It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any room for humor in ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
There are a lot of times a post or a thread header catches my eye and a hilarious (to me) one-liner comeback pops into my head. Sometimes it's even a misreading of the title that triggers a jocular reposte. I know one-liners are frowned upon and I understand why, but sometimes it is so tempting to just throw it out there. Let me present an example. I just saw a thread titled Whats Your Favorite Martial Art and Why. My immediate instinct was to create a thread titled What's your Favorite Marital Aid and Why (get it?). Discretion took over and I was able to resist. This example is obviously too racy and I really never seriously considered actually creating the thread.

I know the average ATS member is above average intelligence. One of the strongest markers of intelligence is a strong sense of humor but I see a lot of posts that I consider funny that no one else seems to. Is it just me?

Undoubtedly this medium makes it very easy for intent to be misunderstood and in such a place as this tempers can run high. Humor may be misinterpreted, not appreciated, or taken as an insult. Is there any room for humor in ATS? I'm a newcomer and I'm just beginning to get the hang of this place but I'm already having a good time. Is my sense of humor out of line? Help me control myself or give me an outlet!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I know the average ATS member is above average intelligence.

Define average?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Humor in posts ok, but they get mad if you make threads. Remember its a conspiracy site.

Its a gray area
-

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Have you checked out BTS yet? That's the place to write your funny threads.

Except for that marital aid one.....

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I think your right on the money. It is often too resticted on ATS. I mean since it is really a social site and conspiracy/parnormal/parascience etc. after that, I say why not allow for one liners. After all, laughter is the best medicine, and if you can't find anything humorous in this world than Lord help you.

Also, I think maybe they should add a button to choose to allow viewing one liners, or view only long often all too boring posts/replies.

Be nice if we could also vote up all the best/funniest repllies to see what everyone thinks about them, so we wouldn't have to wade through all the really dumb rambling or long boring posts. This would also increase the traffic to ATS by huge amouints to be able to view in order the posts voted most relevant to the ATS community. Man I should be getting big bucks for this consult...don't you think?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Thanks man!

Muahahahahaha

Humor! arrr arrr

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Because this will happen:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

A true yet unrewarding response.

Those guys at BTS are trying to be funny, bot they're usually not.
Here, we try to be serious and sometimes open ourselves up to ridicule, which can be very funny. See Prophet Yahweh. lol

My advice, trick those silly mods. Say something funny, followed by some abstract reference to the OP. That usually works, or a least it did until now.

[edit on 8/21/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
What the? It was to prove a point? Im sure the OP would of chuckled?

Did you read it, it was funny.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Where is the trash bin anyways?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by '___'eed

I'll move it to Jokes in BTS in a minute, so that everyone can have their fun, just not in BB&Q. Also, because your u2u gave me the best laugh I've had all day.

I'd tell you where the trash bin was but then I'd have to kill you.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

One of the strongest markers of intelligence is a strong sense of humor

Is it really? I thought that was more attributed to EQ rather than IQ as it's dealing more with an emotionl response to stimuli rather than a logical assesment. I could be wrong of course.

However I agree that humor is very important in our lives, it's what makes us carry one when the going gets tough. Although what is funny for someone could be offensive to another. Especially when you are dealing with a multi-cultural site such as ATS. So while humor and light heartedness is a good thing, often it travels really bedly on the Internet. It's hard to see if someone is being funny or sincere when all you have is typed text, hence it's good to be a little careful.

As an example from real life; I was in England on an occasion and was picked up at the airport in Manchester. As we travelled from there I heard on the radio about a train accident. The broadcaster said:

"It is believed the 'train' crash was caused due to poor 'training'."

I thought that was hilarious and tried telling the English guys in the car. They just stared at me like I was from Mars. Either the fact that English is my second language made something in English seem funny that really wasn't, or we just didn't share the same type of humor. (Admittedly mine is a little on the low side.)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Tell me where the trash bin is, and then you can dispose me too.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Move what the thread? This is a valid point on the board business and questions. I hope you allow it to stay and see where it goes as fAR AS HUMOR IS CONCERNED. stoopid caps lock always sticks...doh!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by '___'eed

I'm not allowed to kill members. Only Admin can do that.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Szticks

From my experience the British usually consider punning high art. It was probably the likelihood that there were injuries that put a damper on it.

As you say, cultural differences can be problematic.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

I was referring to '___'eed's thread that he linked to, not this one.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Duzey]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
www.belowtopsecret.com...

Rock on Duzey! Yeah!

blarerinarinare wee ranare- Air guitar Yeah

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Ah! You just have to learn how to respond to a thread with a contributing post and be humorous at the same time.

Sincerely,
~Above Average ATSer
AKA: AAA

*edited for below average spelling

[edit on 8/21/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
Have you checked out BTS yet? That's the place to write your funny threads.

What th..?
You have my IP address here and they want it there too?
What's up with you guyses? I going to have to think about this for a while.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join