It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words, Words, and Words, and more Word Carnage.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I see a lot of posts trying to convince people on the length and complexity of words and structure.

The exception is a personal story, it needs a level of detail. To convince someone to side an issue, one can be precise and slice like *snip* swords without belligerent exposure of everything you learned.

Experience is everything, and thats how most people will learn. Give them an experience not egotistical dialogue.

Convey a quick understanding of an issue and then "bang" 1-3 sentences.

Anything else is unnecessary and inefficient.

Remember, the human mind can only absorb so much words and info before it is forgotten.

It is usually the first and last things said that is remembered.

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Spank! Spank! Spank! now get out there and post!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eed

What is there to say about such a bizarre post, '___'eed?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'm sorry DMteed, I already forgot what I was going to say. Aardvark? lol no. Anteater, he he no....
Certain things just stick to your mind like a hot glue gun. At least it does for me.

May I ask what is the impetus for such a post?

[edit on 8/20/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

In 1-3 sentences....... I exist. The system continues. I choose not to take part.

Less anger

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MrdDstrbr

Nothing really.

Maybe I thought if people writing 6 full length paragraphs about reptilians or barrack obama that they might acknowledge the truth is my words written above with a 1 sentence post. I am trying to help progress the minds...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wow, it is almost like a challange to see if either I or Majic could write an exceptionally verbose reply. In this case I will defer to Majic to open if so inclined. Although I haven't posted anything over ten paragraphs in quite a while now...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

Whats funny is that your post seemed sarcastic, but in actuality it was quite effective. It leaves the imagination to indulge in your position.

Well done!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Ahh Dante. Now I get it. I think there are some windmills at your six. I'd go check them out.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

LOL, that post is exactly what I am talking about. Good example.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

"Phoniness is the highest form of self-degradation." - Me, I wrote this in high school a few decades ago.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Why Post? ---Im like a muth ^$(0 machine. I mow through threads like an old-ladies needle.

It bugs me to see people exert so much effort in explanation when it can be simplified.

x= y + z

or

3x - 2x + 3z + 4y = 5y + 4z (look at me, look at me go! yeah!)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I, too, have been frustrated by the uber loquatiousness of a plethora of posters. Just kiddding, but I know what you mean. It's not too many. Teach by example?

[edit on 8/20/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

Well, your very special. I'm sure you had plenty of room for improvement.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Glad you saw that for the obvious tongue in cheek reply that it was.

It just reminded me of a sarcastic lament about Mod pay by Intrepid once and how Majic was paid more. I told him the contract was clearly on a per word basis and offered to ghostwrite for a cut. He mentioned something about there was only so much bandwidth to go around after I had some long posts he had read at the time.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

NICE! Well Done young lad. See, I just learned what laquatiosnessssssss
was today.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Mods get paid. Wow. I thought they were doing it for Special Forum access or comic con tickets or something...

[edit on 20-8-2008 by '___'eed]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
No, they are not paid. Nor do they get a beer expense account, which is the other running joke that pops up from time to time.

Well with the move to BTS I think we just got Majic's reply LOL

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Ahabstar]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Sometimes you just have a lot to say

Some posts require a long drawn out diatribe in order to express all of the complex issues associated with the topic at hand. These posts while quite lengthy ensure the reader exactly what the poster is trying to express. If the poster fails to expel onto the reader his exact thoughts on the subject adequately, a response may be forthcoming from the reader that the poster could have averted if they had explained themselves more thoroughly.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it

Some posts need to be extraordinarily long in order to explain all of the included data that is linked within the post. Some people may not understand a graph or a external link without a reason why the poster chose that link to back up their argument. Some posts also require external box quotations from a source site in order to bolster and justify the argument.

Many different issues to get to

Some subjects are actually a conglomeration of several subjects that all have an effect on the outcome. In these subjects its important to clarify all the different aspects of the subject in the topic at hand.

The Devil is in the Details

In the case of a UFO reporting the more details the better and the more verifiable details make for a better article or reply. If you have the requisite knowledge that is demanded for such a wordy reply it is a posters duty to enlighten those around them of those details and what exactly was seen, done, recorded, documented, etc. This insures that a poster is able to give as much information as possible to the reader so that the reader can formulate a proper reply and opinion of the subject.

To say it plainly

Sometimes it is important to spell out a subject using specific points of reference and make it as simple for everyone to understand the subject being discussed. In these instances a short reply might leave the reader with too many questions and thus a misunderstanding may occur. Then the poster is left to rehash all of the information that they have gathered in the first post point by point. This may lead to misstatements and further misunderstandings.

To create argument

Sometimes a lengthy post is set to create a definite argument. In these cases the poster knowfully and willingly creates a lengthy post in order to stir up controversy and thus a lengthy debate can ensue. This isn't always a bad thing. Perhaps the point of starting the argument with a lengthy post is to discuss all of the issues associated with the topic primer.

To create rebuttal

Adversely a poster may want to rebut an argument made by another poster so they chose to bullet point every aspect of the issue in a single post instead of drawing out a poster with a minimalist post. They may wish to include all of the finer points into one post and thus make it simpler for the OP to negate, refute, or accept the second posters argument.

To Defend

Perhaps a poster may make a lengthy and or wordy post in order to defend a persons credibility or to defend a side of the argument. In these cases it is very important for the poster to make quite clear their side of the issue in the topic primer and to make sure that all of the points are adequately discussed. This sometimes cannot be done in a single paragraph or sentence.

To insure Credibility

Perhaps a poster's own credibility is the issue on the line and the poster has to make clear exactly why their credibility must be maintained. In this instance a lengthy post will show why the poster should be taken at face value instead of being questioned. It is sometimes important to list all of the relevant details pertaining to the posters reasons for believability in these issues and make the reader understand why the poster's credibility should be believed.

To destroy Credibility

Adversely it may also be important to rebut and refute testimony with a lengthy post to debunk and destroy credibility of a poster. If a poster is someone who has made a wild claim with little or no backup data, it may be important to spell out all of the verifiable data that supports the oppositions side of an argument. In this case a short reply may be inadequate.

Multiple Responses

A post may be lengthy because it is responding to many different posters at the same time, this sometimes is important if one is responding and debating many individuals in one thread. A post may be lengthy because the poster has to refute and rebut many different people all in one reply.

People just like to type

Some people like myself just like to type, I like to write things and so a lengthy response is in order to satisfy my craving for the keyboard. In this instance a long drawn out answer is necessary in order to slate my thirst for the sound of keys being depressed.

Too much Time on ones Hands

Similarly a poster may just have way too much time to waste writing. This can cause a poster to write out an unnessisarily long reply to a post out of boredom. The poster could have just as easily wrote a short reply to a post but instead chose to write out a lengthy reply as to waste some time. In this case lengthy replies result and allow the poster to tick off minutes out of their lives that would have been spent futilely otherwise.

To look at their own words

Some posters just like to read their own writing, and thus may write a long winded response in order to re read what they have written. It gives the poster satisfaction in the accomplishment of making a long drawn out post that in all reality could have been said in a few words.

To kill a thread

Some posters long to be the last poster in a thread. So a lengthy post is sometimes required to adequately beat a dead horse into the ground. This of course can backfire on a poster (see To create argument above)

In summation...

The reason a person may choose to write a lengthy post is, sometimes you just have a lot to say and it's not what you say, it's how you say it. Some posters have many different issues to get to and The Devil is in the details. To say it plainly, some posters want to create argument, or create rebuttal, or may defend an argument. They may wish to insure credibility, or to destroy credibility. Some posters may have multiple responses. People just like to type, and they have too much time on their hands, and like to look at their own words, or some posters may simply want to kill a thread.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Well, your very special. I'm sure you had plenty of room for improvement.

I'm sorry it seems you misunderstood me, but oh well, I thought you were looking for poetic one or two liners that actually said something without all the rhetoric. My apologies!

new topics

top topics

join