It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the deal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Being a member for only a couple of months, I'm expectations for this site are spiraling downward into a pit of hatred. It's seems as the days pass more and more threads about utter nonsense continue to make the headlines. For example: Obama's brother found. Who cares! When I first came aboard I was overwhelmed by the amount of interesting posts on conspiracies and unexplained footage. Even the comments were intriging and the participation factor was very high. Everybody seemed to agree on things and everybody fed of eachother. As I posted recently on another thread, the only comments you tend to see now are how stupid the next guy is. Not to mention the racial nonsense that has seemed to pop up. Whats the deal? Are the mod's just letting any story to run wild because there is nothing else to talk about? I thought threads that offer absolutly no merit to the fundamentls of this site were to be quashed almost instantly. I don't get it. Threads with over 100 comments about Neo's passport expiring on 911.

Sorry for the ranting and the spelling here. Just not experiencing the same vibe I did when I first joined. And am almost at the point of leaving forever.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Quick add-on here. You know what else really burns me. Anytime I post, what I consider an interesting thread for discussion, I always seem to have alot of people view but no comments. This drives me crazy. Let's focus all our attention and comments on "Obama use 1 ply toilet paper" as opposed to something that might actually draw some good discusions.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by DazE777]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I feel precisely the same.

I felt the same way coming here. I thought there was going to be educated exchanges between like-minded individuals. I thought most folks here were going to be open and willing, but not naive. I thought I would last here, and now I think I'm going to leave too. Some stuff on this site just this isn't anything "above top secret" about it. I guess those posts compley to the "alternative news" part of the site.

Thanks for posting this, my friend, because I was going to post a similar thread.

Btw- you should probably expect a lot of agreement at the same time more stupidity on this thread.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ParaFreaky

I knew there had to be more people like me out there. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DazE777
reply to post by ParaFreaky

I knew there had to be more people like me out there. Thanks for the reply.

There are many like you/me that are concerned at some of the crap that has been posted here lately. Its not just the threads, but also some of the replies.

It wasnt always this bad, the majority of threads were well though out and had some good evidence provided and plausible rebuttals

But just remember there are still some good threads out there among some of the more extreme ones

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Don't take it so personally.Its the internet.
Don't worry about people who say bizare insulting junk.
Just laugh at them and forget about them.
Don't be bothered by persons who get emotional over the internet.
They have psych problems.
Just go and read something else and take no notice of them.
Don't get so emotional over the internet.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Unlike many, I was never a lurker here, I was compelled to join almost immediately. I have been here, as you can see, since March of this year, so I have no long-term perceptions regarding content quality except to say that it varies.

As the seasons changed an influx of members surged onto the boards, many political, mostly inexperienced in the 'environment'. Please be patient. You may find that you can control your exposure to anything you consider inane by simply not giving in to the temptation to post there.

For example, there is currently a thread entitled; "Blacks planning to exterminate the white race?". I won't visit that thread as a matter of principle. I find it title premise repugnant and thus, will not contribute to it's content. You should act similarly when confronted by what you don't like.

Personally I did visit and contribute to the Obama brother story, because I wanted to understand what made it worthy of posting. Once I found it was speculative and relevant only to those making political judgments, I departed. It's no problem for me that people want to exchange ideas on irrelevancies. Such is the way of the world. You can feel free to complain about, but it is not going to ever completely stop.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

I hear you. I just find it fustrating. The fact that stories like Obama's brother make the home page and good threads that are buried on the boards never do, pulzzes me.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thank you, for your intelligent reply. You seem to get "it". It would just make for a better site if the mod's closed threads such as you described quicker, then allowing them to carry on for so long. I realize they allow everyone to voice some kind of opinions but they do tend to take away from "good" threads.

Maybe they should come up with a voting system. As soon as you enter a thread and have had a chance to read, you have the option of voting to close the thread as you do to flag it. Hmmmmm.....I like this idea.

Hope the mod's will respond to that idea.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
So sorry you feel badly about ATS. Why not give it some time? I feel sure you will change your mind after a few more months of being an active member.

I looked at your profile. You get about as much response to your threads as I do. Yes it can be disheartening. I believe the problem is that maybe our threads are not interesting. We need to work on our creative writing.

A couple of questions for you if you please.

If and when you watch television do you watch one channel no matter what programs are on? Or do you channel surf to find something you might enjoy?

When you order food at a restaurant do you study the menu or do you just tell the waiter to pick for you?

I believe if you will be more selective in what threads you view you will be more satisfied.

Other than that I would suggest you leave and don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I'm a little confused by your comments. I do tend to go through the board quite a bit and find the most interesting threads as possible. I was mearly pointing out the amount of garbage that seems to be surfacing more often and was a bit concerned. Especially when they seem to be the most commented on. Remember that is my opinion. What I think is garbage and what you think is, based on your comment, are 2 totally differenet things. I just asked if others felt the way I do. You are the people I refer to as the "under the bus throwers".

And the answers to your questions on TV and restaruant ordering.

F and you.

End communication

join