It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US, Poland OK missile defense base, riling Moscow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

US, Poland OK missile defense base, riling Moscow

news.yahoo.com

WARSAW, Poland - The United States and Poland signed a deal Wednesday to place a U.S. missile defense base just 115 miles from Russia — a move followed swiftly by a new warning from Moscow of a possible military response.
"Missile defense, of course, is aimed at no one," Rice said. "It is in our defense that we do this."

She denounced an earlier threat from a Russian general to target NATO member Poland, possibly even with nuclear weapons, for accepting the facility.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Well now it's official...

So what is the actual Russian response? Poland is an ally unlike Georgia... A much longer history, and much deeper treaties. So Russia is pissy because we took away their ability to destroy us?

I guess they get to try the new system out right away?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
So Russia is pissy because we took away their ability to destroy us?

No. It's because in the past they had some difficulty coping with NATO, back in the day when Russia was called the USSR. But that fell apart in 1991. USSR had like a pact of some sort. Something like the "Warsaw" Pact (It was to counter the NATO threats.)

The mutual defense treaty signed in "Warsaw", Poland, in 1955.

Anyway I gotta feel sorry for Poland when the shield is suggested to be in Poland. Russia is thinking that Poland betrayed them now since that they are signed under NATO. So now Poland is a threat to them. So they have to invade Poland, and destroy their alliance with NATO. So I'm guessing that Russia will also sink their economy.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Shrukin89]

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Shrukin89]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This I'm afraid will get really ugly.
Russia will probably bring back the Warsaw Pact and once again become the re-newed USSR. Only that it'll probably will have a different name since this alliance treaty signing thing won't be held in Warsaw.

I can tell ya that Iran, China, Russia (and neighboring countries) will be an alliance against NATO and Western interests

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

Based on that, can you imagine?
ACU - Asian Continential Unity

From Indonesia to Northern Russia. As a unity, they border everything in the known world except the America contients. Together, they would comprise more than half of the worlds population and economy. Not a shot would have to be fired. Just unite and close up the new border, embargo the rest of the world, and watch the frenzy begin. It would be a global catastrophy.
Of course, when you bring three nuclear capable countries together into a united front, you have the makings of global destruction as well.

I know that we are allied with Japan and South Korea, perhaps a few others, but it would likely not take much persuasion for the leaders of the big countries to change their minds.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It is hard to believe that on the other side of the world covers a fairly large significant sized portion of the world. But yeah it won't be hard at all for a large sized nation to capture small independent nation that's on the other side.

The only side that the U.S has close relations with is Canada, Mexico, Britian, Isreal, (India?) probably a few more.

Okay now for Russia, well pretty much all of the Middle East is on their side (except for Isreal and a couple more I think) India, China (which they have an enormous army) North Korea, etc.

Haha well it's hard to believe but that's about like 2.5 billion people with India and China put together.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Thought this looked familiar. Topic being discussed here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join