It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colin the whale to be euthanised

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   

The plight of the whale, which Australians have nicknamed Colin, has dominated the country's news coverage since the creature was first sighted Sunday in waters off north Sydney and began trying to suckle from boats.

This is a story I have been following and hoping for a happy ending. It was looking that way for a while, but colins luck I fear is about to run out.

An Australian environmental official says a starving and abandoned baby whale that has been attempting to suckle boats in the waters off north Sydney will be euthanised.

The euthanasia would likely take place in shallow water using an overdose of anaesthetic.

Story

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
It's a shame the little (or big) fella got abandoned, but the longer they let him live the more suffering he will endure.
Euthanasia, unfortunately, is the only option now.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I couldn't agree more. I, like many, was just hoping for a better outcome. It is a pity but yo are right. It is the best thing for him, with his health failing as it is.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Hey there V,

Yeah, I just read this as well.

A shame to be sure, but as you have stated, it's for the best. The little guy is suffering.

I always find it amazing that something like a baby whale can get my emotional roller coaster going.

The article that I read said that sharks had started to attack, sensing weakness. Better to go with euthanasia than to let it be eatin by something.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
why don't they just put him in seaworld?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You know, I gotta ask.

How in the heck do you euthanize a whale?!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I read it yeah, sad story, trying to get milk from boats

But, just for the heck of it, they euthanise a baby-whale that is obviously suffering but the same thing does not count for humans if you look at it worldwide? At least when people ask for it for themselves ofcourse
Meh, sucks.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Harman]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Just looked at the news again and the whale is nowhere to be seen. It just disappeared and has not been seen. It's dark over there now and they can't find it.

Guess that nature found a way, be it the sharks or another pod of whale's took it in.

At least humans did not have to be the one's to end this creature's life, if it is indeed dead.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

From what i understand, they were going to drag it ashore and drug it to make its heart stop.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Poor little guy.

Basically the reason they didnt care for him was it was going to be too much trouble?

That annoys me. Someone would have been willing to do it. That one guy was working to make up a "bottle."

Ah well. He isnt the only infant (of any species) to die because his mother is missing or dead. It is just sad that the reasoning behind it is "it isnt worth trying."

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
i cried when i first read about it and now i'm crying like a baby to read that he was gonna be euthanized. may little Colin have peace in whale heaven. from an american animal lover

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Looks like they have found him, and are going ahead.

WILDLIFE authorities have found "Colin", the baby whale abandoned by its mother off Sydney, and are expected to put it down today.
The injured baby humpback whale was found motherless and starving in a northern Sydney waterway earlier this week.

story
But even more disturbing is

EXPERTS have warned that saving Colin the humpback whale could cost upwards of $2 million and may not even work.
As hopes begin to fade for the stranded whale, scientists claimed that there was no facility in Australia capable of housing the whale, even if it could be moved from Pittwater, where it has sought refuge since Sunday.
Experts from SeaWorld in San Diego have advised the Department of Environment and Conservation in Sydney that a 10 gigalitre pool, the size of four Olympic pools would be required to house the animal to hand rear it until it was 11 months old.

In the whole scheme of things what is $2 mill?
story

[edit on 21/8/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Sad story with a sad outcome.

But, the other whales appeared to reject it, and there was something about it being partially blind.

It's just ruthless natural selection. It's been played in the media ferociously, and now that it's clear that, no, 'Colin' (fancy naming it) will in fact not see a happy ending, the morning shows won't show the footage like they have been all week.

No Finding Nemo here, kiddies.

The poor thing should not have been allowed to have its condition get this far - when it started suckling at boats, which was days ago, it should have been euthanised then. It's just had an extraordinary amount of suffering in the mean time.

The authorities were adamant nothing could be done and they've just dragged their feet to make themselves look like something was being done.

It's perplexing - this makes international headlines and makes everyone go "'awwww", but when the Japanese come and take 1000 or so whales by exploding them from the inside out, a lot of people say "oh, it's just their culture".

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Colin was euthanised 8:40 am Sydney time .. Rest In Peace little fella

www.news.com.au...

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Slaine01]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Poor little guy.

Basically the reason they didnt care for him was it was going to be too much trouble?

That annoys me. Someone would have been willing to do it. That one guy was working to make up a "bottle."

Ah well. He isnt the only infant (of any species) to die because his mother is missing or dead. It is just sad that the reasoning behind it is "it isnt worth trying."

thought i read somewhere that there was no real idea what exactly whale milk was composed of and thus had no clue what to feed it and how to feed it. sad story indeed, but on a lighter note at least the humpback whales are making a come back aside from this little misstep.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Ahhh my heart is broken. I am sleepy with depression. What a horrible way to go, I sometimes hate humans. They bottle feed babies in Sea World all the time, what the...

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Who names a whale Colin?
.... bopper would be more appropriate.

Ahh, the RSPCa... I love them, only hours after we gave the little fella a lethal injection.. we found his mother.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Yes, but the mother was found dead and the NSW south coast about 1000km away. That being the case, Colin (Or coleen since they found out she was female) would not have survived for long anyway.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Serious, my mistake.
All I saw was
'' colins mum found ''

I didnt realise she was dead,

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I saw and thought the same thing at first....
It would have been a terrible irony.

top topics

join