It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia sends aircraft carrier to Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
So, the Russians are starting an artificial reef program?

Russia sends aircraft carrier to Syria

www.barentsobserver.com...

The Russian aircraft carrier “Admiral Kuznetsov” is ready to head from Murmansk towards the Mediterranean and the Syrian port of Tartus. The mission comes after Syrian President Bashar Assad said he is open for a Russian base in the area.

The “Admiral Kuznetsov”, part of the Northern Fleet and Russia’s only aircraft carrier, will head a Navy mission to the area. The mission will also include the missile cruiser “Moskva” and several submarines, Newsru.com reports.

President Assad in meetings in Moscow this week expressed support to Russia’s intervention in South Ossetia and Georgia. He also expressed interest in the establishment of Russian missile air defence facilities on his land.

The “Admiral Kuznetsov” also last year headed a navy mission to the Mediterranean. Then, on the way from the Kola Peninsula and south, it stopped in the North Sea where it conducted a navy training exercise in the immediate vicinity of Norwegian offshore installations.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Geez!!

Ezekiel 38 and 39 people!

The time is drawing near!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
So? They are just merely doing what they SAID they were going to do. They're moving their hardware now, not just their mouths. Screw NATO they are saying, and frankly, I can see why. When have you known a bear to back down from a fight? Thanks US, UK and Israel. You're in it now. So needless. So many will die. So what. :shk:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Here is how it's all going to start.

The Kuznetsove will be sunk by a Israel using one of their deisel subs in port or near Syria.

Remember the "Maine"

And how the Spanish American War started, history tends to repeat itself.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Ya know, America can send it's fleet all over the freaking world, but, one Russian AC leaves it's home port and Americans freak out.

Double standard, table of one?

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I don't see what all the fuss is about.

The Russian fleet is mostly in disrepair, from what I've read and seen on various web sites.

I believe that this small fleet needs to be watch with interest and you can be sure that the US and NATO services are doing just that.

I also wonder what their state of readiness is. Our guys are always training. Does anyone think that a Russian carrier is any match for a Nimitz class carrier and our crews

NOT!!!

I think that like most naval surface warfare, it's the missiles and subs that you have to worry about. Not an obsolete carrier.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail
Ya know, America can send it's fleet all over the freaking world, but, one Russian AC leaves it's home port and Americans freak out.

Actually, that is Russia's ONLY aircraft carrier, according to the latest stats at globalsecurity.org. And the fact that they'd send that to Syria is most logically part of a larger plan.

If I recall, the US already has ships in the Med. Let's hope that confrontation goes well, and they pass each other bright-eyed and bushy tailed. But I imagine Russia is placing that there to guard a follow through with missiles/possible nukes/bases into Syria.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Do you know how many Ruusain warships were in Persian Gulf when Putin ordered Russian naval fleet to protect Iran from possible USS air attack during recent conflict in South Ossetia? And which are they?

[edit on 21-8-2008 by emile]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

The point is: everyone is choosing sides. Russia has more friends in the world than us. And if this war of words goes to blows, I see cheap-shots aplenty, and rightfully sow, we pooped the bed and must now burn in it. Wow, I have a positive outlook on the future!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
ehhe, i wouldnt believe anyone who told me russia has 1 sole aircraft carrier.

Wasnt long ago we only discovered China's 'secret' sub base in a nice pennisula, which gives them access to the pacific.

Thats one big bloody peice of realestate Russia has, im pretty sure there's stuff we dont know about.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

I agree,
but id like to think nations can look past the facist us government and maybe 'help' them get rid of them, so the people can again claim democracy.

Plus, Russia's done this before, and folded over it.. im sure nations wont forget its crimes either.

in saying that, first to use a nucelar weapon pretty much null and voids and friends theyve got left.

my worry is the man who believes enough nukes will remove the bad eggs and leave only happy customers...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Wow. At least now we know how Russia felt when the US signed the deals with Poland and the Czech Republic to host missile defense systems there.

US and Poland - Missile Deal

I say good one Russia, this missile shield will reaffirm the MAD status quo

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Recent update:

Big Russian flotilla led by Admiral Kuznetsov carrier heads for Syrian port

Before the Russian flotilla departed Murmansk, Assad is reported by our sources as having given the nod for Tartus port’s conversion into a permanent Middle East base for Russia’s nuclear-armed warships.

www.debka.com...

new topics

top topics

join