but yet Americans are still crying foul. How ironic, the Americans are asking for evidence in this investigation but where's the evidence to justify the Iraq invasion? Oh I forgot, there won't be any evidence as there's none to present.

How dare you question the Americans for invading Iraq???? BUT we must question the Chinese eventhough they have presented their evidence. NONO... the evidence is only legit when the Americans say they are and we must ignore any evidence against their accusation.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Persistent questions about Chinese, but no proof

BEIJING (AP)—Despite persistent questions about the ages of several members of the Chinese women’s gymnastics team that won the gold medal, the International Olympic Committee said Friday there is still no proof anyone cheated and believes the controversy will be “put to rest.”

China has again given the governing body of gymnastics documents that show its athletes are eligible, and coach Lu Shanzhen said the girls’ families are “indignant” that the issue won’t go away.

Lu said the Chinese gave the FIG documents Thursday evening that included the current and former passport, ID card and family residence permit for double gold medalist He Kexin. Lu said the documents all say she was born in 1992, which makes her eligible to compete. Gymnasts must turn 16 at some point during the Olympic year in order to be eligible.

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/gymnastics/news;_ylt=AlMclIFJGufQHmaoiGtS3EyPaJh4?slug=ap-gym-underagechinese&prov=ap&type=lgns]Link[/ur l]

[edit on 22-8-2008 by chinawhite]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Let her keep her gold. She proved that she was the best out there and that's all there is to it. Don't hurt the athlete who worked so hard and was most likely doing what she was told.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sirmojo

IF you saw the competition of the Uneven Bars you would know that Nastia Liukin and the chinese girl tied with the same score but the chinese girl was given the Gold.

So this means more if she cheated by being under age. what's funny is that the chinese girl took a step on her landing and had form breaks when Nastia stuck her landing and u could tell she was better, but YET they gave her the same score as the chinese girl...and Nastia went after her as well

and just to put it out there, Nastia was given the Highest score on the Uneven Bars in the whole Olympics during the Team Final with a 16.9...so i would say its a bigger deal when BOTH gymnasts got the same score during the event Final!!!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join