It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Dies After Waiting 22 Hours at Hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Man Dies After Waiting 22 Hours at Hospital

www.komonews.com

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - A mental patient died after workers at a North Carolina hospital left him in a chair for 22 hours without feeding him or helping him use the bathroom, said federal officials who have threatened to cut off the facility's funding.

The state sent a team Tuesday to help Cherry Hospital in Goldsboro draft new procedures to ensure patients receive proper care.

An investigator's report released Monday found that 50-year-old Steven Sabock died in April after he choked on medication and was left sitting in a chair for close to a day at the facility about 50 miles southeast of Raleigh. Surveillance video showed hospital staff watching television and playing cards just a few feet away.

Federal officials have threatened to cut off funding because of Sabock's death and a report that a physician punched a patient after the teen bit the doctor.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
UNREAL...

This almost ranks up there with the patient laying on the floor convulsing that all the hospital workers ignored a ways back.

The guy sat there for nearly a day unattended.

Absolutely disgusting.

Department of Health and Human Services spokesman Tom Lawrence said the state team also may investigate what, if any, disciplinary action should be taken following Sabock's death.

Lawrence said the Sabock incident is isolated but that officials are concerned.

"It's not the kind of thing that we in our wildest dreams would expect to happen in our hospitals - in our wildest nightmares, I guess," Lawrence said.

www.komonews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Horrific and frightening. Every medical person who had a shift that day needs to be fired, fined, and have their licenses revoked.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Malpractice, ignorance, and desertion of duty at it's best. I bet all the nursing notations were in order though.
As a healthcare worker I find this particularly heinous.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
You know what I find even more unbelievable than them leaving him to die?

It's that the feds are threatening to cut funding

What the hell is that going to accomlish besides the suffering and eventual deaths of patients? Just close the goddamn thing down, and charge or fine or sue or do whatever to the scumbags in charge of the facility, to the hospital staff that did nothing to save this man, and especially to the doctor that punched the patient.

America's health care system sounds like an absolute nightmare.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben420
You know what I find even more unbelievable than them leaving him to die?

It's that the feds are threatening to cut funding

What the hell is that going to accomlish besides the suffering and eventual deaths of patients? Just close the goddamn thing down, and charge or fine or sue or do whatever to the scumbags in charge of the facility, to the hospital staff that did nothing to save this man, and especially to the doctor that punched the patient.

America's health care system sounds like an absolute nightmare.

Agreed.

I read this yesterday online and thought the same thing. What is cutting funds going to do exactly? Those in charge should be fired as well as those working on the shifts who stood by and did absolutely nothing to help.

Close this place down and move the patients to a safer facility!

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Artista]

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Artista]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
They'll always claim the incidents to be "isolated". The only problem is that there will soon be alot of them but comfortingly "isolated" in the same vain as botched police raids.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think its bad of course.But to choke on medication?
That isn't a common cause of death.
They gave him his meds and thought he would just sit there in his chair in lalaland until the psych team got there?
Then again to choke you'd think they would notice.
Poor guy.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ben420

You are absolutely correct!!! The federal government ought to reward hospitals with more federal money for behavior like this!!! What are they thinking?!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Sue the ones that licensed the facility and employees at the tune of a 200million dollar fine paid in full. That would wake them up and stop it

top topics

join