It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Foot Hoaxed to Discredit UFOlogists and Disclosure Movement-?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The recent Bigfoot hoax, that was allowed so much coverage, has in my opinion done damage to how the population will next react to "abnormal news or discoveries".

I just cant believe that the story, which was so poorly acted and behaved exactly how you would think a mishandled con would go, received so much buzz.

I'll get right to my point. This very distracting story came out after a war (Russia VS Georgia) that is a blemish and now a big problem for the US happened. It seems to me that the US is losing the PR war with this one and people are becoming aware that Georgia was the aggressor in the conflict. Also, Rice is saying some pretty tough talk to Russia in the news.

Was it a distraction story to get americans to not pay as much attention to the war info?
Is the administration trying to conduct another proxy war or direct conflict with Russia, who is friends with Iran?

I dont know. Its hard to figure it all out. Am I crazy? I wont be mad if you think I am.

Related Update:: the US forces in iraq have drafted a troop pullout plan. Seems like we want to move forces out of there pretty fast. Its taken a while for this to happen. Why now though? Cuz we need to move our forces someplace else? European front perhaps???

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
No, Bigfoot was a relatively big story because we're in the slow news time of the summer, so the media fills it with all kinds of "human interest" stories, which include a lot of fringe stuff like Bigfoot, UFOs, movie stars having babies, and so on.

Believe me, the over-eager proponents and enthusiasts of paranormal subjects don't need any help to discredit whatever field they're interested in. The wackjobs in the various fields to a fine job of that all by themselves.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I think you are looking into it a little too much. One does wonder about the timings, but it doesn't mean that it was deliberate. Papers and broadcasts will grasp at straws if there is nothing else to print.

I know a lot of crap gets published in my local rag if there is nothing newsworthy happening.

That said, I think Nohup hit it on the head when he said that the students of UFOlogy and the paranormal have to work twice as hard to get the wider public to accept they have a legitimate claim.

However, it is interesting that people automatically adopt the role of the skeptic with these sorts of issues. Is that because of basic human nature or 50+ years of conditioning?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieNutter
However, it is interesting that people automatically adopt the role of the skeptic with these sorts of issues. Is that because of basic human nature or 50+ years of conditioning?

Being a skeptic is the safest way to play it. I personally would love to see a real Bigfoot caught, or some UFO saucer explained (whatever that explanation might be). But I'm not going to let my enthusiasm for the subject cloud my reason and judgment. I'd rather step back a bit, not get too caught up in the hoopla right away, and just take a good, wary look at the available evidence. If it's the real deal, I figure I don't have to rush to any conclusions. It'll be around long enough to decide one way or another.

If the evidence is tested and confirmed by a number of disinterested people who are smarter than me, that's great! Nobody can tell me, "I told you so," because I kept an open mind. If it turns out to be utter hogwash, then I saved myself a lot of time (and possibly money) looking like a fool for believing in it.

top topics

join