It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity: Scientists identify a protein that promotes the burning of body fat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Scientists have found a protein that can promote the burning of body fat – a discovery that could lead to new ways to tackle obesity.

Mice injected with a protein called BMP7 increased their production of "good" brown fat cells, while keeping their levels of the normal white fat cells constant.

Fat is a crucial part of the body's regulation of metabolism and body temperature. There are two types of fat cell with different functions: the well-known white fat cells, which store energy and contribute to obesity, and lesser-known brown fat cells that burn calories to generate body heat.

sorce
This may or may not lead to treatment for obesity. I however do think this will lead to many new drugs that cost a heck of a lot that will make companies rich and probably do very little.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I think it's safe to say that supplementing protein into your diet will promote fat loss. Protein has a high Thermic Effect of Feeding, which means it takes more energy to digest it. This boosts your metabolism and speeds up fat loss.

Of course, certain proteins digest differently than others.

Great, more ways to confuse obese people about weight loss......

-Dev

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Why would they need to develop this into harmful drugs or medications. They could simply add it to whey powder drinks which are really good for you, and put it on the label.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Would this work for body builders and atheltics? If so expect to see a lot of toned six pack people around haha.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Mice injected with a protein called BMP7 increased their production of "good" brown fat cells, while keeping their levels of the normal white fat cells constant.

Wouldn't the goal here be reducing white fat cells? Why would you want to keep white fat cells constant?

Also, why are researchers still trying to find a solution to an obvious symptom?

Increasing the supply of brown fat might also increase fat lost, but what will the side effect be? Adults don't really need brown fat, it's mainly found in infants to prevent hypothermia.

-Dev

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Yup the market already has a large amount of health products and vitamin enhanced drinks, if they were to simply put it in with a powder form it would be awesome...

I recently been guzzling the calcium enhanced water and eating milk thistle pills, i've managed to go down 5 pounds since the last time I looked on the scale, feels great not to drink pop all the time, no more gut pains and a bit more energy. If they would put some complimentary proteins in there, that'd be mint.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Spock, why are you taking calcium supplements? Just curious.

You could just go by some high quality protein powder and supplement with that....

-Dev

top topics

join