It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What!! Churandy Martina disqualified??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I want to see the tape. They've disqualified Churandy Martina in the 200m at the olympics after protests from the U.S. team (for Wallace Spearmon's DQ) claiming that he also ran outside the lines. I haven't seen the tape yet, but I want to see it. It was determined two hours after the race that he stepped out of his lane.

Now the U.S. has silver and bronze, and the Netherlands Antilles has nothing. I smell a conspiracy.

Anyway, at least Curacao is the new Little League WORLD CHAMPION!!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
look at the tape buddy...he should be DQ'd..

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The video shows he clearly stepped over the inside lane just as Spearmon did.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
it is not great for us what that american

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

Totally agree with you, dude. This was a disgusting decision, and it's not the first time that athletes from other countries have been screwed over AFTER victory by American complaints. But to do it like a country like Netherlands Antilles? That goes COMPLETELY against everything the Olympics was supposed to stand for. Just because the USA hates to feel cheated - by a skinny little guy from a country few people could point out on a map - they have to go and ruin the best night of his life. I watched Martina from the qualifiers onwards - I was even at the Birds' Nest on Monday night - and the he ran his heart out.

To see him be screwed over like this is a total travesty.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   

This is heartbreaking Not only for churandy martina but also all the hopes and dreams of the country of the netherlands antilles (curacao). It's just not right. What selfish of the american team I supported them during all the olympics but today I have another feeling. What a Shame for the american teamm reporting such a small error which could not make difference in the results. Nice way of chasing the gold. (churandy error, and upcoming Bolt's test for doping)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
We have a record for Most COnsecutive ATS anoyumous posts...

Its sucks that he broke the rules...

But, rules are RULES...

Think China was mad when one of thier swimers got D'Qd because of a false start... Yup...

But, you shouldn't break the Rules, no matter HOW small the country may be...

The US has had more medals Retraced then ANY OTHER country... so, Fair is Fair...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Typical americans ! Can't win the regular way,....will cheat and nitpick to get what they want,.....they have to always be better than everyone else.
Really shows ones true colors !!!!!! Take the medals,....America needs it to prove something,...WE on the other hand showed what we are made of !!

Daniela De Sousa
Netherland Antilles ! ( and proud )

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
ATS anoynomus poster...

You say Americans can't win the regular way... but, isnt it this RUNNER who is the one tha cheated... meaning, that THEY cant win the regular way...

If this event "Shows" what you are made of, then you are admitinng you are an island of cheaters?

I suggest taking a step back, and observing without your emotions getting in the way...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   

All my life I've dreamed about living in the U.S but after this no more. Churandy could have step on the line but didnt disturb the other americans. But Churnady you are still the Champ, We are with you

Australia

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
@ TKainZero

Gosh, I really thought that the Dutch were narrowminded. Americans are obviously worse ....

Listen bro, YES he stepped one or twice on the line YES YES YES.
However consider this:

1. Did he step on the line in such way that he gained an advantage over, or obstructed his competitors in order to get to second place? No, if he didn't scratch the line with the outside part of his shoe would still have finished second and therefore he DESERVES the silver metal.

2. Did he cheat by taking performance enhancing drugs to knowingly and unfairly gain physical advantage over his competitors? No, the guy is 100% clean and has worked his @$%# off run the race of his life.

3. Is (whatever his name is that was gifted second place) really the second fastest athlete of the world on the 200m sprint? No, he's the fourth fastest and maybe deserves a wooden medal if anything.

4. Does America really CARE about silver medals? NOBODY in the US will remember (what's his name) after 6 months from now. Churandy's silver medal would have been this nation's single greatest sports achievement by an individual athlete EVER!

5. "Rules are rules". Please read this story and ask yourself if "rules" really should always "be rules". That's why in this world we have judges, that's why we have juries, that's why whe have words like "sportsmanship" that's why we are humans and not robots.
My guess is that not only Martina but also (what's his name) is feeling pretty bad right now. So nobody really wins.
But who cares right? "The rules are the rules" lol

Does America really still wonder why the anti-america feelings are increasing at such pace in the world? If you want to be "the world's greatest country" than ACT like it .... in all senses.

Congratulations with your well deserved silver medal. Peace.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Yes, the Americans pointed out that he stepped out of the lane when they were reviewing the tapes on Spearmon. Fair is fair. He did step on the line. I feel bad for Churandy but did you see the look on Spearmon's face when he learned he was DQ'ed? Priceless.
No matter. With those Jamaican speedsters there is no one going to touch the gold for the next 8 years or so.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

the rules are also that you cannot protest after 3 minutes.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

There is no conspiracy. NBC replayed it right after the race finished. Martina stepped out of his lane as well, and it was as clear as day. The only conspiracy I saw was the fact that they disqalified Spearmon and only after his protest did they DQ Martina.

Speaking of conspiracy theories. What do you think about the dozen or so American Olympians that all "mysteriously" got some type of food poisoning?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Jada jada jada! You see, Churandy won silver on the 200m leaving Crawford as last in in race! How are your pretty face doing now America???? God does make everything right!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
They have to change those rules. He and Crawford stepped on the line, but as far as I can see. They did not interfere with the other runners. They both deserved to have their medals.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Apparently there is a time limit of 30 minutes after the completion of a race to lodge a formal protest. The Americans were past the 30 minutes when they protested Churandy.

So, wait and see but I think Churandy may get his medal back.

www.tas-cas.org...

[edit on 6-9-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
i was watching that race. it was terrible what they did to martina. BUT check this out:

sports.yahoo.com...

top topics

join