It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"If a tree falls and nobody is around to hear it did it just happen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
"If a tree falls and nobody is around to hear it did it just happen"?

1.Every thing creates a sound so the tree hitting the floor creates sound waves but if nobody hears them do they exist.So does anything exist out of our conscience mind.

2.Or everything that is out of your existence at that moment isnt real atall and doesnt exist so the woods that the tree doesnt exist the grass surrounding the tree doesnt exist and the tree itself doesnt exist so even though it fell it never fell cause it doesnt exist.

3.It does exist because it left a hole in the ground and branches everywhere but you never saw the tree fall so your mind created the branches and the hole so therefore the tree doesnt exist but your mind created an excuse for the hole in the ground so to you the tree exists but to the universe it doesnt.

4.The tree exists no matter what the hole in the ground and the branches everywhere is proof that the tree fell end of story.

Which is more likely

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8

1.Every thing creates a sound so the tree hitting the floor creates sound waves but if nobody hears them do they exist.So does anything exist out of our conscience mind.

2.Or everything that is out of your existence at that moment isnt real atall and doesnt exist so the woods that the tree doesnt exist the grass surrounding the tree doesnt exist and the tree itself doesnt exist so even though it fell it never fell cause it doesnt exist.

3.It does exist because it left a hole in the ground and branches everywhere but you never saw the tree fall so your mind created the branches and the hole so therefore the tree doesnt exist but your mind created an excuse for the hole in the ground so to you the tree exists but to the universe it doesnt.

4.The tree exists no matter what the hole in the ground and the branches everywhere is proof that the tree fell end of story.

Which is more likely

Yes, when it falls it does make a sound. No human may be near enough to become aware of the event, but it certainly ocurs. "The Universe" is aware of the event, that is all that is necessary.

The Tree knew it fell.
The ground knew.
The bugs and animals knew.

Reality both exists, and doesn't exist simultaneously.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by billyjoinedat2k8

Yes the event just happened.
Yes it just made a sound as long as something is there to pick of the vibrations created.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
So....I was up in the cascades a couple weekends ago and had to go to the bathroom. As I am squating I holler down to my husband "If I pee in the middle of the forest is it still indecent exposure?"

Thoughts to ponder....

True story by the way

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
What if a deaf person watches it fall?

Does that count?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

lol another mindblowing question to ponder.... I actually have never thought of that.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8

Which is more likely

Well let us take a journey into the mystical realms of common sense.

The question is, if a tree falls and nobody's around to hear it, did it just happen.

Well first, we established a scenario where an existing object falls.
The question is if an established event happened, what would you think the answer is?

Yes, the tree fell, it doesn't matter if it fell on the moon, it fell, because the question is not if something falls does it make a sound, the question is questioning the very existance of such a thing that has actually been established by the contents of the question.

Simply put, Yes, the tree fell, did it make a sound? I don't know, where is the tree?

-Jimmy

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Depends on the age of reality where the fallen tree exists. Sounds crazy I know... read on. I assure you there's logic behind this statement.

If the tree was created in it's fallen state, then the sound would only exist if something or someone observing it understood that the fallen tree must have once been standing tall. Then the entire history of the tree's fall (including the sound) would be created at that moment, in addition to it's growth and anything else that we deem to be "required" for what we see to exist. It's a case of creating the past in the future, or defining your reality's past using a set of rules. After all, we're just looking at complex waveforms and trying to make sense of them... but no sense exists until we define it.

I mentioned "age of reality" because this universe might only be 200 "actual years" old for all we know (or less) if we consider that this is more or less a simulated experience. The rest of the past we created along the way via the process defined above.

Just think about how we dream. In our dream we may find trees that appear hundreds of years old... yet our dream lasts only a few minutes. This life may be no different. It's all very convincing until it's over. Then we wake up and laugh about it with our friends and family... or if we wake up all the way, we laugh with ourself because only we exist.

The main thing is though, that when we create the past, we're creating future experiences for ourselves. So using a set of rules to define reality is actually a very creative process, despite the frustrations surrounding our limitations.

I hope I made sense, lol. It's a subject I enjoy and tend to ramble a fair bit when I talk about it.

top topics

join