It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Americans losing freedoms, or just realizing how things have always been?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Not sure how I could have made that title any shorter and got the point across (and not mistakenly say "we" without specifying what country).

It seems that lots of people are "waking up" to the injustices of the oncoming police state, and little bonuses like the Patriot Act, Homeland Security, the TSA, etc. help snap them out of their dreams as well...

However, if you subscribe to the mainstream conspiracy theories regarding the US, it's almost impossible to think that (white) people (with land) have been free, ever - or at least since 1913 when the Fed was born.

To be quite honest, even the most basic patriot would have to uphold the constitution and bill of rights before any other law, since those are all secondary. That being said, I don't see how new Acts and Bills can really take away any type of freedom, and more than words are just wind.

Of course, that's an idealistic and unrealistic mentality - however, it proves the point that ink on paper and words in the wind are all the same, until you actually give priority and respect to certain ones.

The fact that the politicians can write and pass any law, and police, TSA agents and other officials can make laws up, on the spot, verbally - doesn't really imply that freedoms are being revoked right now, but rather they have been gone for such a long, long time - and nobody ever made much of a stink about it, that it's taken for granted that we will all roll over, and we do.

Even if you are the 1 in 1000 that makes a scene over being wrongfully accused/arrested/assaulted/neglected/etc. - and even if that 1/1000 became 1/100, I don't think it would matter either. It's not like they are going to run out of supplies to make jails.

Can anyone here say otherwise, that we were free, but only because of recent events have we been restricted? etc.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by scientist]

join