It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abkhazia officially appeals to Russia for independence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Abkhazia officially appeals to Russia for independence

www.russiatoday.com

The Abkhazian Parliament has approved an official appeal to Russia to recognise its independence. The appeal was made by Abkhazian President Sergey Bagapsh to Russia and to the governments of other countries to recognise Abkhazia's independence.

All the deputies who took part at the session agreed that the Abkhazians as well as South Ossetians can not live together with the Georgians in one state.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Earlier the Russian Presdient Dmitry Medvedev offered his support to the two breakaway republics

"We will support any decision on the status of Abkhazia and South Ossetia made by their people in accordance with the UN Charter and other international conventions. We will not only support such decisions, we will guarantee their enforcement,” Medvedev said last week.

It's funny how the US only seems to support independence when it's in its own interest. The irony is that true democracy would dictate by overwhelming majority with 97% vote that they be separate states. But of course NATO will magically not see it that way. We already have at least one Palestine. Do we really need more?

Because if the solution of displacing all those people to another area is all anyone has, other than war, as an option, I'd say war is straight where we're headed. Because you can bet neither S.O. or Abkhazia, or more importantly Russia- ain't buying it.

www.russiatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
How ironic.

Russia, the enforcer of democracy and freedom in the 21st century.

Good thread

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
"We guarantee its enforcement."

Now there's a real live unveiled threat.

What our current administration makes of it will be a defining factor in events to follow.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Sorry for the one liner . . . but where is Abkhazia?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
How ironic.

Russia, the enforcer of democracy and freedom in the 21st century.

Sup Steve,

Yeah man ain't that the truth. If NATO tries to interfere with these people's independence, Russia may well attack. And nuking the persian gulf fleet is probably crossing their minds. Because it's certainly in their doctrine. It's their citizens, their part of world, and one of these days Bush, NATO, and the NWO had better get the message that the fricken USA can't be allowed to rule the world as it sees fit.

edit: and ohh, xx, Akhazia is on the far western...umm...ok here:

It is one of the breakaway provinces of the breakaway state of Georgia.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
And at the same time we are getting statements from Russia like this:

www.mnweekly.ru...

Read the article, and then take a look at the links. Things are being taken way out of hand. I have a feeling it's going to get uglier before anything good happens.

I pray I am wrong.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

This map also reveals some of the potential motivation for agreeing to recognize Abkhazia as a sovereign state. For instance a partnership with Abkhazia would allot greater Russian access to the Black Sea. Better access to NATO targets in Turkey, and potential access to Iraq, Israel, Afghanistan, and Iran. Sounds like positioning to me. I don't think the Russians are screwing around with us this time around...This Cold War seems to be heating up quite a bit.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I pray I am wrong.

Yeah me too, but it ain't looking good. I read that article the other day. Which given all that's happening, is why I just posted:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wonder how long before Russians receive that news.

edit: also, additional confirmation of OP here:

en.rian.ru...

[edit on 20-8-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
Sorry for the one liner . . . but where is Abkhazia?

It would have taken you less than 5 seconds to search on ATS or google it you know...

Second line.

new topics

top topics

join