It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The id. The ego. The super-ego. And in the future there will be an 'ultra-ego'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Most people are familiar with the notion of the: id, ego and super-ego.
Therefore, I do not see the point in providing a lengthy definition. However, if one is uncertain I will provide links featuring the definition of such notions.

With that said, I am willing to believe that there will be, a fourth entry added to the already existent three notions I pointed out. This fourth entry, I believe will be titled the 'ultra-ego'. What is it, you may ask?

Well, I am confident this ultra-ego pertains to, the direct use of computers. Via the computer, for quite some time now, people have been interacting on the web posing to be what they in reality are not. They can claim to be rich, a woman, a man, hurt, happy, post pictures which in actuality are not them, lie about where they live, what they do, who they are, their age, their name, their beliefs, EVERYTHING can be a lie. Therefore, the practice of such, via the internet and computer based 'living' for lack of a better word is causing an evolution which has Never Occurred Previously In History.

The evolution of an Ultra-Ego. Where anonymity or the sense thereof, can cause a person to fake, pose, manipulate, and maintain the persona of whomever and whatsoever they desire and choose. Lying and pretending are okay in the Ultra-Ego state, as is manipulation and outright fakery. The Ultra-Ego is stemmed from the use of the internet, be it chat rooms/forums/instant messengers/emails/blogging/myspace(and similar sites) etc. In fact, any form of communication with others or even amongst one's own self! via the internet can be seen in a sense as partaking in an Ultra-Ego fashion.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I don't really know much about Freudian Psychology, but the concept sounds interesting to me. I think that not only does everyone have to potential to have what you label as an "ultra-ego" on the internet, I think it can seep in to reality outside the internet, as seen with those "Anonymous" protest rallies against Scientology, where everyone wore those masks that V from "V for Vendetta" wore, referred to as Project Chanology.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by OnionCloud]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I think I disagree. I believe what you are referring to is narcissism. Or at best, and alternate ego.

But the reason I don't think what you say will actually happen is because everyone realizes it's just the internet and that anyone can do exactly what you said. People are so skeptical that even if it's true what you are, it isn't even worth posting because nobody is going to believe it.

One of the biggest things I've noticed about the internet is that when someone posts a topic in a large enough community, you can bet you will get every response you can imagine. After awhile you can see a topic and pretty much guess whats inside it. And that applies to pretty much all topics.

So I dunno, I think people would have to actually buy what people were claiming for what you say to come true.

join