It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The party's over for Europe: The bear is back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

The party's over for Europe: The bear is back

www.theglobeandmail.com

South Ossetia may be very small, but it has become the scene of an event of colossal proportions: the return of Great Power politics, in which tanks are the deciding factor, not "soft power," let alone international legitimacy.

This huge change follows inevitably from Russia's regression to its own historic version of empire, which existed under the czars and was revived by Stalin. It is based on a tacit bargain: The Russians accept authoritarian rule and the loss of personal freedom in exchange for an imperial role on the global scene, starting with the "near abroad" - countries such as Georgia that used to belong to the Soviet Union.

For all its weaknesses, the Russian Federation has all it needs to function as a Great Power, from a determined ruling elite to a vast nuclear arsenal, adequate military forces now being modernized, and a revitalized intelligence service. Hence, the reversion of Russia to the dangerous rules of Great Power politics compels all others to change their behaviour as well - it is not a game, and participation is not voluntary.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This is a good analysis of the current situation by a Canadian newspaper columnist.

www.theglobeandmail.com

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Yes and while all those gung ho types are jumping up and down with glee whilst uttering those now imortal or should I say immoral words America can kick anyones ass. Well no they cannot and they the Goverment have now upped the stakes where this time around it may well be America that fades into history.

With the country so deep in debt you need a telescope to see where it starts and with an over stretched military this is not the time for blowing out ones chest. But is this the last gasp of a once great nation determined to go out with a bang.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The Globe and Mail is a NWO paper. They are full of shiat.

The author is full of fail. Seriously. Ukraine is under threat? Are you kidding me? Ukraine is pro-Russia. The only one against Russia is Yushenko and he's about to fall.

The author doesn't even talk about how Georgia started it all by killing UN peacekeepers, killing hundreds of civilians and Russia asking for a security council at the UN that was blocked by the UK and US. And when Russia ``breaks international law`` it's OMG RUSSIA IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! But when NATO does it, it's ``they are fighting for freedom and democracy!!!``

Who have military bases in more than 125 countries? Who overthrowed dozens of governments in the last 15 years? Who invaded or bombed dozens of countries in the last 15 years? Who have the biggest military budget in the world by FAR? Who torture? Who doesn't give a damn about it's constitution, civil rights, international law ect... ?

The author is a big hypocrit. Please Globe and Mail, fire this incompetent TWAT.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
But is this the last gasp of a once great nation determined to go out with a bang.

I agree. From the start of the Georgia conflict I felt this was the beginning of Russia's last hurrah. They're attempting to rebuild the USSR and it very well could lead to WWIII... a war Russia cannot win but one which it will certainly cause as much chaos as possible before losing in.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Burd, I'm quite sure you know I ment the US and not Russia. And on the contrary whilst America's economy is going down the pan Russia's is growing each year. And as I have just stated elsewhere, russians are not quite the paper tigers that you and other Americans think they are, to date no one has ever beaten them in modern warfare in their own country.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silenceisall

This is a good analysis of the current situation by a Canadian newspaper columnist.

www.theglobeandmail.com

So is Russia going to get its old flag back?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
you know what gets me all this OMG the Bear has woken up

Russia has never been asleep its sat back and rebuilt the break up of the soviet union means it had to change some internal policy and take stock it did that in about 1 to 2 years then it set about rebuilding itself its people confidence and gradualy becomming one of the biggest gas exporters in the whole of europe and also have a large proportion of oil pipelines running through its "allied" states

Economics and Energy are how its going to hold the world to ransom no not with nucular weapons although there still not adverse to saber rattling

you guys need to think while alot of people thought they where asleep its infact been the rest of the world sleeping
Russia probably has more "spies" around the world in different places and whispering in so many peoples ears than it ever had with its litte dissagreement with the US

Just because the big old bear has just reminded everyone wh it is, this is a warning that Russian and the US arnt the only big kids in the park anymore the more worrying concept is China
Now if they truly wake up and come in to their own the cold wars going look like a sand pit fight in kindergarden

Russia waking up isnt bad for Europe its bad for the US because there not the only ones getting people to dance to their tune anymore lol

sorry if ive gone a bit of track here but just my thoughts

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
How could you beat them in their own country its so cold?

If there ever was a hell it was Russia.

Ice freezes things and it stays their forever ... a living hell

FIRE burns things and ends them forever... Which is worse?

Id say Being frozen in time having to see it over and over again.

But seriously...

oh hey btw mushroom i see your back in another Russian Thread

The bear is back. This is the most rediculous situation to ever occur in the history of mankind. Who elected my cousins third grader as president and who elected my uncles 2nd grader as the other president?

I smell Sulfur. Hell is coming to our doorsteps.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amitsumikaboshi
you know what gets me all this OMG the Bear has woken up

Russia has never been asleep .
Russia waking up isnt bad for Europe its bad for the US because there not the only ones getting people to dance to their tune anymore lol

Damn Amitsumikaboshi(lol hard to spell that name
) thats the smartest thing i heard so far this year

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
basic economics and war of influence is a great way to boost a flagging world economy second to that is world war but the after effects of that outweights the initial profit,

Russia and America will go back to their chess game no direct contact just influence a little bit of business here a few weapons there everyones a winner lol

btw thanks for the compliment but its just my view and im more than aware there will be many that disagree with my view

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
If you look at the internal Ukrainian polls and those done by polling groups ex-nation and the party ship divisions, half are pro Russia, half not. The Russians are not stupid, they know that HAVING an empire is expensive and bankrupted them. They have no interest in expansion and they know that too, their best chance of enriching themselves is through export or resource management. That means no oil hegemony in the middle east by the OPEC group, backed by US military might. Ukraine and the crimea re ideal staging posts for watching Turkey and checking the US military strength in Turkey as a source of protecting any US owned euro bound oil.

People tend to demonize Russia and there ain't nothing wrong with that if it tickles your biscuit but to ascribe to a group a degree of evil is usually accompanied by simplification of capacity. They can be mean, they are emotional, hardy and very hard edged but what they are not is stupid. Georgia was a test to see if the USA still had teeth. It does not sadly. The Russian wanted the polish based US missiles no wear near them. Putin was born KGB, raised and trained and KGB he remains.

Bears hibernate.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Yes and while all those gung ho types are jumping up and down with glee whilst uttering those now imortal or should I say immoral words America can kick anyones ass. Well no they cannot and they the Goverment have now upped the stakes where this time around it may well be America that fades into history.

With the country so deep in debt you need a telescope to see where it starts and with an over stretched military this is not the time for blowing out ones chest. But is this the last gasp of a once great nation determined to go out with a bang.

You do know the article is about Russia, correct? Or, do you just blindly trash the US in every post?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

But is this the last gasp of a once great nation determined to go out with a bang.

I agree. From the start of the Georgia conflict I felt this was the beginning of Russia's last hurrah. They're attempting to rebuild the USSR and it very well could lead to WWIII... a war Russia cannot win but one which it will certainly cause as much chaos as possible before losing in.

Nobody will win WW3, because it will go nuclear quickly.
There will be no win for Russia or America, and it has nothing to do with who is stronger and weaker.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BLV12

Don't assume that it will go nuclear quick, fact is that nukes will probably never be used uness it is a false flag.
The NWO do not want a nuclear wasteland, they want a depopulated world, not a dead world,
there are many bombs around with almost as much power as a nuke with no fallout.
Nuclear will and always will remain a threat, by the time it comes for a country to use a nuke, they will be so far gone that they wouldn't even be able to give the orders to fire it.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Last hurrah?
As in, the last ( probably first also ) time they are defending a nation instead of taking it?

Because, we all do know that it was infact NOT RUSSIA who provoked this incident, dont we?

Or are you baiting?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
reply to post by BLV12

Don't assume that it will go nuclear quick, fact is that nukes will probably never be used uness it is a false flag.
The NWO do not want a nuclear wasteland, they want a depopulated world, not a dead world,
there are many bombs around with almost as much power as a nuke with no fallout.
Nuclear will and always will remain a threat, by the time it comes for a country to use a nuke, they will be so far gone that they wouldn't even be able to give the orders to fire it.

You do realise how absurd your theory sounds? Do you believe aliens will also prevent a nuclear war by disabling the nukes from their space ships?

I'm sure the NWO didn't want a Europe in ruins, but that's what they got.
I'm sure they didn't want two Japanese cities devastated by nukes either. But they got it.
If there was a third world war, leaders will be under imense stress and pressure like they've never felt before. Cool heads may prevail for the most, but eventually someone will crack when they are on the verge of loosing, and then hello nuclear holocaust.
Don't think your NWO, whoever they are meant to be, will stop it, or try to.
Depopulation is what you guys who claim is their agenda right? WW3, nuclear war, depopulation achieved.

new topics

top topics

join