It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bare metal Nimrod over the Forth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Today an RAF Nimrod completely devoid of any paint or markings of any kind passed down the forth. It really struck me that this aircraft didn't even look 'safe' in such a naked state, let alone comply with air markings ect.

The pics from about a mile and a half away, but there is a huge jpeg file if any one wants it emailed to them. u2u me an addy and ill happily do it in the morning.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

The detail around the nose. Note the bare radar covering.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Possibly on it's way to delivery?...

In a previous career life I worked for Bell and Aerospatiale helicopters...we sent aircraft, basically still in zinc chromate to paint shop or right to the customer and they had it painted.

maybe?...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
if you zoom in around the air intakes you will notice they are round

its an MR4A likely doing flight trials

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
if you zoom in around the air intakes you will notice they are round

its an MR4A likely doing flight trials

I first thought that, but I think it might be the angle making them look round.

From the pics I've seen the engine Exhausts stick out futher from the wing on MR2 and they don't so much on the MR4A, but the intakes do stick out. The bits which stick down on the tailplane I think are longer on the MR4A and also there's an intake at the base vertical tail.

Found a good couple of pics to compare.

MR2 (the inflight shot at the bottom is good)
www.raf.mod.uk...

MR4A
photographersdirect.com...

Good pic you got Dan

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

I'd tend to agree with the others and say this is a new plane that has yet to painted, either on it's way to delivery or the paint shop.

Also, what is this Air Markings Act? Can't seem to find anything going by that name in UK Law. Maybe it's called something else, but I would appreciate a link if you could?

RAB

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Just a thought:

Is it on it's way from RAF Kinloss down to Bae warton? i.e. minimum crew so keeping close to airports. Kinloss down to Edinburgh then Edinburgh down to RAF Leeming. Then the run down to Warton near preston. Maybe to start it's refit to MR4A standard.

No evidence of this, not sure if BAE have all the airframes that they need already or not. Or just a mantence flight.

(I Lie the rebulds are being done at BAE Woodford in manchester. So Leeming down to Woodford) Both Warton and Woodford worth a lok on google earth

As I say just a thought

RAB

[edit on 21-8-2008 by RAB]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAB
Just a thought:

Is it on it's way from RAF Kinloss down to Bae warton? i.e. minimum crew so keeping close to airports. Kinloss down to Edinburgh then Edinburgh down to RAF Leeming. Then the run down to Warton near preston. Maybe to start it's refit to MR4A standard.

No evidence of this, not sure if BAE have all the airframes that they need already or not. Or just a mantence flight.

(I Lie the rebulds are being done at BAE Woodford in manchester. So Leeming down to Woodford) Both Warton and Woodford worth a lok on google earth

As I say just a thought

RAB

[edit on 21-8-2008 by RAB]

Nimrod MK4A start their modification at BAE Woodford , which is where the original Nimrods were buit. This is only 7 miles away from where I live.

MK4A can be identified by the new Intake at the base of the leading edge of the Tail Fin.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ajsr71

Its an MR2 on an Air Test from Kinloss prior to going to the paintshop at Norwich (IIRC)

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
In addition to what ajsr has posted the 'fins' on the tailplanes of the MRA4 are swept back, not vertical, and the engine intakes project ahead of the leading edge of the wing (and are bigger) so the plane pictured is an MR2. At least for now it is.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I am going to Kinloss next week to get some good pics of the MR4.(i hope)

I'll see if this bare metal or a fresh painted MR2 is hanging around at all.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The aeroplane is an MR2 from Kinloss which has just come out of a major service from what used to be known as Nimrod Major Servicing Unit on the North side of the airfield.
They take it down to bare metal/primer to check for signs of corrosion, damage etc then rebuild it.
When the photos were taken it was on an airtest prior to flying down to Norwich (IIRC) to get the air equivelant of a respray.

As for Dans hopes of photographing MRA4 at Kinloss, unfortunately not yet, don't believe any are due to appear up here for a while. Possibly in October for a big ex. that takes place then.
Hope this clears up the questions.

Jim

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jimrodger

YOu are right, and I think this would be a good time to deal with the hairless cat too. If you are allergic then get a dog.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Thanks alot Jim, clears it up nicely thanks.

I hope that the exercise will be as good and as well stocked with aircraft as this years earlier effort. The Mirages were an absolute treat to watch !

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Does anyone know why all the "projects" and planes, etc are named from ancient biblical or mythological things?

Like Apollo, Nimrod, Janus, Zeus, etc????

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Can you guys make an uglier airplane? Come on I thought Russia's airplanes were ugly but man that takes the cake...........Nimrod is a name that commonly means Idiot here in the States......

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 38181
Can you guys make an uglier airplane? Come on I thought Russia's airplanes were ugly but man that takes the cake...........Nimrod is a name that commonly means Idiot here in the States......

Well Mr Nimrod, if you want to know why we named an anti-submarine aircraft 'Nimrod'-Google is your friend.

new topics

top topics

join