It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law and Order: Curfew America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Law and Order: Curfew America

www.independent.co.uk

The police state has not arrived quite yet but it may feel like it to the residents of some American cities, where a handful of embattled mayors and police chiefs are imposing strict and sometimes sweeping curfews as a last resort to quell new waves of gun violence this summer.

"We must do this because we cannot and will not tolerate innocent people, especially children, to be victims," insists Eddie Perez, the Mayor of Hartford, the capital of Connecticut, where a night-time curfew was introduced last week and will remain in effect for a month for those under 18 years old.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
America slipping into full blown Fascism? NAH

Police state / Martial Law becoming more apparent? NAH

Nothing to see here sheeples, now be herded quietly back into your pens and submit your rights freely!

Nor are there any apologies from the authorities in Helena-West Helena on the banks of the Mississippi in Arkansas, small pockets of which are under a24-hour curfew that all ages must respect. Police are enforcing it, moreover, with night-vision goggles and M16 military rifles.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I believe many areas have curfews, they just don't enforce them all that often. When I grew up in california I believe there was a curfew on the books.

When some areas end up with a lot of teenage's loitering and committing crimes, and those kids apparently don't care if they are out half the night, something should be done about it.

The curfew is for MINORS, that is not at all the same as for adults.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Point somewhat taken, but I'm not sure that I particularly would want militarized cops with M-16's and Nightvision goggles enforcing the "safety" of my teenagers. But that's just me I guess.

And although in this city this is relegated to minors, that is not the case everywhere. There have been nazi-like "checkpoints" popping up all over the states, as well as other martial-law like exercises occurring with more frequency. It is not a good sign, not a good sign at all...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well if you were a good parent you probably would NOT have your kids out on the streets unsupervised in violent areas. You probably would not allow your kids to run around in street gangs threatening and shooting at other people either.

I think they should FINE the parents if the kids are out more than an hour past curfew (or dock their welfare checks). Maybe if they had stricter punishments and locked the little thugs up for a few years if they were caught committing crimes then we wouldn't need curfews.

Two weekends ago, 11 people were shot in three different attacks, the worst at the annual West Indian Parade in the city's North End, which left one man dead and two children hurt. A toddler in a pushchair was grazed by bullet on her leg. A seven-year-old boy remains in hospital with serious head wounds.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
When some areas end up with a lot of teenage's loitering and committing crimes, and those kids apparently don't care if they are out half the night, something should be done about it.

In my time (I'm only 37
), people would freak out over us just getting together and hanging out. No crimes were being committed or anything. Alot of older folks simply seem to be scared of young people-- constantly suspicious of their activities without cause and forgetting they were once in a similar place.

If the young whippersnappers are out gang banging, I suppose some sort of crackdown is warranted. Enforcing it on all ages with night vision and automatic rifles is a martial law tactic and of grave concern. Don't forget that local activities, policies and the resulting outcomes are euphemistically referred to in sociology as "experiments" and set precident for what comes later.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Part of my repulsion to this notion must be genreational. In my time, (to quote our esteemed EnlightenUp) the notion of a curfew was associated with civil unrest of the scale of the Chicago Riots. Other than that, curfew was generally what Mom and Dad tolerated.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This don't really seem like anything new. My aunt lived in Wisconsin 10 years ago and I remember hearing bells over loud speakers like school bells. She said that was curfew in the city for anyone under 18. Of course it could have just been a lie to keep me from getting lost at night.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The road to fascism is always taken in baby steps.

They need time to warm us up to the thoughts of curfew enforcing cops armed with m16s and looking into our lives to make sure we arent "terrorists".

Yes, the road to fascism is a long one but we have been on it for about 200 years so we are close.

PS.
For those who think that a curfew is fine and dandy re-read the first amendment in the bill of rights.

First Amendment – Establishment Clause, Free Exercise Clause; freedom of speech, of the press, and of assembly; right to petition

The right to assembly means we have the right to assemble ourselves when ever where ever. No curfew.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by caballero]

new topics

top topics

join