It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is pedophilia a sexuality?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
So my theory may not be exactly popular, but I think it should be given some credence.

The reason for making this thread is the result of a moral argument I had with myself after reading about a man who begged for castration because he was certain that he would break down mentally at some point and molest a child. He was not granted this proactive measure, but why not?

Sexual acts involving an adult and a child are despicable. Taking the innocence of a child, in my opinion, should result in a death suited only for the worst of people. My family was touched by this offense, and the resulting years of mental problems inflicted upon the victim showed me the life-destroying capabilities of this awful act.

However, I still believe we are too quick to label pedophiles as horrible, evil people. Now I speak for those who have not committed the offense of actually acting upon their desires. This mental disorder may be no different from being straight, gay, bi, etc. I think you would be wrong to label pedophelia as a fetish, as I cannot imagine someone being so stupid as to act upon a fetish when the consequences (both criminally and personally) can reach so far.

Imagine.. You are 30 year old straight male. You are a virgin. Most of your life has been consumed by the thought of being with a woman at this point. Is the tortured soul of a pedophile any different?

I think this is a disease that has been written off by those who should be trying to treat the victims. They are automatically presumed to be perverts and criminals, without proper assessment of the disorder.

IF treatment is offered in a pro-active manner, I can imagine these sufferers calling a number and asking for treatment before going so far as molesting a child. I don't truly believe that most pedophiles could have such apathy for a child's life that they wouldn't care about the result of their actions. They must care.

Many pedophiles beg for castration, and a few may get their wishes... But this doesn't necessarily solve the problem, as it may be more mental than sexual.

Why isn't more research being done? Do we need to wait for kids to be molested to find the predators, or can we as a society offer treatment before it happens? Is this so taboo that we refuse to accept the fact that it may be no more avoidable than autism?

So basically, instead of assuming criminal intent, why can't we feel bad for these people with this awful disease? Do we lack all compassion? I feel bad enough for what my gay friends must go through on a regular basis, let alone these people with a real sexual perversion that can hurt other people, and yet must hide in shame. I'm sure most would rather die than act on their impulses.

So what can be done? Why not nip this problem and figure out the solution, instead of relying on "to catch a predator" and the FBI to catch these people in the ACT. We could help this so much sooner.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I think you've probably got a point. It is a sexual "inclination" no matter how bad it is,that's what it boils down to. These people are sexually attracted to kids,so yeah,I guess it does make it a sexuality or sorts.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Right, I suppose it would be more of a "sub-category" of a real sexuality. But do pedophiles even find adults attractive?

I mean, I see this as a major problem, that parents aren't privy to the knowledge that they should know.

The truth may be, that we wait for the act to happen before doing anything about it. I gotta say, I find that "catch a predator" show to be exactly the type of thing I would argue. I think it has good intentions, but it is criminal intent based on a mental disorder, no?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
No.

Sexual relationships are between a man and a woman, a man and a man, or a woman and a woman.

Not in any way shape or form is an attraction to children a 'sexuality' - I'm not saying pedophiles don't need help, they certainly do, and it's worrying how society deals with this problem, but it's not a sexuality; it's an illness.

I think you mention yourself it's a disorder, and I don't think we can go so far as to call it anything else.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

I agree. It's an illness. Makes me sick to even think about it.
I am a mom of two boys and you bet if someone touched them I would kill. No doubt about it.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
and there we have a difference of opinion

um,it is a tricky one though,because a healthy sexual relationship is all about consent,and as kids are unable to give consent,does that stop it from being a sexuality? Peadophiles are attracted to kids,if it is some malfunction of the brain,does it make it a desease? And if it is a desease,does that make it treatable? (other than by a lethal injection of fire to the head)

[edit on 21/8/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

You're absolutely right. I, however, am of the open mindset that disorders are relative. I happen to be a straight white male, so I'm probably not very suited to make that call.

Disorder is a strange word.. I mean, if it comes naturally, it shouldn't necessarily be called a disorder.

Not that this is the argument at all, I am wrapping too many of my own unrelated ideas into it.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
and there we have a difference of opinion

um,it is a tricky one though,because a healthy sexual relationship is all about consent,and as kids are unable to give consent,does that stop it from being a sexuality? Peadophiles are attracted to kids,if it is some malfunction of the brain,does it make it a desease? And if it is a desease,does that make it treatable? (other than by a lethal injection of fire to the head)

[edit on 21/8/2008 by Acidtastic]

I think you are saying some of the things I am trying to find words for. This is my question.. 100%. Thank you friend.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
So with that in mind, should we now call sub/doms Gimpians and Domosexuals?
No way is it a sexuality, neither will castration serve any purpose as it doesnt halt the desire. A frontal labotomy is a far better deterrent, turns evil to pathetic!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
No.

Sexual relationships are between a man and a woman, a man and a man, or a woman and a woman.

Not in any way shape or form is an attraction to children a 'sexuality' - I'm not saying pedophiles don't need help, they certainly do, and it's worrying how society deals with this problem, but it's not a sexuality; it's an illness.

I think you mention yourself it's a disorder, and I don't think we can go so far as to call it anything else.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by mattguy404]

How is it a *disorder* it wasnt that long ago and in certain cultures it was normal...Were all these people mentally ill? just wondering....

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

If a person raps a woman or a man, what you will call this person?
You will label this person as mentally hill or incapable of sexual restrain.
Now..Pedophilia is not like you have wrote been gay, lesbian, strait or bi.
People with the tendency of the above have one think in common and this is a mutual agreement in practicing this sexual life style.
Pedophilia can not be compare to them as the main objective of the pedophile is to exercise a sexual life style with or with out the consent of the participant.
In human society, a child needs to develop to a certain potential for a greater outlook in society which as been standardized at the age of 18 in the biggest part of the world. If you breach this development of the child you automatically become the “rapist”.
Dos my explanation make since?

Kacou.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Lethil

Yeah, there was also human sacrifice and the like back in the day... They were all nuts too

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
reply to post by Lethil

Yeah, there was also human sacrifice and the like back in the day... They were all nuts too

...so now it isnt a mental disorder but in fact a shift of culture and and what that culture deems to be correct and wrong? Im just playing devils advocate..but that seems what your saying...and that it isnt some illness so to speak...or am i wrong?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Nope not sexuality just a plain and simple mental disorder... Nothing else to discuss end of topic

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

So you're saying pedophelia begins with the act??? Or does pedophelia begin with the many years of thinking about the act?

I am sure it is not the wish of most pedophiles to act upon their victims without consent, they just can never legally (or morally) get it.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrRobarto
Nope not sexuality just a plain and simple mental disorder... Nothing else to discuss end of topic

That's the typical response I was searching for, with no real thought process involved.

Yes, it may be a disorder, but what must we do about this disorder?

Not the end of topic.. Only the beginning. Please read beyond a few sentences.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Maybe the example I used was a bit extreme.

Society now certainly pays it more attention than it did in the past, even not so long ago it was generally swept under the carpet.

I don't know what has caused the modern surge in concern.

However, any society that has pedophilia as the pinnacle of its culture would soon die out.

And I can't really think of one that did.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
You open up a very interesting can of worms. I don't think too many people will want to peer inside though.

If you regard paedophilia as a sexuality, you have to show, minimally, either:

• how and why it develops, or
  • how and why it evolved.

If there is an explanation that seems to make sense, then the topic is worth discussing.

Personally, I incline to the belief that it is a disorder. Something goes wrong during gestation or childhood development and turns healthy sexuality into paedophilia.

You could cast your net wider, as serenecalamityz points out. Is BDSM a sexuality? What about transvestitism? Transsexualism? Pedophilia (which incidentally means foot fetishism, or used to, rather than paedophila)? A thing for uniforms? Chubby chasing? Mutual self-harm? Caroline Says? All sexualities? Surely not.

Quite a can of worms indeed.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Astyanax]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
If there is an explanation that seems to make sense, then the topic is worth discussing.

Quite a can of worms indeed.

Hmm, well it may never be proven as a sexuality, as I think research in even "accepted" sex is still sadly limited.

You bring up gestation, and I think your argument is just as prevalent as any. So does that affect treatment?

My main point is, if we can get these "perverts" into treatment at a young age, maybe we can help them avoid the act or even help make them sexually "normal."

Sex is such an odd aspect of human nature. Maybe we need another Kinsey to come out and blow the lid off of all of this?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

I quote you:
“I am sure it is not the wish of most pedophiles to act upon their victims without consent, they just can never legally (or morally) get it.”

This is my point, you can’t ask a child if he wants to have sex because the child as no idea what is it and what is it about. Therefore how can you have a tendency to a sexual life style which is in contradiction to personal freedom?
Freedom is not just intended to adult is also intended to children.
Pedophilia is a perverted sexual control at its roots. Knowing that pedophiles are doing something bad is, according to some survey, the hip of they sexuality. So people will say that pedophiles will stop if legalized…well they will not stop because they will still have this hip of control because the child in they eyes is innocent.
I for one believe that pedophilia has been brewed from dogmatic religion through century.
I know I will stir some disagreement because I wrote this …never mind.

Kacou.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join