It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embedded Trojan Software - China Takes Action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Interesting read, i'm sure the Chinese have very good reasons to enforce thier PRC encryption algorithms. They're not stupid they know how dirty the US can operate and its a smart and logical move on China's part.

"The United States exported control software that included a Trojan Horse, and used the software to detonate the Trans-Siberian gas pipeline in 1982. The Trojan ran a test on the pipeline that doubled the usual pressure, causing the explosion

www.theregister.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
see? who's the offensive power this time?

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by taobo33
see? who's the offensive power this time?

Who are you referring to? offensive positions sometimes pay off when your countries security is on the line. China has every right to develop thier own national standard of privacy and security just as we could do the same. The question raised here is how much longer will non-open source software be a reality? This could hurt the US in some ways such as eavesdropping through Windows machines since they make up the majority of the market. It's time people to emigrate to Linux.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I know at the begining of the article it says the U.S. exported the software but I wonder if they misrepresented the facts because later in the body of the article it says:

"Soviet agents had been so keen to acquire US technology, they didn't question its provenance".

Now I remember back then that the KGB and GRU were stealing tech bigtime from the U.S. in an effort to keep up with our widening lead in technology at the time.

If the software was in fact stolen either from us or an end user in a western nation - they deserve what they got.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

"Soviet agents had been so keen to acquire US technology, they didn't question its provenance".

Perhaps it was a little bit of both? The US would be smart to attach it to both exported software and domestic homeland software - just in case of an "accident" as described. It would be the most logical thing to do, have a fall back trigger just incase it gets stolen.

top topics

join