It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is McCain Ready to Reinstate the Draft?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
McCain has historically said he would disagree with the draft.

We don't need the draft

Today, he changed his mind.

Today

Presidential candidate John McCain appeared at a town hall meeting in New Mexico today. And, for some reason, tacitly endorsed the draft.

It all went down when an audience member turned the topic toward veteran's rights and said, quite astoundingly, "If we don't reenact the draft I don't think we will have anyone to chase Bin Laden to the gates of hell."

To this McCain replied, "Ma'am let me say that I don't disagree with anything you said and thank you and I am grateful for your support of all of our veterans."

Considering that we may now be headed into WWIII, he may very well endorse it.

Asked about that possibility by a potential voter in Florida during a telephone "town hall meeting," McCain said: "I don't know what would make a draft happen unless we were in an all-out World War III." ...

Source

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The only legislator in recent history to propose a military draft (That I know of anyway) is Charlie Rangel. I think he has every year since 2002. Even Pelosi won't support him on this one:

Amid Uproar Over War, Rangel Renews Call for Draft
Both Parties Grapple With Iraq As They Await Study Group's Report

By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 20, 2006; Page A04

The incoming Democratic chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee said yesterday that he will push to renew the military draft, as lawmakers in both parties sharpened their criticisms of the situation in Iraq and struggled for consensus and solutions.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a likely presidential contender, leveled one of his harshest assessments yet, saying U.S. troops are "fighting and dying for a failed policy." He renewed his call for more U.S. troops in Iraq and said it is immoral to keep them fighting at the current deployment levels.
www.washingtonpost.com...

www.nypost.com...

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran. That's fine. But I want EVERY one of his relatives taking point if he does.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran. That's fine. But I want EVERY one of his relatives taking point if he does.

His sons are already serving so I dont think thats an issue.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Why did Rangel propose the draft?

"I will be introducing that bill as soon as we start the new session," Rangel said on CBS's "Face the Nation." He portrayed the draft, suspended since 1973, as a means of spreading military obligations more equitably and prompting political leaders to think twice before starting wars.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," said Rangel, a Korean War veteran. "If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft."

From your Washington Post source. It was a protest. It had no chance of passing. Has nothing to do with this thread.

I don't think that these statements make the case for McCain supporting the draft outside of unseen circumstances.

new topics

top topics

join