It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M134 gatling gun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Anyone seen this little gem yet?

shock.military.com...

3000 R/M YOIKS!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
i'll take two and one of those pine fresheners please
that this is one bad mother.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I prefer the M163 VADS.

Armed with a General Electric M63 20mm Rotary Cannon capable of firing 3000 rounds per minute in bursts or 1000 RPM in continuous fire. Effective out to 1200 meters, you do NOT want to meet one of these.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by ShadeWolf]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DenverMan

Yeah, they're in use in a few countries around the world. Nice piece of kit.

Personally I prefer the GAU-12 Equalizer. 25mm, 3,600 - 4,200 rounds per minute.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

I was trained on one of these while I was in the military, they can put alot of rounds down range....that's for sure! When they were used in Vietnam, the gunners were getting in trouble for using it on human targets (you can imagine the carnage from a 20MM round!). The government said it was an inhumane practice, they only wanted the gunners to fire on enemies that had military gear on.......so they kept firing on enemy troops anyway, saying that their canteens, helmets, etc. were military gear (which they were). Fact is, it was just a horrible way to go I am sure!

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

Yeah, I can see the brass giving guys trouble about that. And if the damage caused by a .50 BMG is any indication, a 20mm would splatter you across the next three counties. But I don't understand why this was frowned upon. A dead combatant is not killing any more soldiers. Plus, a 20mm is is less inhumane than what the VC did to prisoners. Plus, its a faster death than a 5.56

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Exactly my thought. There is nothing pretty about war, anything goes.....

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Just because the "bad guys" are doing horrible things doesn't mean the "good guys" should be able to do anything that is at least slightly better. That's disgusting thinking.

The problem with using this gun on the bad guys is that it engages them at such long range you don't know if the person you're shooting is actually a VC, or what's behind them (which could be civilian). "Being safe" is no excuse - well, unless you're a Nazi. They loved that idea.

top topics

join