It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any room for humor in ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I've heard the stupid emotionless staff on this board have their humour chips removed when they get installed...

"I can assure you ma'am. We at ATS do not have a sense of humour."

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Ah! You just have to learn how to respond to a thread with a contributing post and be humorous at the same time.

Yes, and for extra points (or lack thereof), try to write an ironic-but-on-topic response; that way you can feel clever when someone notices the irony, or angsty when it doesn't work. Win-win!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'm not sure I understand.....

You should just be able to sign in with your username and password. What's asking for your ip?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Szticks

However I agree that humor is very important in our lives, it's what makes us carry one when the going gets tough. Although what is funny for someone could be offensive to another. Especially when you are dealing with a multi-cultural site such as ATS. So while humor and light heartedness is a good thing, often it travels really bedly on the Internet. It's hard to see if someone is being funny or sincere when all you have is typed text, hence it's good to be a little careful.

Absolutely humour is key to getting thru life in my opinion!
And in regards to expressing humour or sarcasim online...eh, thats where smilies come in handy

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
reply to post by Phage

You should just be able to sign in with your username and password. What's asking for your ip?

I think he is trying to be "humor"ous

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   

reply to post by Phage

Doh! Nevermind.
Remember what I said about humor being a marker of intelligence?
I'm now not sure of my qualifications for either.

Watch this. I can see into the future: It's not you Duzey it's me.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

What can I say, I'm easily confused.

And that's why we don't have too much humour in the ATS threads - there's always one dummy that doesn't get it. It's usually me.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

reply to post by greeneyedleo

What can I say, I'm easily confused.

And that's why we don't have too much humour in the ATS threads - there's always one dummy that doesn't get it. It's usually me.

LMAO. Guess the joke is on me

He was not trying to be humorous.

Im out of here before the resident MOD cracks the whip on me.....

Oh wait. You are the resident MOD tonight. *running away fast*

[edit on 8/21/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
There was one member on here - haven't seen him around lately, that never gave a serious response. All he contributed was humour.

But anyways I agree, humour is refreshing. There was one thread I saw "Does size matter?". But much to my distress it was about UFO's, and not one response made a joke about the title, so I had to resist the temptation to answer to the 'question'.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

Well?? We're all waiting!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
No. No humour is allowed by the extremely anal moderators (or some of them). Not only are humorous replies often a rapid with insight and sarcasm but invariably they are of the one liner variety. But, our anal moderators fail to realise this and penalise and chastise those that give such replies. Exercising their petty power control, how crap is that!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I've got a great sense of humour out in the world but there aren't many topics on this site that I think are funny. Infact, a lot of them are very serious and have major implications on each and every one of us. Its just a pity a great number of other people think all of this is a big joke. The web is a vast environment and there are millions of other sites to visit for fun. For me, this just isn't one of them. Laughter is the antidote to fear. It is also a knee jerk reaction when a person cannot comfortably look at the face of truth...and this is a website looking for the truth.

Th9nker

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mlmijyd
No. No humour is allowed by the extremely anal moderators (or some of them). Not only are humorous replies often a rapid with insight and sarcasm but invariably they are of the one liner variety. But, our anal moderators fail to realise this and penalise and chastise those that give such replies. Exercising their petty power control, how crap is that!

Wow. What a beautiful response! *sarcasm*

I tend to use humour in many of my responses (as do many here) and the MODs dont seem to have issues with it. Or maybe they are just rolling their eyes at me and cutting me slack because they feel sorry for me and my failed attempts?

*shrug*

Dang it. Got sucked in again to this thread.

[edit on 8/21/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Oh sure laugh laugh laugh, but really, humor is the biggest conspiracy of them all! What is humor? An effect of the sudden penetration of cognitive dissonance! Expect 'A', get 'B', then laugh because it's funny. If you were going to hide a conspiracy (I'm not talking a piddly conspiracy, such as the size of flying saucers (we all know it's circumference that matters), but a really big conspiracy), what would be the best technique for doing so? Yes, that's right! Make it so that every insight into the truth is a form of 'humor', that can be categorized as such, and dismissed as silly.

An exegesis upon this subject is forthcoming. Be ready!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Am I getting points for this?

Oh..wait..not done...

Many theories exist about what humour is and what social function it serves. People of most ages and cultures respond to humour. The majority of people are able to be amused, to laugh or smile at something funny, and thus they are considered to have a "sense of humour".

en.wikipedia.org...

They spell humor wrong. Discredited.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

In all reality ATS and BTS are the same site. You don't have to worry about your IP address that much. As long as you aren't posting anything illegal.

BTS is your spot for spoof threads, being funny, bein weird and such. It's the place on this board you can find me and some of the funniest members and moderators. (yes amazingly enough moderators somehow are able to have a sense of humor)

Hope to see you on the flipside of ATS

Nope in the board BB&Q you do not earn points for any post. Sorry

[edit on 8/21/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I boody well hope so.Theres usually so much doomage I try to post a funny story every Friday to give people a laugh but sometimes it backfires and they think I'm being serious.I wrote a thread enetitled 'I am Satans Mam-Ask me a question as I wa s sick of daft threads so I thought I'd be evendafter-it got chucked in the trash bin.The flyin cat turd story recently I had to post cos it was so hilarious.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

If you want an early death take yourselves seriously and be grumpy and do what you have to do.

A little humor is [or should be] part of everyday dialogue to keep things light or to give a solemn thread a little break.

We have different personalities here and like it or not, people have a sense of humor and the house could be falling on you and you will say something "light" to keep everyone else together.

The fact that you have to ask if its ok, tells me it doesnt sit well with some, and to them i say get a life.

Life was meant to be enjoyed.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by dgtempe]

[edit on 21-8-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Yes, and for extra points (or lack thereof), try to write an ironic-but-on-topic response; that way you can feel clever when someone notices the irony, or angsty when it doesn't work. Win-win!

Hmm, I guess I'm angsty today then. Didn't work for me either, at least not that anyone seems to have noticed. End of Freedom?

There are times when I, also, would love to post something a squidge off topic but funny, and every now and then I do and get away with it.

However, I know what will happen if there is more leniency in regards to humor. Someone will abuse it. In no time at all we'll have even MORE worthless one-liner posts from people who are trying to be funny and aren't quite there. And what is one person's humor is sometimes another person's ridicule and humiliation.

I think the mods, generally speaking, are pretty good about this. If the "funny" post is tasteful, within the T&C, and doesn't make fun of a person in a way that could be taken as hurtful or degrading, they often leave it. I've seen a few. Of course if someone's idea of humor is to insult and ridicule posters and their posts, or turn a serious post into sexual innuendo that is inappropriate on a G-rated site, I can't blame the mods for deleting it.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hey there Phage,

I think there is always room for humour ... and it doesn't need to detract from the content of a thread IMO.

EXAMPLE (about 2mins before I saw this thread I saw this in the recent threads page);

'IS PAEDOPHILIA *sp* A SEXUALITY' ? (nothing funny about the subject ... nothing at all) but the thread was authored by 'SANTA CLAUS' ... which in spite of the awful subject is funny in a dark, ironic way ! Only on ATS.

Just my bit on the matter. Woody

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join