It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Scientists: We Can 'See' Sound And 'Hear' Light"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

The textbook rewrite: The brain can, if it must, directly use sound to see and light to hear.

The study was published last week in the journal BMC Neuroscience...

...Researchers trained monkeys to locate a light flashed on a screen. When the light was very bright, they easily found it; when it was dim, it took a long time. But if a dim light made a brief sound, the monkeys found it in no time - too quickly, in fact, than can be explained by the old theories.

This article highlights a study that is rethinking the way human perceive their environment.

i find it fascinating because simple things like what and how we see and hear being able to change seemingly so drastically make me wonder what other mistakes we have made in discerning what our environment is and how it works.

Edit: link

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Animal]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

the first time I ingested peyote legally on a reservation in AZ, I experienced this and again with other psychedelics. Seeing sound and hearing colors. So now that scientists have shown that perception is more than they originally thought, will people continue to deny the benefits of natural psychedelics? Including those that are found naturally in your own glandular secretions, certain types of fungi and 80 percent of acacia trees around the world, to name but a few? Natural life forms that when consumed cause a human being to have an altered perception of reality. (not necessarily hallucinations)

also if seeing is believing for most people, how will they react to this finding?

vision de son et lumiere

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Ok, before we get all giddy and jump to some really messed up conclusions here, this article is NOT saying that we can literally "see" sound and "hear" light.

Reading comprehension folks.

What it IS saying is quiet obvious even without the wasted money on the research. What is going on is they are playing a sound when the monkey is trying to locate the dim light with the sound coming from the direction of the light. The sound draws attention to the light allowing the monkey to find it better.

Picture walking through the woods, there is a small animal just on the skirts of your vision. Technically you SHOULD see it, but you not focused on it. Then it moves and all of a sudden you now see it from the sound it made. Same thing this research is saying.

So no, there is no psychedelic crap going on.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I thought it was just me, heh.

The same reasoning is behind having noise accompany warning lights.

That or everyone has a Peyote flashback when a cop pulls them over !! lolol

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

judging from your immediate response, you never have done any psychedelics, so therefore your opinion is worth that of two pennies...

I fully comprehend the finding and it does tie in with what I have experienced, along with others experience. The sound helps you to see whatever it is that is moving faster, but when the brain is in such an altered state, one is able to actually see the sound that is made.

our five senses are merely receivers and in some ways transmitters of electromagnetic energy. aka everything within the confines, the fringe, and on the outskirts of the visible light spectrum.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by iiinvision

Judging by your post, I would have to say that you do not fully comprehend what the article is saying. Far from it actually!

No where in this article does it say ANYTHING about psychedelic drug usage altering how the brain functions. No where. You personally added that part in with your initial post in response to the article, and now you have this messed up sense of reasoning that this is what the article was referring too. So how about you take your experience of reading comprehension from school and apply it to the article, rather than your experience of being a drug user messing up your ability to comprehend a very simple clear and concise article on how the brain functions.

The article, in case you do not wish to re-read it, states very simply that the auditory and vision centers of the brain do not work as separate functions as previously thought. This research is showing that the two systems work together in sync, allowing a species to locate things faster than if the two systems were separate.

One further point, drug use does not make you see a 'real' underlying world out there. Drug use screws your brain up and if done to an extreme, can screw it up permanently or kill you. If you think even for one second that your experience on the drug has 'opened' your eyes and everyone else is just stupid, then you are making nothing more than excuses to justify your habits to yourself. If that helps you sleep better at night, then so be it, but do not for one minute think you have a better understanding than I do because you decided to screw your head up. It's not cool and it isn't funny and you come off as a moron; there are kids on this site and the last thing they need to see is some druggy telling them how cool it is and how it will open their eyes. Your pathetic and sick. Get help man. Seriously.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex

One further point, drug use does not make you see a 'real' underlying world out there. Drug use screws your brain up and if done to an extreme, can screw it up permanently or kill you. If you think even for one second that your experience on the drug has 'opened' your eyes and everyone else is just stupid, then you are making nothing more than excuses to justify your habits to yourself. If that helps you sleep better at night, then so be it, but do not for one minute think you have a better understanding than I do because you decided to screw your head up. It's not cool and it isn't funny and you come off as a moron; there are kids on this site and the last thing they need to see is some druggy telling them how cool it is and how it will open their eyes. Your pathetic and sick. Get help man. Seriously.

nobody said anything about me having a better understanding than you. That is something conjured up in your own brain.
before I continue, let me specify that psychedelics are not necessarily the same as hardcore drugs. Most psychedelics are already found naturally occuring all over the world.
It seems that you have succumbed to what authoritative people have dictated to you throughout your life. Maybe someone in your family was a drug addict, I don't know.

Further more the word ''drug'' is very connotative and if you further wish to discuss, take the emotional content out of what you are talking about.

You say that drug use screws up your brain. I say that you are only half right, and half only because there are a multitude of different types of drugs in the world. meaning not all drugs are the same.

That being said, psychedelics are a class all their own. Taken to the extreme, Im sure acid can fry your brain, but acid is man made. There are many other naturally occuring psychedelics that don't involve much human synthesis.

If you have never done psychedelics, than your opinion is like that of a blind man condemning a picasso painting in this case. You have never been there and you have never experienced it, so there fore you spew propaganda and what your parents and authoritative figures throughout your life told you.

Only in the last century have drugs been condemned in the way that they are now.

also your term druggie implies that I do drugs all the time which is misleading. You also obfuscated what I said a few times throughout your response. I don't do drugs, but occaisionally, a few times a year I consume psychedelic drugs legally on different reservations throughout the united states.
The benefits of psychedelics far outweigh the negative effects, but only if you have control over your own brain.
I developed mental control without the use of drugs and made a personal decision to consume psychedelics.

Whilst frying on mushrooms, I experienced a synthesis of my senses and sight becoming sound and sound becoming sight was just one of the myriad of sense blending effects that I experienced

I see your side of the coin and I see timothy leary's side of the coin. both are neither right nor wrong, but how can you understand what I am talking about unless you have experienced it? The fact is that you cannot understand and you will continue to think that I am a ''druggie'' or ''crazy'' or whatever other adjective pops up in your brain to describe a person like me.

The fact is, is that on this thread you only encountered a small facet of who I am, and I only encountered a small facet of who you really are.

Have an amazing day

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   

nobody said anything about me having a better understanding than you. That is something conjured up in your own brain.
before I continue, let me specify that psychedelics are not necessarily the same as hardcore drugs. Most psychedelics are already found naturally occuring all over the world.
It seems that you have succumbed to what authoritative people have dictated to you throughout your life. Maybe someone in your family was a drug addict, I don't know.

Ah ok, so lets tell the kids here that years and years of research on what these drugs can do to your body and brain is all false because you experienced the drugs. Good job man, real nice. Natural or not any drug that screws up how the brain functions is not opening your eyes to anything. It's just screwing up your brain.

Further more the word ''drug'' is very connotative and if you further wish to discuss, take the emotional content out of what you are talking about.

The word drug is correctly applied in context, that said, the emotional content will continue because you are a disgrace to the children viewing this thread. Kids are an impressionable lot, they would rather listen to the one guy who says it's ok instead of the ten who tell them the truth. Hopefully these kids are smart enough to stay away from the crap and LEARN about the world around them rather then hallucinate and think they are turning into a puddle of orange juice.

You say that drug use screws up your brain. I say that you are only half right, and half only because there are a multitude of different types of drugs in the world. meaning not all drugs are the same.

The word given in the context of discussion is fully correct.

That being said, psychedelics are a class all their own. Taken to the extreme, Im sure acid can fry your brain, but acid is man made. There are many other naturally occuring psychedelics that don't involve much human synthesis.

Natural does not equal safe, there is plenty of research out there on all types of drugs showing the long term effects on the human body and brain. No, they are not safe or cool. Can we stop justifying this to children who visit this site?

If you have never done psychedelics, than your opinion is like that of a blind man condemning a picasso painting in this case. You have never been there and you have never experienced it, so there fore you spew propaganda and what your parents and authoritative figures throughout your life told you.

Like any drug user you are doing nothing more than making an excuse to justify your habits to yourself. It's disgusting really. Seek professional help, before you kill yourself or before you kill someone else thinking they are a giant talking tv dinner.

Only in the last century have drugs been condemned in the way that they are now.

Only in the last century have we had the technology to fully understand all the interactions going on when on these drugs and how they screw up the brain.

also your term druggie implies that I do drugs all the time which is misleading. You also obfuscated what I said a few times throughout your response. I don't do drugs, but occaisionally, a few times a year I consume psychedelic drugs legally on different reservations throughout the united states.

You most certainly do drugs as psychedelics are classified as a drug. You first say you don't and then in the next sentence you describe exactly which drug you take. Of course, the legal varieties out there are still pending on classification and made illegal. Not sure what the legal status is on reservations however.

I'm out of this discussion, your a sick bastard who is trying to justify his drug use to himself and at the same time glorify that use to kids on this site who hopefully wont do it.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

lol, not the psychadelics, you can often experience synthesia directly under their influnece. so he does know what he is saying.

All drugs are different, some are actually useful and peyote would be imho one of those rare ones

Narcotics like coc aine or meth can lead to psychotic hallucinations, distortions of reality, your brain cells are actually dying your dopamine receptors over firing and a great reduction of brain fluids is taking place as well as a depletion of important chemicals

In psychadelics your altering nerotransmitters only, the cells themselves never die and the chemicals alter you perceptions and things like hearing light and seeing color are possible

In fact under the use of lsd paitents often immeadiately cease smoking, taking alchohol or other drugs permanent;y, proben 100% complete cure of alchoholism on a single session with a shrink under the influence of '___' is well documented

The only real danger from psychadelics is...your senses are playing some tricks on you and it can unerve a person, if ever legalized I think they should be used for benefit with a psychiatrist, shamen... not loose in the streets lol

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Your completely wrong the reality is that psychadelics are approved for religous use in parts of America and around the world. The vast majority of Scientific research backs up what he is saying... it's very safe to use psychadelics, there is zero physical damage, zero loss of brain cells

It does happen that people are given chemicals that masquerade as what they should be do to the illegal trade but the drugs he is refering to are not bad for you.

Marijuan being a mild psychadelic is all but legal in 48 states, decriminalized in certain amounts, ditto for europe as the effects are known to be extremly mild and rank below asparin actually

here

This is the proposed chart for drugs in Europe... you will see clearly that marijuana and '___' are both classed as under cigareetes and tabacco and rank alongside aspirin in terms of harm...

Heroin is no 1 but since the chart is European I assure you Meth Amphetamine is even worse for you

But the poster isn't wrong in what he is saying

With that said, no one should do illegal drugs, but to discuss openly and intelligently the reasons for illegality is acceptable and neccessary, ignorance about drugs is MURDERING more teens every day than anything else is.

The problem is that they are lied to and told things are Harmful that aren't and told things are legal that will kill them and they experiment without ANY knowledge and encounter things they realize are harmless... and then think All drugs are harmless

Until

Until they hit the ones that aren't and destroy thier lives

Education and truth is always the answer to save lives, not blanket dogma that peple will self determine is false and lead themselves inadvertantly to their doom
'
Ignorance is the real enemy

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
And your both off topic LOL

Synthesia happens naturally in humans and is drug induced sometimes by various psychadelics as well, and it's interesting, salvia a currently legal herb that can be bought here in AZ can sometimes induce the experience as well.

this is a link to mixed signals, it helps explain the experience from the pov of people who have this "condition" in daily life in various ways

synthesia

Hearing light and seeing sound are not all that common but there are a wide variety of types of synthesia and what the researchers reported those monkies can do is not unknown to quite a few people from personal experience be it being born that way or induced otherwise

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yes, did get a bit off topic in this, regardless though, the article IS NOT talking about altering the chemicals in the brain. Never has it mentioned this and no matter how much we want to pretend that using drugs creates some freaky deaky alternate reality, it still does not apply to the context of the article itself. Having an hallucination does not mean you are experiencing some profound aspect of reality. What is happening is the drug is altering how your brain would normally function. Reality is still reality, no matter how distorted your brains view of it gets. Distorting that view doesn't change how things work and it never will.

As it stands, none of this is even remotely correct in the context of the article, so no, the poster does not have a clue as to what he is talking about. He failed to comprehend what he was reading and imagined that somehow this article applied to his use of psychedelic drugs and now we have you making statements about the same.

Hearing light and seeing sound are not all that common but there are a wide variety of types of synthesia and what the researchers reported those monkies can do is not unknown to quite a few people from personal experience be it being born that way or induced otherwise

Please take the time to read the article, this is NOT what it is talking about. You people seriously have no clue what reading comprehension is and it is very difficult to hold an intelligent conversation about an interesting, yet obvious research article.

Again, just to drive the point home, no where in this article does it mention drug use or altering how the brain functions. It is a very clear and concise article, the failure in this discussion is peoples inability to comprehend what they are reading, not on my understanding of drug abuse.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

you have your points about the monkey thing and the faulty reading comp, these guys may have come to their conclusions due to lifestyle habits, but then again you seem to be suffering from that 10 fold, your close minded out look on "drugs" is probably changing your perception of their statements.

what are "drugs" chemicals and minerals concentrated by man made devices, things like '___', mushrooms, peyote and '___' are naturally occurring hallucinogens, dmt is actually produced in your brain, with moderated use psychedelics can unblock mental walls that cover a proper paradigm, these mental walls being constructed of media controlled society or personal misconceptions of reality. for every action their is an equal and opposite reaction, yes drugs do harm you but their benefits are just the same, the drugs are the proverbial pool Que and our perception is the white ball, the correct amount of force to cause a proper change in mentality is present, but weather it goes in the right direction is up to the player, any drug can have benefits but only when the user knows how to properly set up his environment, dosing and ect. perceiving this "non visible under lying world" is not all to crazy if your willing to have an open mind, which it seems like you lack, we 0nly perceive a very small portion of what exists, whose to say psychedelics cant allow you to perceive a larger portion, not that someone who got that far would necessarily be able to know what he is seeing.
edit on 25-8-2011 by humanityinsanity because: accidental contradicting statement

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
see sound and hear light, hmm taste colors sounds like something i tried back in college a while back LOL

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

please tone it down. or become a politician.

he didnt say anything worth attacking him over, he was talking about his own experiences with having those centers of his brain mingling around.. and that is exactly what the article is about.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Things are not what they look like, that is untill you see them.

edit: Which world do think is real. Do we need to get psychedelic? I think the hallucinations are there to change your ego. To open up your mind. Hallucinations for so far, are real to the one experiencing them. Are there three dimensions?
edit on 2011/8/28 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Light is vibration. Sound is vibration. From light comes color. From sound comes music. Some of us can see the colors of music. This is the best way I can explain it having no formal education in this field. There is no way to make anyone understand this with my limited vocabulary but.... its all about a dot within a dot , going back to the one light, the one sorce, the prime creator. Vibration, light, color, music, soul.
again I apologize for not being able to explain this more clearly. Ive done my best.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
If i am laid in bed in the dark and a loud noise happens i see a flash of light.
There really is only light, sound is made of light as is everything.
There is no such thing as color, we make it up in our brains, i watched a tv programme about it called 'Can you see what i see?'.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

So,,,,,,,,when a camera caputres a rainbow on film is the cameras brain making this up as well? OMG I hope you dont believe everything you se on television. Ps cameras dont have brains .
edit on 28-8-2011 by Magantice because: edited for spelling due to crappy typing

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Magantice

The person viewing the photo does have a brain though.
PS. Cameras don't have brains but some people do! Some people 'think' that what the brain is telling them is true, and don't think to check.
edit on 28-8-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join