It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Information Overload

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'm sure this has been discussed before (maybe not on ATS per se), but I feel like the more information I absord on these various esoterical topics-- from the existence of E.T.s to government conspiracies, to mind control, etc.--the more I feel like I'm slowy losing my mind.

At times I feel like a veritable nihilist -- in that all is hopeless -- and other times I feel like the truth can set me free. But mostly now I feel completely confused and dissillusioned. The best analogy I can think of is the ubiquitous nursery rhyme:

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Is too much information the real enemy here? Anyone else feel the same way here. I'm seriously having a hard time processing all this stuff.

Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I know exactly how you're feeling...

Fortunately (or not) I ate the red pill, and jumped head 1st into the rabbit hole.

Does it have an ending? lol

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TaZCoN

How do you know you jumped down the right hole? From my PoV, I'm looking across a great expanse and there are infinite holes and various shades of the red pill present. To many choices...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Just remember that the major job of your nervous system is to cut out (pre-percieved) irrelvance. Anything you see after that is a priveledge.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

I think I get what you are saying, "weeding through the static." The problem is my tinfoil onion dome hat needs repair.

Too much information to process.

It's not like I'm not accustomed to unconventional thinking. I just can't wrap my brain around most of this stuff without feeling beat-up.

**WARNING**
Star Wars reference in 3...2...1

Obi-wan Kenobi: "...like a million voices cried out and were suddenly silenced."

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I've had the same thoughts at times. I've also read a few threads here stating the same. I have come to a temporary conclusion that appears to work at this point in time.

The more detailed the information the less one should put credence in it's truthiness. The details can be manipulated quite easily to suit a particular aim. The more details we ingest the more confusing it will all become since the details from one account to another are usually different.

However, the outlining edges of the puzzle can be surmised by looking for those things that are the same or similar in all accounts.

Let's take the alleged NWO. The details of who is behind such an ideal are different. One person says it's Neocons. Another will state it's Jews. Yet another says it's Jesuits. Still another says it's the Vatican or Masons. But if we look at the evidence and just keep the details as probabilities we can see that there does appear to be a greater organization at play that controls the systems that make up our current society. There doesn't necessarily have to be but the evidence does point to it.

So what I do is look for the general underlining themes to get a general picture of what's going on. The details are merely kept as a set of probable data points that cannot be accurately determined at this point in time.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Parabolic

We live in a funnel of information. All information is broad at first, at the top of the funnel, but then eventually sifts itself out and winds down to the ultimate reality or truth! Just give it time.

I use this formula: it may look good, may sound good, but does it "feel" right?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Boy oh boy did you post this at the right time, just last night i sat through hours of John Lear footage, and it got so insulting to my intelligence at one point, I was like wtf am i bothering searching through all this stuff for, its a waste of my time, but then that could be one of the main motives of dis info agents, so that we just get worn out, give up, and stop searching for the truth becasue we just get caught in a web of lies lies lies! and Hoaxes!

Yet as some have stated already here, when you look across the expanse of it all, you know some of it fits somewhere, and that there is shiznit goin on for sure.

I know exactly how you feel, im feelin it right now, its so hard to do any true research when theres a # load of garbage in your way. Haystack - Needle, Anyone?

I dont know what the answer is for the cure, I guess it maybe something like stepping away from the computer, and walking out the door, or simply going on websites that are funny, or let it all out like I do on a blog or podcast. God knows no one else will understand us, I tried to mention a department of defense document to my sister and all I got was gotta go bye, i tell my girlfriend what im researching and she gives unintresting yes sounds and when i ask her 5 mins later what i talked about she has no idea, if i tell my mother she wil just say im obsessed, Nobody wants to hear the friggin truth, thats the hardest part, nobody wants to listen to us!

Good Luck fellow truth seeker, I wish you some gems of truth, for your efforts.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Exactly! Seems there are more 'cover' theories than what could otherwise be considered 'real.'

Some of the stuff I've come across alla John Lear, Whitley Strieber, etc., seem off the wall to me.

Dissinformation?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
People who suddenly wake up to all of this like yourself are overloaded with information as you said. Most people then believe everything they read without question it (happened to me too).

In my own search for "the truth", looking into all these subjects for more than 10 years - UFOs, Paranormal, Conspiracy theories, religion and what not. I have come to the conclusion that I want to do something about it (obviously). Try to focus on things that you can change/want to change instead of wasting your time on things that will not matter in the end for you. You can go on and on about who killed JFK and spend hours researching 9/11, most people are not interested in what you have to say about it anyway, they go back to their dream world and you're lying sleepless at night, frustrated that no one wants to listen.

In the search of trying to understand this insanity world, I found out that I had not searched in the most holy place - my inner self.... the psychology and spiritualism is the key, at least for me.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
For me it wasn't the amount of information but rather the sheer evil it suggested, to which I was mostly unaware of before. I believe that is why most people don't want to read about conspiracy theories, they don't want to deal with that kind of evil, don't want to look at ugly things only the beautiful things.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Wow! Synchronicity!?!?!

I was seriously going to start a thread with this very same title in this very same forum about this very same subject a few days ago. Weird.

It feel like I am on the "right" path here, and I don't have much of a problem sifting through info and deciding whether it is good or bad... but what gets me is that sometimes, along with all the other garbage I'm being forced to absorb from media and jobs and society in general, along with everything I am researching, along with all the various theories growing in my head... sometimes, I despise seeing any more information whatsoever. I look at a book sitting there, and I get sick. There are days when I just want to go to sleep for a long time and not think or see or intake any sort of sensory input whatsoever, just be in a sea of nothingness where information doesn't exist.

Maybe it's a side effect of all of this constant invasive advertisement, and all of this crap from our daily lives (which are getting more and more cramped with incessant activity and thought by the day) that we "have to know in order to" do whatever it is that we do.... and television, it overloads the brain with stimulus constantly!

Yeah I feel ya. My brain short circuits and wants a complete break every once in a while, too. Sometimes, you would just rather NOT know anything.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
information overload syndrome is a real disorder its called I.O.S

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch

Wow! Synchronicity!?!?!

I was seriously going to start a thread with this very same title in this very same forum about this very same subject a few days ago. Weird.

Apparently there are more of us experiencing this very same thing. Thanks for the shared point-of-view. I don't feel like I have a copyright on feeling this way anymore

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I rely on nootropics for help in processing all the info I can get. I have also been working with an AI program for filtering the incoming information stream but it still has a ways to go in learning my preferences. It is learning though.

[edit on 8/26/2008 by UFOTECH]

top topics

join