It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Credit" forum?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Again... I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just don't feel its widespread and a pandemic / epidemic (insert proper term) - if you will. Thats all.

I worked with a guy who just didn't get it, after about a month, he was fired, he just didn't have the right temperment for the trade, so to speak.

Please don't feel like I'm coming down on people who are in financial trouble, I'm not meaning too at all.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I'm talking about collectors who, curse at people, tresspass, basically stalk, etc. the ones breaking the "laws". Those are the scumbag colletors that I'm referring to.

My interpretation is the same.

Curse, and verbally threaten? Happens *ALL* the time.

Yes there are collection agencies who don't partake in this, and its a growing "trend" in the collection agency industry. It IS a good thing.

But believe you me, between the ages of 18 and 20 - i racked up over 10k in credit card debt. 100% my fault. I've since paid every penny of it back - but in some instances - i still deal with idiot collection agency companies that said i never paid - and i have to provide the written agreement between myself and THAT company that says i did.

I've been threatened. I've been cursed at. All more times than not.

Could it be because of the severe nature of the infractions of which i comitted?

Probably.

I doubt they'll threaten you over a 25 dollar late fee bill from Blockbuster video.

But

the amount of debt doesnt matter when you compare it to consumer rights.

When those rights become violated, it helps to know what options you, as a consumer, have.

I taught myself everything i know about it from the experiences i went through.

Now im not saying i know everything, and im not even saying that i know more than someone in your position who's in the collection industry

what i am saying is that i now know how to protect myself from the scumbag collectors

something i didnt know all those years ago.

I see the conspiracies in MSM that seem like nonchalant business to the average consumer.

Until it hits home on their doorstep, or pops up in their credit record - they'll never be the wiser

And i know others share my experiences, and others can contribute more knowledge that i have - many others can

i see it as a means of truly denying ignorance

Of course it could also just be my vehement nature to go after something i want too...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

spend like I'm a super mod,

whats that supposed to mean

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Bottom line is, pay bills, don't hide and play games and you won't have any reason to worry about collectors.

in a lot of cases that is a false statement as well

I've PAID my bills - i am 100% bad-debt free, but im still dealing with debts that have

1.) Been paid off, 100% completely
2.) Have crossed the statute of limitations long time ago

and i still get calls from collection agencies about them.

I know people personally who get calls from CA's that attempt to collect on a debt that never belonged to the person (true scumbags)

It does happen. Alot of people don't think it does - until they're the ones in the position of being screwed.

You should pay your bills.
I would never suggest ways to do otherwise.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

"scumbag" collectors:

Attempt to collect on debts which are past the statute of limitations, betting that the consumer isn't aware of the statute, and/or try to trick them into an action that will "revive" the debt so they can try to collect it.

Attempt to collect on debts which have been discharged in a bankruptcy.

Call the debtor's employer and try to cause trouble. They know they aren't supposed to do that, but they're betting the debtor doesn't.

Acquire judgments against debtors in counties - or states - where the debtor has never lived and the debt was not incurred, then wait until it is too late to protest the judgment before taking action on it.

Use process servers who don't care if they actually deliver the papers to the correct person, but report success so that they can get paid.

Monitor checking accounts waiting for paydays or bonuses, then take ALL of the debtor's money, leaving them nothing to live on for two weeks or a month, and assuring that the debtor will incur additional debt in the form of bounced checks, late fees, and other unpaid bills.

Call the debtor's family members, and the employers of family members, whether or not they had anything to do with the debt. They know this is a violation of the law, but they figure you probably don't.

Just a few examples of things I have personally witnessed.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

So already in this one little thread we see a plethora of discussion topics that could be put into a forum

I realize the staff and administration of ATS is unbelievably busy right now, and im not trying to push for an answer either way today by any means

i truly think it'd make for a very populous forum of which a lot can be learned from

and education can go both ways

some people think there are ways to get out of paying your bills by exploiting the few laws that exist which favor the consumer

there is a lot to learn there as well

you cant get out of paying it.

But there are still far too many people who don't know how to defend themselves in the process. There are still too many people who possess the money to pay - but don't possess the courage to pick up the phone and settle.

Its amazing

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

spend like I'm a super mod,

whats that supposed to mean

i think SD's post was mainly sarcasm

I doubt he meant anything negative by it

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Danggit..
I thought ATS was handing out loans..

That's the only reason I looked in here..

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I was told super mods get paid on commission on how many edits and warnings they give out. At the end of every night they tip out the regular mods.

It seems that I was misinformed on many topics.

AGENT T

We have many members with ats/bts point overdrafts.
Is that the kinda loan you were looking for?

[edit on 8/21/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I think this is a major issue that goes unnoticed too often. This is something that my high school curriculum never touched on and I really wish it had. I even went through several economic courses and we never really broke the surface on this concept.

However, I also feel that this subject matter would fit nicely into some of the pre-existing forums already mentioned here.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heike

"scumbag" collectors:

Attempt to collect on debts which are past the statute of limitations, betting that the consumer isn't aware of the statute, and/or try to trick them into an action that will "revive" the debt so they can try to collect it.

Ahh yes, I've heard of that one, never done it myself, but if the Law says that by owning up to or admiting to a debt, then thats the law, it's not the collectors fault.

Attempt to collect on debts which have been discharged in a bankruptcy.

Well there's a difference, depends on how many attempts they make. This happened to me after my divorce. I received a call on an account that was discharged in a BK, I explained it and told them to go check the records and never heard from them again.

Call the debtor's employer and try to cause trouble. They know they aren't supposed to do that, but they're betting the debtor doesn't.

It's legal to call an employer until asked by that employer not to do so. However it shoud be done politely and never discuss the "matter" with anyone except the debtor.

Acquire judgments against debtors in counties - or states - where the debtor has never lived and the debt was not incurred, then wait until it is too late to protest the judgment before taking action on it.

Again, thats an issue with the law itself. I'm sure companies are filing suits within the limitations of the law, they have to other wise, they wouldn't be able to file the suit to begin with. There's a breakdown on the notification process it sounds.

Use process servers who don't care if they actually deliver the papers to the correct person, but report success so that they can get paid.

I might be wrong, but the law varies from state to state as to the requirement for notification of a pending suit or collection attempt. Some require Certified Mail, that must be signed for and others just requiret the "attmpt" to notify.

Monitor checking accounts waiting for paydays or bonuses, then take ALL of the debtor's money, leaving them nothing to live on for two weeks or a month, and assuring that the debtor will incur additional debt in the form of bounced checks, late fees, and other unpaid bills.

Again, if done properly, its in the law that this is ok to do. I had garnished wages before and file liens on checking accounts. As soon as money is in the account, out it came and it went to the court and then to us.

Call the debtor's family members, and the employers of family members, whether or not they had anything to do with the debt. They know this is a violation of the law, but they figure you probably don't.

Yes this too is legal, at first. It's called skip tracing. I would never call family members employers, but this is why they ask for "references" when you fill out a credit application. You can legally call anyone on that list until asked not to do so any more.

Yes, some of it's crappy, I agree.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I was just mess"n with ya... it's all good.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Yes yes, every body makes fun of SDog.
By the way, you were gone for ten minutes, I assume to check that your considerable wealth is still there.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

We have many members with ats/bts point overdrafts.
Is that the kinda loan you were looking for?

You're doing OK! you could use your ATS card to pay off your BTS outstanding debts.. Then run up some more debt on your BTS card..

I just wondered if I could use some points to buy a plot of land or a nice cottage..

.. and a set of decent road tyres for my new MTB..(thanks B-card)

[edit on 21-8-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I might be wrong, but the law varies from state to state as to the requirement for notification of a pending suit or collection attempt. Some require Certified Mail, that must be signed for and others just requiret the "attmpt" to notify.

No. You're right. Example: New York - all you have to do is "attempt" to notify

thats such a kop-out in my opinion....

but that is because i'm on THIS side of the lawsuit - anyways

these are the kinds of things a lot of people don't know about

"what do you do when you recieve a summons"

"what should you do if threatened by a CA"?

"what means do you have of resolution?"

"why you should never talk to a CA unless you have means to repay"

i mean the list goes on and on

COULD it go in the other forum?

yes - it most certainly could

but i believe that its important enought o deserve its own forum

..again

thats just my 2 cents

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
here's another conspiracy:

A law exists that says the O.C. or the C.A. cannot threaten legal action against you without having intent to do so

thats so cheap!

What is the time line to prove "intent"?

I could tell you today that im going to sue you if you dont pay up

2 years later, if i havent sued, have i lost my right to have "intent" and should my rights as a collector be forfeited and become subject to legal ramifications in the form of violations of the FDCPA ??

SO many laws exist to protect the lender, and those laws are rightfully so - except when they're not counter balanced with likewise laws to protect the consumer....the lender/collector will begin to exploit those laws - unlawfully - in attempts to collect their money

you are entiteld to your money - no doubt

but you're also obligated to use lawful ways of obtaining it.

If you personally dont know if a CA breaks the law - how can you ever do something about it

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

You know, all that shuffling of of accounts brought back some bad memories.
They also gave me a good idea, I think.
How about an ats game where you can gamble points? Every week or month we put over/unders on how many anti Obama threads or GFL communications we get , and so on and so forth. It would be a little fun, no?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It seems to me that the OP has a point and there is more than enough material and interest to fuel a board on this topic alone.

I will forgo my normal 'anti-financial industry' rant here in light of the fact we are probably all on the same page (more or less).

I hope it happens, good suggestion! Flagging it.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
A guy I used to work with had the worst credit of anyone I ever knew. We worked in a large open area with 6 sales desks and me, their secretary. When creditors would call him at work he would tell them "If I knew you were going to be this way about it I would have borrowed the money from someone else."

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

hahahaha

while thats hilarious - its definatly no way to win over the hearts of lenders

see - another thing that really angers me to no end

a guy like me - who until just recently - still had bad credit (even though the past was paid off, it still sticks w/ you for about 7 years) i coudl not get a loan to pay for a stick of gum - despite how much money i make a year

but others are given loans no problem at all (hence the subprime mortage crisis)

Makes me angry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join