It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the Nevada desert, there's something out there -- the Black Mailbox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I was reading through the news and current events and found the following story fascinating, and a nice diversion from the end of the world and world war 3...

www.latimes.com...

TIKABOO VALLEY, NEV. -- The only landmark for about 40 miles on a barren stretch of highway is a mailbox battered by time and desert gusts. It's known as the Black Mailbox, though it's actually a faded white.

Over the years, hundreds of people have converged here in south-central Nevada to photograph the box -- the size of a small television, held up by a chipped metal pole. They camp next to it. They try to break into it. They debate its significance, or simply huddle by it for hours, staring into the night.

Some think the mailbox is linked to nearby Area 51, a military installation and purported hotbed of extraterrestrial activity. At the very least, they consider the box a prime magnet for flying saucers.

A few visitors have claimed they saw celestial oddities. But most enjoy even uneventful nights at the mailbox, about midway between the towns of Alamo and Rachel. Alien hunters here are surrounded by like-minded -- meaning open-minded -- company. In a place where the welcome sign to Rachel reads, Humans: 98, Aliens: ?, few roll their eyes at tales of spaceships, military conspiracies and extraterrestrials that abduct and impregnate tourists.

The full news article is a great read, and was just published today, however maybe you all have already heard of this.

I can't recall ever hearing about it, however it's looks like ET's got mail!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
If I am to remember correctly, the mailbox has nothing to do with Groom Lake/A51. It is more to service the nearby ranch (the only one in Tikaboo Valley).

More info can be found here:
www.dreamlandresort.com...
www.geocities.com...
and here at our very own tinWiki.orG
tinwiki.org...

looks like it was a slow news day in LA

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AussieNutter

Slow news day eh?

I thought the story was interesting and entertaining, ... The whole story does explain the origin of the box, (if you want to believe it) The human story of people who gather around it, etc was captivating.

Also, it is bullet proof and locked up tight!

It's the only thing out there.

Now if someone could just catch ET checking the mail... Then we'd have something here.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
It is interesting to see a major news outlet like the LA Times have that on the front cover of their National news section.

With all the talk of the Gilliland ranch in the forum I wonder how many of our members have (or plan to) staked/stake out the ET highway in NV? Not trying to hijack your thread OP just honestly curious.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I really don't have anything constructive to add, but for some reason, while I was reading the story I felt like Carl Johnson all over again. It just had that mysterious, Back O' Beyond feel to it.

Nice find.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Niobis]

new topics

top topics

join